Hacking How To Softmod (Hack) Your PSP

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello,
may I request assistance? The last time i touched my psp must be about a year or two ago, so i dont really know whats what anymore.

I've got an old psp, thats on firmware 6.35
It also has PRO-B4 firmware (temp)

How do I go about updating this to B8 or higher so thats compatible with popsloader (as requested in this topic http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-to-installing-popsloader-v3-on-pro-b8-through-pro-c-cfw.301579/ )?
I guess Pro C from the first post is higher than B8 and will support the popsloader?

Should I update to 6.60 first?

Thanks for any help

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I AM USING A PSP 3000 ON OFW 6.20.
I AM ATTEMPTING TO USE YOUR 6.20 PRO (permanent) installation.

Uh when I launch the permanent patch, i tap X twice to test it. My PSP didn't reboot, where the Sony screen appears, it just went straight to the main menu. Does this mean it fails???
It doesn't do a full power off. When it goes back to the menu, go to the system settings and check your version number, and if it says PRO at the end, then it works.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
may I request assistance? The last time i touched my psp must be about a year or two ago, so i dont really know whats what anymore.

I've got an old psp, thats on firmware 6.35
It also has PRO-B4 firmware (temp)

How do I go about updating this to B8 or higher so thats compatible with popsloader (as requested in this topic http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-to-installing-popsloader-v3-on-pro-b8-through-pro-c-cfw.301579/ )?
I guess Pro C from the first post is higher than B8 and will support the popsloader?

Should I update to 6.60 first?

Thanks for any help
Get the latest PRO 6.35 installer and run it, but choose to uninstall (uninstall the cIPL/Permanent patch first, if it's installed), then you can go ahead and update to 6.60 and get the most recent PRO-C.

Sui77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First post on here in a loooooooooooooooooong time, but I just wanna say thanks for the guide, so easy to follow! The firmware was a little tough to find, but I got there :D Was my first time hacking the PSP as well.. last time I bothered looking, the 3000 were unhackable really.

Sui77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong area, but I'm just wondering about the whole .iso/.cso thing. I know that .iso files are better for playing on the PSP, but at the moment, I'm ripping my collection of games onto my PC so I can just change games over at will. Will I do any damage to the games if I convert back and forth between the two formats? (Just going to use .cso for archival purposes). Or is it perfectly safe to do? Cheers!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong area, but I'm just wondering about the whole .iso/.cso thing. I know that .iso files are better for playing on the PSP, but at the moment, I'm ripping my collection of games onto my PC so I can just change games over at will. Will I do any damage to the games if I convert back and forth between the two formats? (Just going to use .cso for archival purposes). Or is it perfectly safe to do? Cheers!
Depends on how it's done, as when converting to CSO there's lots of options to recompress audio/video (reducing the quality for less filesize), ripping update/dummy data, etc.

If you don't use any of the options and tell the converter to just compress, I think it's totally lossless... but you might not save much space then, so the original ISO is likely best for safety (as far as just making CSO versions when sticking them on the PSP, so you always have a "safe" ISO on the PC side).

Reactions: Sui77

OmegaVesko

Trophies
XP
Country

I would rip them to ISO and then convert to CSO if needed, but that's just me. There are many things you can do to compress an ISO, if it includes things like compressing audio and video then it will do damage to the ISO if you convert it back.

Sui77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just decided on keeping them as is. I can get rid of stuff from the ISO if needed also. Having a 100% success rate with the games I've tried too, so.. just need my new memory card to arrive now! :)

Sui77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just wanted to add that it's been a few weeks now and my PSP is doing wonderfully. I'm absolutely hooked on Persona 3 Portable(never played it or any others in the series prior to this). So much so that I've bought myself a Vita and ordered Persona 4 online ;) (Doesn't get released here til the end of next month) Cheers again for the guide, guys!

ehrwzme

Trophies
XP
Country
im sorry evryone, just new in here and i havent read throughout the thread.. i'm just wondering, i just got recently this new psp 3000 of mine with a 6.6o firmware straight from the box.. i just want to ask how i could play iso files/games i just downloaded.. cn i just mke a folder labeled "ISO: or "GAMES" something like that inside the memorycard or should i hack it something like that.. and i forgot to say, i have no experience in hacking psp..:lol: i know this is much but id appreciate the help a lot.. thanks.. :lol:

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I have been wondering... is it possible to perma-run a 6.60 CFW now on a PSP go? Especially now that I see the poster above talking about having done it with a 3000.

No. And not on a 3000 either.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Aww.. i cant run the cipl flasher it says "the installer doesnt support this model" what should i do?..
cIPL doesn't work on any 3K model. If you have a 3K you should try the 6.20 downgrade, since the 6.20 patch works on anything 6.20 can be installed on.

Also check the FAQ sticky to see where to put ISOs and homebrew and such.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for the guide Rydian, just got my go today ($50 with box, cables, manual), downgraded to 6.2 and installed the permanent hack CFW in about 10 mins. :)

It's been years since I installed CFW on my launch PSP 1000, it certainly seems easier now than I remember (tiff exploit etc).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the guide Rydian, just got my go today ($50 with box, cables, manual), downgraded to 6.2 and installed the permanent hack CFW in about 10 mins. :)

It's been years since I installed CFW on my launch PSP 1000, it certainly seems easier now than I remember (tiff exploit etc).
Damn that was cheap.

And yeah since Sony stopped caring too much about the PSP (and devs started open-sourcing and collaborating their work), the PSP scene's gotten incredibly easy.

KendoKhan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, its been a long time since i messed with my psp 1000 its on cfw 5.00 m33-6. so reading the tutorial on the front page got me a little confused. Do i use the 6.20 or the 6.60 i have a psp 1000 the og fat one and it says i can use either? is one better than the other?which one should i put?
  • 6.20's permanent patch will work on every PSP model that 6.20 can be installed on.
  • 6.60's permanent patch only works on the 1000 models and earlier 2000 models. If you have a 2000 and you're not sure if it's an early or late model, you can try the permanent patch, and if it tells you it's not supported you can downgrade to 6.20 and use the 6.20 permanent method (or if 6.20 is not supported, stick with the default temporary version)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.