How to return a lost SD card?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Found a SanDisk micro SD Ultra 32GB and checked its content (and with that I took the risk of infecting the computer in some way but it's clean, I think). This card belonged to an Android phone from a young couple on holidays.

I asked SanDisk if I could just send them the card and then they'd take care of returning it to the original owner but no dice there. Is Facebook the only solution? I really despise using Facebook but on the other hand I feel this couple would like to have their stuff back.

If only there was a "If this card gets lost please send to" info on the card it would be super helpful but we never expect this to happen.

2. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Engineering Prison
    Ever since I lost one of my flashdrive over a year ago, I place a "if lost, call Stephano at xxx-xxxx" sticker on all of my flash drives. Although, putting a text file with info in the flashdrive is also a very good idea as well.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  3. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    Just use Facebook mate

Quantumcat and Stephano like this.
  4. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    So I looked up how to find a person via photo on Facebook and seems it's not that easy. I tried through Google images and nothing accurate came up.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    If there's no "if lost please contact XYZ" txt file or anything, you're basically not going to find them. Reverse image searching like that likely isn't going to work because Google either looks for identical photos, or "similar" ones and since Google's particular algorithm used to find "similar" photos still sucks...you're not going to find squat if they haven't posted those exact pictures.

Since it's from a phone, maybe check and see if there's a contacts backup in the root of it? If there's nothing but photos and random Android files, congratulations, you got a new 32GB MSD card.

Quantumcat likes this.
  6. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    If there are images on the microSD card which should be safe for public viewing, upload them to Facebook with a caption looking for the owners or just post a picture of the SD card and tell them to PM you some proof like what may be inside the microSD card.

Quantumcat likes this.
  7. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I don't know how Google's algorithm works, but you might have more luck by cropping just their faces from the photos and searching with those. My thinking is that removing the extra information you know likely won't match other pictures they posted might help Google find other photos with the same faces.

8. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    use the old trick of "dog found please call X" put flyers next to the place where you found the card... or maybe a coffe place where they may go...
    if they look foreigners, write it both in your language and english...
    put a generic micro sd card picture in the flyer... and explicit say there are pictures inside it...
    if you don't want to give your phone number, you can put a temporary fake email address

really hope you find the owners, sadly it's not an old couple... youngsters will probably not give you a reward...
    also, use recuva on it cuz there may be nudes

Last edited by migles, Jun 20, 2017
  9. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Eh, the more I think of my idea, the more creepy it sounds. But you could put a poster where you found the SD card, saying "if you lost an SD card here, contact lostsdcard@gmail.com", and then while discussing you'll ask pics of the people contacting you. That's where the plan gets creepy. But actually it's the only way (except meeting each other) to know if they're the card's owner (if you say you have pics of them in it). On the other hand, you'd clearly tell that person in your first email that you already have pics of them if they're the card's owner, so you're not exactly a creep when asking for proof...

edit ninja'd

Quantumcat likes this.
  10. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    Personally, if I lost an SD card with photos on it, I wouldn't want someone uploading them nor would I want someone rummaging through the card (plus there may be legal issues).

Best option would likely be to take it to either the reception if found in a building or the police station.

11. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Thanks. Will do that then.

12. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    If it's from am android, there should be more info. Maybe logs?
    Oh amdnif theybuse geotag, you can find where they took pics, maybe some from home.

Quantumcat likes this.
  13. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Yes, I tried that but there's no one-click easy solution so I'll just handle it to the building/police and they'll take care of it.

14. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    Perhaps this sort of service would work? http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/
    just use one of the photos to find any others online taken with the same camera et voila! owners found?!

15. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    They won't do a a thing, I promise you that

Quantumcat and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  16. nIxx

nIxx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 30, 2007
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Usually you go to the Police or the "lost property office" after a few weeks if the owner is not found it's officially yours ;)

17. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Yeah check for files such as what's app logs on the sd card, maybe look for some text files and see if there is any contact info, even if it's the number for someone else, who you could then send an email to with one of the pictures off the sd card to see if they can identify them

18. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Indeed Google's algorithm is pretty crap, @Saiyan Lusitano may have more luck with TinEye though.

19. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    What about using the geotag metadata in photos to find where do they live in? (if there is a suitable photo)
    EDIT: What about reading the whole thread before posting the same question?
    (goes and hides in some cave)

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Jun 22, 2017
  20. demigodXL

demigodXL Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2008
    United States
    after reading lemony snickets, i would never contact a stephano for anything... put a jerry smith or something non-threatening on it...

Stephano likes this.