How to return a lost SD card?

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 2,014
  • Replies 19
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Found a SanDisk micro SD Ultra 32GB and checked its content (and with that I took the risk of infecting the computer in some way but it's clean, I think). This card belonged to an Android phone from a young couple on holidays.

I asked SanDisk if I could just send them the card and then they'd take care of returning it to the original owner but no dice there. Is Facebook the only solution? I really despise using Facebook but on the other hand I feel this couple would like to have their stuff back.

If only there was a "If this card gets lost please send to" info on the card it would be super helpful but we never expect this to happen.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ever since I lost one of my flashdrive over a year ago, I place a "if lost, call Stephano at xxx-xxxx" sticker on all of my flash drives. Although, putting a text file with info in the flashdrive is also a very good idea as well.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
So I looked up how to find a person via photo on Facebook and seems it's not that easy. I tried through Google images and nothing accurate came up.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
If there's no "if lost please contact XYZ" txt file or anything, you're basically not going to find them. Reverse image searching like that likely isn't going to work because Google either looks for identical photos, or "similar" ones and since Google's particular algorithm used to find "similar" photos still sucks...you're not going to find squat if they haven't posted those exact pictures.

Since it's from a phone, maybe check and see if there's a contacts backup in the root of it? If there's nothing but photos and random Android files, congratulations, you got a new 32GB MSD card.

Reactions: Quantumcat

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
If there are images on the microSD card which should be safe for public viewing, upload them to Facebook with a caption looking for the owners or just post a picture of the SD card and tell them to PM you some proof like what may be inside the microSD card.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how Google's algorithm works, but you might have more luck by cropping just their faces from the photos and searching with those. My thinking is that removing the extra information you know likely won't match other pictures they posted might help Google find other photos with the same faces.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
use the old trick of "dog found please call X" put flyers next to the place where you found the card... or maybe a coffe place where they may go...
if they look foreigners, write it both in your language and english...
put a generic micro sd card picture in the flyer... and explicit say there are pictures inside it...
if you don't want to give your phone number, you can put a temporary fake email address

really hope you find the owners, sadly it's not an old couple... youngsters will probably not give you a reward...
also, use recuva on it cuz there may be nudes

Last edited by migles,

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Eh, the more I think of my idea, the more creepy it sounds. But you could put a poster where you found the SD card, saying "if you lost an SD card here, contact [email protected]", and then while discussing you'll ask pics of the people contacting you. That's where the plan gets creepy. But actually it's the only way (except meeting each other) to know if they're the card's owner (if you say you have pics of them in it). On the other hand, you'd clearly tell that person in your first email that you already have pics of them if they're the card's owner, so you're not exactly a creep when asking for proof...

edit ninja'd

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally, if I lost an SD card with photos on it, I wouldn't want someone uploading them nor would I want someone rummaging through the card (plus there may be legal issues).

Best option would likely be to take it to either the reception if found in a building or the police station.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Personally, if I lost an SD card with photos on it, I wouldn't want someone uploading them nor would I want someone rummaging through the card (plus there may be legal issues).

Best option would likely be to take it to either the reception if found in a building or the police station.
Thanks. Will do that then.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
If it's from am android, there should be more info. Maybe logs?
Oh amdnif theybuse geotag, you can find where they took pics, maybe some from home.
Yes, I tried that but there's no one-click easy solution so I'll just handle it to the building/police and they'll take care of it.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Found a SanDisk micro SD Ultra 32GB and checked its content (and with that I took the risk of infecting the computer in some way but it's clean, I think). This card belonged to an Android phone from a young couple on holidays.

I asked SanDisk if I could just send them the card and then they'd take care of returning it to the original owner but no dice there. Is Facebook the only solution? I really despise using Facebook but on the other hand I feel this couple would like to have their stuff back.

If only there was a "If this card gets lost please send to" info on the card it would be super helpful but we never expect this to happen.

Perhaps this sort of service would work? http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/
just use one of the photos to find any others online taken with the same camera et voila! owners found?!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah check for files such as what's app logs on the sd card, maybe look for some text files and see if there is any contact info, even if it's the number for someone else, who you could then send an email to with one of the pictures off the sd card to see if they can identify them

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If there's no "if lost please contact XYZ" txt file or anything, you're basically not going to find them. Reverse image searching like that likely isn't going to work because Google either looks for identical photos, or "similar" ones and since Google's particular algorithm used to find "similar" photos still sucks...you're not going to find squat if they haven't posted those exact pictures.

Since it's from a phone, maybe check and see if there's a contacts backup in the root of it? If there's nothing but photos and random Android files, congratulations, you got a new 32GB MSD card.
Indeed Google's algorithm is pretty crap, @Saiyan Lusitano may have more luck with TinEye though.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What about using the geotag metadata in photos to find where do they live in? (if there is a suitable photo)
EDIT: What about reading the whole thread before posting the same question?
(goes and hides in some cave)

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

demigodXL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ever since I lost one of my flashdrive over a year ago, I place a "if lost, call Stephano at xxx-xxxx" sticker on all of my flash drives. Although, putting a text file with info in the flashdrive is also a very good idea as well.
after reading lemony snickets, i would never contact a stephano for anything... put a jerry smith or something non-threatening on it...

Reactions: Stephano

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill