ROM Hack How to play gba roms on R4DS

TonyIommi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an idea.I can use a .gba extractor,extract code,images,sound,convert them to .nds with a .nds packer and that's it!
Is it feasible?

opcode32

powerh8er par excellence
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
short answer: no
long answer: try to understand the hardware you're dealing with first before posting hillarious theories. it'll make you look less like a dumbass. btw, the answer is still no.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
No need to insult the man just because he didn't use the search function. There are dozens of threads on this same topic, and they all boil down to:

Short answer: no.
Long answer: in theory, yes, but... no. In the end it's much less trouble to just buy a GBA flashcard.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Its not even possible in theory. What he's suggesting is taking out all the files in a gba rom and turning it into an nds. Thats kinda like saying I could take all the files from a neo geo rom, and change it to an n64 rom, and it would work. Which it wouldn't.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would pay monies (not much
nyanya.gif
) for such an application. I wish you the best of luck. Don't waste your time.

microtsip

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe a GBA Emulator for Slot1 is possible. But a GBA ROM to NDS ROM converter? I don't think so. GBA games on Slot1 won't be compatible. It's processor is exclusive for DS games/ROMS. Unless, as I have said earlier, somebody makes a GBA emulator for Slot1.
wink.gif

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe a GBA Emulator for Slot1 is possible. But a GBA ROM to NDS ROM converter? I don't think so. GBA games on Slot1 won't be compatible. It's processor is exclusive for DS games/ROMS. Unless, as I have said earlier, somebody makes a GBA emulator for Slot1.
wink.gif
There are only 2 processors, the ARM7 and ARM9. GBA uses ARM7 and the DS uses both.

The GBA emulator is also not possible.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
It should be possible to port games the hard way. Just look at Mega Man Battle Network 5, Phoenix Wright, Advance Wars DS, etc. It might take forever for each game, but... I hate that lazy developers used GBA code in DS games.

darksavior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That EZ5 expansion is super cheap if you can just find the slot2 seperately. Just buy one and use it with your R4 via some homebrew app. It has GBA + Opera Browser support from what i've read. Rumble is still being worked on I think.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
It should be possible to port games the hard way. Just look at Mega Man Battle Network 5, Phoenix Wright, Advance Wars DS, etc. It might take forever for each game, but... I hate that lazy developers used GBA code in DS games.

That is talking about the game engine, not the compilation of the code.

About the topic, OK maybe he is a little ignorant, BUT he seems to have willingness.
Good luck to the thread opener.

microtsip

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wink.gif

There are only 2 processors, the ARM7 and ARM9. GBA uses ARM7 and the DS uses both.

The GBA emulator is also not possible.

I'm aware that the DS have two processors. But it's not impossible to create an emulator for GBA ROMS on Slot1 because it also has access for the GBA processor.
It's just there's no need to create because of the Slot2 flash carts which are already available. Like I've said on my previous post, it's only possible to play GBA games on Slot1 Carts if it will be emulated directly.

grog.gif

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Emulation requires ~10x processing power.

If you think it is possible, go for it, let us know how it goes. I'd much rather have a virtualization of the GBA system, but that also requires additional power the DS does not have.

microtsip

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the processing power needed will depend on how well the emulator engine was coded.
Maybe if I have the luxury of time to learn the capabilities of the two processors of the NDS System, I may give it a try to code for something like it... but I guess I'm too lazy for that 'coz I'm already coding at work (8+ hours) everyday.

Just pointing out that nothing is impossible in programming as long as you have the willingness and determination to do what's got to be done.

grog.gif
yaynds.gif
toot.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)