Gaming How to install Ubuntu Linux as a dual boot from a USB?

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two questions.

1. My dads friend, computer genius, help install a dual boot after fixing another problem. I have XP Pro and Home running as dual boot. Home edition used to work, but for some reason it doesn't anymore. Pro does. How would I uninstall Windows XP Home Edition from dual boot?

2. How do I install Ubuntu Linux from a USB? I got an old version working on VirtualPC and I can't begin to imagine what the latest version is like. Installing it as a triple boot will be fine if it's easier not to uninstall a current dual boot.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
iirc, i think the ubuntu live cd actually has a bootable usb install making program (eg. stick usb in pooper pc and run program)
when you install ubuntu just make sure that you wipe the partition of the broken xp install, not the working one
tongue.gif

edit: way to be helpful guys, this is a support/discussion board, not the eof

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See, that's where I get lost. How do I uninstall the partition?

Also i can't wait for possibly months for my dads friend to get my tower and install ubuntu on it.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Aijelsop said:
See, that's where I get lost. How do I uninstall the partition?

Also i can't wait for possibly months for my dads friend to get my tower and install ubuntu on it.
you don't need to "uninstall it"

when you go through the setup process there will be a point where it asks you how it wants you install it (side-by-side with existing operating systems, format hdd and leave just ubuntu, etc) just go to advanced or custom or whatever (describing from memory, don't fault me for getting terms wrong)
and just delete the partition used by the current crapped up xp installation (hopefully the two installs will be different sized partitions so you can easily tell them apart)
then just create a small partition with "swap" as the filesystem type (for this example, let's say you want it 1gb?) and make the remaining free space on the hdd a ext2 (or ext3 or ext4) filesystem type and make that partition "/"

click ok or whatever and just continue with the self-explanatory installation

why do i use brackets so much?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Aijelsop said:
QUOTE said:
Read his 50 other topics... that WAS help.

...This is different. I actually need help with a reasonable thing that a lot of people couldn't do.
My point is, based on your other topics, something like this is beyond your abilities.

You have trouble removing virus' with an Antivirus program. Removing an operating system while leaving one intact and then installing a different operating system (especially ones that have difficulty together, Windows Vista/7 and Linux both like to be the boss of booting and don't share witheachother by default) is not something you're going to be able to do with a few notes scrawled on a paper.

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I read the official site and it says I can try Ubuntu before I install it.

I'll try it out first.
biggrin.gif

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
twiztidsinz said:
Aijelsop said:
QUOTE said:
Read his 50 other topics... that WAS help.

...This is different. I actually need help with a reasonable thing that a lot of people couldn't do.
My point is, based on your other topics, something like this is beyond your abilities.

You have trouble removing virus' with an Antivirus program. Removing an operating system while leaving one intact and then installing a different operating system (especially ones that have difficulty together, Windows Vista/7 and Linux both like to be the boss of booting and don't share witheachother by default) is not something you're going to be able to do with a few notes scrawled on a paper.
to be fair, installing ubuntu is meant to be easy enough for the average computer user to do, that and grub is auto-configured to play nice with pre-existing windows installations when you install ubuntu..

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not so sure anymore about installing. He's right when he says I can't do the simplist tasks... So how will I install this?

D

Deleted-273695

If you can't read a fucking webpage why would anyone even want to bother helping you.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
ihackedit said:
If you can't read a fucking webpage why would anyone even want to bother helping you.
i wanted to be helpful but i think i now agree with the quoted post

i already posted what you needed to do to install it and then you go and ask what you need to do... :|

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Aijelsop said:
No I didn't?

I said I might not do it because I will most likely screw something up.
QUOTE(Aijelsop @ Mar 6 2011, 12:07 PM) ... So how will I install this?
seems as though you were asking for instructions (which i'd already given) if not and i misunderstood your post then i apologize

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I didn't mean it as a question, more as "How am I supposed to do this is I can't even remove a virus without messing something up"

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you can't remove a virus without messing something up, you may want to reconsider using Linux at all. Just like in the other Linux thread that popped up overnight, Linux is NOT user friendly. If you're not comfortable/confident in your knowledge of how Windows works, it'll take much more effort than you're willing to give to learn how to make Linux that awesome OS you see some techno-wizards bragging about.

...maybe when you're older/more experienced.

As for "uninstalling" an OS... there are MBR tools that can remove faulty OSs from the boot listings, and then it's just a matter of deleting the faulty OS from the HDD. I never dual-boot (I prefer to use a removable HDD to load in place of my usual OS/HDD if needed), so I don't know which MBR tool is best.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-