Gaming How to install Ubuntu Linux as a dual boot from a USB?

Rafinesque

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
If you can't remove a virus without messing something up, you may want to reconsider using Linux at all. Just like in the other Linux thread that popped up overnight, Linux is NOT user friendly. If you're not comfortable/confident in your knowledge of how Windows works, it'll take much more effort than you're willing to give to learn how to make Linux that awesome OS you see some techno-wizards bragging about.

I would recommend getting a second PC for experimenting with Linux. Even something old that you could get for less than $100, or that someone would even give away is probably good enough for running Linux and learning how to manage it. If you try Linux, expect to do some searching and reading for solutions occasionally. I tried it 3 years ago, and occasionally ran into programs I wanted to use that required me to recompile the program. Not for the faint of heart, but you can figure it out with lots of reading and trial-and-error.

I recommend starting with Linux Mint, it's the most user friendly Linux version for someone who is new to Linux :

http://www.linuxmint.com/

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
My solution to running Linux on my PC without screwing with the bootloader is as I mentioned above - use an extra, removable drive. That way you get the same performance from the parts and it only costs you an extra HDD. Currently I only do it with XP, but it's very simple to adapt another drive to work with Linux (I have a few 40-80GB IDE HDDs lying around).

D

Deleted User

Originality said:
My solution to running Linux on my PC without screwing with the bootloader is as I mentioned above - use an extra, removable drive. That way you get the same performance from the parts and it only costs you an extra HDD. Currently I only do it with XP, but it's very simple to adapt another drive to work with Linux (I have a few 40-80GB IDE HDDs lying around).

Yeah, chances are he doesn't have an extra hard-drive lying around, though. It's a good idea though.

D

Deleted-273695

Your asking for help and then just complaining. The ubuntu site has the most detailed noob-friendly tutorial on installing ubuntu linux on your computer.
Step one
Download the ubuntu 10.10 disc image
Step two
Use the burning program to write the image to a blank disc
Step three
Insert disc with written image on it into your pc and reboot and tada you have ubuntu.

You fail at everything much?

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Yeah, chances are he doesn't have an extra hard-drive lying around, though. It's a good idea though.

Actually, I have a 2GB, and a 16GB, but both being used... -_-

QUOTEYour asking for help and then just complaining. The ubuntu site has the most detailed noob-friendly tutorial on installing ubuntu linux on your computer.
Step one
Download the ubuntu 10.10 disc image
Step two
Use the burning program to write the image to a blank disc
Step three
Insert disc with written image on it into your pc and reboot and tada you have ubuntu.

You fail at everything much?

That's the tutorial for installing. I want to install it as a dualboot which that guide is not offering.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Oh sorry, I forgot to do a two second search to find a page on the ubuntu website -.-
Not everybody has the web-sense to know how to use search bars to search for specific information. In fact, most people don't even know how to use google to find the answers to 90% of any problem they experience. You presume too much, especially of a 12 year old.

Try spoon-feeding without being so snarky. They still won't thank you, but at least your cosmic karma will slightly increase.

D

Deleted User

I'd reconsider installing Ubuntu in general if I were you. Though if you really want to, just follow the pages on the Ubuntu website. If you can't even use a search bar to find the information you're looking for, what chance in hell do you have of being able to install the correct drivers for your device (assuming they don't come preinstalled with Ubuntu), or learning how to install applications, or learning how to do most tasks in Ubuntu?

Ubuntu and Linux Mint both have come really far from traditional Linux distros in terms of user friendliness, but they're still not perfect. Especially when it comes to the partitioning section, which still confuses many (And I can understand why as that part of the installation isn't the most user friendly thing ever, especially if you choose the "custom" option).

If it's just a case of wanting a new OS to play around with, I'd just say take the plunge and go with Windows 7... It seems the perfect OS for you...

You have no chance in hell if you can't remove a virus. I'm not being offensive here, or snarky, but it's the honest truth.

D

Deleted-273695

I'm thirteen so calm down, it's just common sense to search for something before asking on forums.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If it were common sense, LMGTFY wouldn't be quite so popular. And we wouldn't have quite so many threads asking the same questions (e.g. the speedtest thread that popped up recently, or certain members-who-shall-not-be-named asking the same questions in multiple threads).

As I said, you presume too much. Most people don't know how to use google to find the answers to 90% of the problems they experience. Everybody knows it's there, but many people still don't know what search phrases (or sites to look up) to use to find the answers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.