Tutorial  Updated

How to install & activate SX OS on your Switch with a PC

Hello,
I’m totally new to the switch scene and a noob in those things.
I was wondering why there is still no tutorial for installing Team Xecutters SX OS here,
so i have done a very basic tutorial for noobs like me by my self and hope you guys will understand it too.
I made the videos short without voice recording, so you can easy pause and do it step by step.
Check also the Tutorial for backing up the NAND, since this seems important too!

Attention, use only at your own risk! There is a chance of bricking or Console if you do smethong wrong
or be banned when the CFW is used online!

Here is the Video:

Installing Switch SX OS (offline):

A SX OS License (or use the free version for Homebrew!)
Trusted reseller: https://team-xecuter.com/where-to-buy/

TegraRcmGui:
https://github.com/eliboa/TegraRcmGUI

Switch SX OS (v1.4):
https://sx.xecuter.com/download/SXOS_v1.4.zip

SX Loader:
https://sx.xecuter.com/download/payload.bin

Offline Activation for SX OS:
https://sx.xecuter.com/sxos-license.html

1. Make Sure your Switch battery is almost fully loaded!
2. Set your Switch to Airplane Mode. (Or remove the Wifi connection)
3. Turn the Switch off and remove the MicroSD-Card.​
4. Copy the Switch OS (boot.dat) file to root of your MicroSD-Card.
5. Put the card back in to your Switch and leave the Switch powered off.
6. While holding the “Volume +” press the Power Button. Nothing should now appear on your screen, the Switch is now in the RCM Mode.
7. Run the TegraRCMGui on your PC.
8. Go to the Settings Tab and press the “install Driver” Button and allow the installation. (This will Install the Switch RCM Driver to your PC.)
9. Return now to the Payload tab and connect your Switch, which should be in RCM mode, to your PC with a USB-C Cable.
10. Select the Folder Icon in TegraRCM Gui and navigate to the SX OS (payload.bin) file.
11. Choose the Inject Payload Button and your Switch should boot no into SX OS.

12. Click Boot custom FW on your Switch. When you perform the first time the boot of SX OS a license file (license-request.dat) will be created on your MicroSD cards.
13. After the booting power Off your Switch and put your MicroSD card back to your PC.
14. Visit now Team Xecuters Activation Side, upload your file from the MicroSD (license-request.dat) and manually enter your License Code.
15. Click on Retrieve License and the download of your new license file should start.
16. Copy the license.dat file to your MicroSD-Card root
17. Insert the Card in to your Switch.
18. Now you have to put the Switch back to RCM Mode again and re-send the payload.bin from TegroRcmGui. (Step 9. to 11.)
19. Now the SX OS should automatic recognize the License and boot up the Switch SX OS.

For loading games you must select the Album Icon in the Menu.

Update 1:

Enable Homebrew on SX OS:
(OUTDATED Since 1.4 need no homebrew Launcher!)

For Homebrew you need HBMenu installed:

-Put the "hbmenu.nro" into the root of your SD-Card

-Create a folder called "switch" to the root of your SD-Card

-Put your Homebrew folders / .NROs in "Switch" folder

-Start HBMenu by pressing the "R" button while launching the Album Icon

Update 2:

Here is the Tutorial for dumping your NAND using Hekate.
This is not mandatory but it is recommended to do a back up of your system before a custom firmware is installed.

How to back up & restore your System NAND + clear LOGs with Hekate:

You can also clear your Error Logs with this methode, before launching OFW online.
(Since this could be safer way using OFW online, but still not 100% safe!)

1. Make Sure your Switch battery is almost fully loaded!
2. Set your Switch to Airplane Mode.
3. Turn the Switch off and remove the MicroSD-Card.
4. Copy the files from the SDFilesxx to root of your MicroSD-Card.
5. Put the card back in to your Switch and leave the Switch powered off.
6. While holding the “Volume +” press the Power Button. Nothing should now appear on your screen, the Switch is now in the RCM Mode.
7. Run the TegraRCMGui on your PC
8. go to the Settings Tab and press the “install Driver” Button and allow the installation. (If you havn't done that yet)
9. Return now to the Payload tab and connect your Switch, wich should be in RCM mode, to your PC with a USB-C Cable.
10. Select the Folder Icon in TegraRCM Gui and navigate to the Hekate Payload (hekate_ctcaer_x.x.bin) file.
11. Choose the Inject Payload Button and your Switch should boot now into the Hekate screen.
12.Turn your Switch Sideways. You navigate with Volume + and - Button for up & down. You Choose an option with the power button.
13. Now choose “Tools” and “Dump RAW eMMC GPP”
14. It now dumps your Raw eMMC: Be patient, it took about 1-2 hours dependingfast your SD card is.
15. Choose afterwards "Dump eMMC Boot0/1 if you want to use AutoRCM
15. When its finished go back to the main menu und choose power off.
16. Copy now your rawdumb files to a save place and delete the files from the SD-Card.

Another useful function of Hekate is cleaning your error logs!
This is helpfull if you want to go online with your OFW.

1. Inject the Hektate Payload.
2. Choose from to the main menu “launch firmware”.
3. Choose the option “clear logs”.
4. Your System reboots now, with cleaned logs.​

Edit 5:
Updated to SX OS 1.4

Last edited by xy-maps,

xstationbr

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello,
I’m totally new to the switch scene and a noob in those things.
I was wondering why there is still no tutorial for installing Team Xecutters SX OS here,
so i have done a very basic tutorial for noobs like me by my self and hope you guys will understand it too.
I will make in the future another Tutorial for backing up the NAND, since this seems important too.

Here is the Video:

You will find the links to the Tool in the video description.​

Thanks a lot, although it is easy and I know that I was just searching in google, I'm kind of having no time for it, so your tutorial helped me save a lot of time, I'll do my installation based on your tutorial.
Thank you.
Very useful for noobs and for those who are lazy or even for those who are lost in space, or for those who walk out of time like me.
Thank you so.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My parents literally cannot surf the Internet without opening Google first. So a guide like this is still useful for those who may not be as competent as the rest of us. Thank you OP.

Reactions: F713SG

Limp-Bones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a good thing for us newbies learning on how to do wondrous things so that one day we can pass it along to aspiring newbies also.

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question. Once the switch goes into sleep mode do you need to re-hack it all over again with this? the same way we had to with atmosphere or is this more or less a thethered jailbreak where we need to re-do it if the switch completely turns off?

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I have a question. Once the switch goes into sleep mode do you need to re-hack it all over again with this? the same way we had to with atmosphere or is this more or less a thethered jailbreak where we need to re-do it if the switch completely turns off?
No, you don't need to re-hack your console in sleep mode. SX OS supports sleep mode.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thanks for the responde, very helpful. Do you know if the game images can be transferred from sd card to the switch's internal memory?
As far as I know, there is currently no way to move game backups from your micro sd card to the internal memory of your switch. But if you have downloaded software from the eShop, you can archive it (it will be deleted from the micro sd card), remove the micro sd card and download the software again. Then the software is in the internal memory. However, as you are using SX OS and backups, this won't work.

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I know, there is currently no way to move game backups from your micro sd card to the internal memory of your switch. But if you have downloaded software from the eShop, you can archive it (it will be deleted from the micro sd card), remove the micro sd card and download the software again. Then the software is in the internal memory. However, as you are using SX OS and backups, this won't work.

I unlinked my nintendo account before using sx os, just to be safe. I have considered downloading it again and putting the eshop games on there but I fon't want my nintendo account to be associated and banned. However I wouldn't be using backups to play online anyways so maybe I should download the eshop, download my games and then unlink the eshop account.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I unlinked my nintendo account before using sx os, just to be safe. I have considered downloading it again and putting the eshop games on there but I fon't want my nintendo account to be associated and banned. However I wouldn't be using backups to play online anyways so maybe I should download the eshop, download my games and then unlink the eshop account.
You can use eNXhop to download and play games which you have previously downloaded from the eShop. However, as it seems to be a high risk of getting banned, use it at your own risk. I would generally not recommend you to connect your console to the internet when you are using SX OS. Many people who kept their console online and were using SX OS have been banned recently.

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country
You can use eNXhop to download and play games which you have previously downloaded from the eShop. However, as it seems to be a high risk of getting banned, use it at your own risk. I would generally not recommend you to connect your console to the internet when you are using SX OS. Many people who kept their console online and were using SX OS have been banned recently.

Thanks once more, you've been a big help. One more question, how do I run homebrew on sx os? I have put my homebrew files in "switch" folder on the root of the SD card? How do I boot them?

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thanks once more, you've been a big help. One more question, how do I run homebrew on sx os? I have put my homebrew files in "switch" folder on the root of the SD card? How do I boot them?
You need to download the hbmenu.nro file from here and put it on the root of your micro sd card. Then you need to launch CFW and press and hold R while opening the album.

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country
You need to download the hbmenu.nro file from here and put it on the root of your micro sd card. Then you need to launch CFW and press and hold R while opening the album.

You are the best. May I ask, does the NRO go into its own folder or do you make a folder called "switch" and then put the NROs in there for other programs? (I know homebrew manager is an exception).

Also would you be able yo link me to a nice save manager utility and an FTP program please? Switching back and forth between my mac and taking the meory cards in and out is driving me insane.

EDIT: Oh and, when you say launch CFW, do you mean sx os or another CFW? I assume you hold R and launch photo app in SX OS to get to HBMENU?

Last edited by MadonnaProject,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.