Hacking How to edit the details in the preview of VC titles?

althena77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hello!

I have problems with some VC titles on my Wii, as well as retail games from the store and some injected.

For some games the information about the game when you click the channel don't display right, for example instead of showing me the name I just get something like "Virtual Console Title_GER".

Here a photo I took from my tv when selecting Super Mario Bros. 3 (really SMB3 and nothing injected):

23012009014.jpg

I get this even though I did buy this one from the Wii Shop and I think I know what the problem is, I use a European firmware in my Wii (downgraded to 3.2E) where I can select my native language for the Wii Menu (which is German). However I am normally more interested in NTSC games for VC as back those days many games were not optimized for PAL and so my Wii is set to NTSC with AnyRegion Changer and also my Wii Shop Channel connects to the one from North America.
Now it seems that the VC can display different information depending on the language selected on the Wii and some NTSC games just don't come with a in my case German name as this title was never supposed to be used on a PAL console. Also I can fix this problem when I set my Wii to English.

Now I wonder if I somehow can fix this problem by simple editing the game I have or just create my own Super Mario Bros. 3 by injecting it into another game and have been looking around the Internet now for a while but couldn't find a tutorial that covers this step of editing these preview information.
I found some older tutorials that just explain how to inject roms into WADs and the nice one here which explains how to change the banners. So I wonder if there is someone here who knows how to to that or know a place where this is covered in a more up to date tutorial.

Thanks and greetings
smile.gif

althena77

bootmonster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unpack the wad for the game u want to edit.

use u8tool to extract the 00000000.app, extract the banner.bin and edit with vcbrlyt. repack all the files and off you go
smile.gif

smb3uk3.jpg

althena77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks a lot and sorry for my late reply, however I had problems getting some tools to run under my computer with Windows Vista 64 Bit. I had to find some free time to set up a 32 Bit XP in a virtual machine and now all the tools work just fine.

Thanks to everyone involved in making this great tutorial on Youtube and developing these fine tools, I successfully fixed now the preview screen
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw