How to copy Unicode in hexworkshop

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Zerosuit connor, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Zerosuit connor
    OP

Zerosuit connor Baby I'm Back ♥

Sep 17, 2010
    Eorzea
    Okay. So i'm trying tom mess with a japaneese rom a little bit with hexworkshop. When i change thew view from Ascii to unicode the Kanji text im looking for shows up but, when I copy the kanji and past it somewhere else it is still ascii. Any ideas on how to copy unicode as unicode?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    For actual hex editing I really like hex workshop but for text beyond ASCII it leaves a lot to be desired.

This seems to be a bug but for a crude workaround if you select what you want- >edit pulldown menu -> copy as -> text it will copy the hex as well but the encoding should stick.
    Dumping text is sometimes a tricky gig but if you just want a little bit of stuff I suggest you look at crystaltile2 at first.
    http://filetrip.net/f23649-CrystalTile2-2010-09-06.html (in the hex window click on the bar above the ASCII readout to change the encoding, if you need a custom one the tbl pulldown menu has what you need.

I will say though make sure the game is using proper unicode- quite often I see games use unicode text but only single byte control characters which has a habit of tripping up simpler decoders.