PS1/2 How to burn PS2 games on DVD9 using Alcohol 120%?

Smklcs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I recorded God of War ISO using ImgBurn and it worked, I'll describe my experience.

As I already said, I just breaking two Elgin DVD + DLs using ImgBurn and Alcohol and failed with both. Now using a Verbadim DVD+DL i got success. I did the following:
I applied the Toxic DL Pather, activated DVD-Rom booktype, chose the speed 2.4x and recorded. It took 40 minutes to record.

I appreciate the help!

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I recorded God of War ISO using ImgBurn and it worked, I'll describe my experience.

As I already said, I just breaking two Elgin DVD + DLs using ImgBurn and Alcohol and failed with both. Now using a Verbadim DVD+DL i got success. I did the following:
I applied the Toxic DL Pather, activated DVD-Rom booktype, chose the speed 2.4x and recorded. It took 40 minutes to record.

I appreciate the help!

always use Verbatim media, stay away from aone and other cheap brands and you will never have a problem.

Smklcs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
always use Verbatim media, stay away from aone and other cheap brands and you will never have a problem.

I'm even having trouble with the God of War in Verbatim, but I think the reason is I have left the marks of my finger in the media, after recording were dark dots in place of the brand. :glare:

Some extras videos are not loading.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I'm even having trouble with the God of War in Verbatim, but I think the reason is I have left the marks of my finger in the media, after recording were dark dots in place of the brand. :glare:

Some extras videos are not loading.

upgrade your dvd burner firmware if you can, also make sure the media you are using is not fake, load up imgburn and put the dvd in the drive it will tell you what brand ID you are using.

Smklcs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
upgrade your dvd burner firmware if you can, also make sure the media you are using is not fake, load up imgburn and put the dvd in the drive it will tell you what brand ID you are using.

According Alcohol the mark is Mitsubishi. My driver is a TSSTcorp, how do I upgrade?

I believe the problem is the finger mark I left before the recording or my PS2 is very old.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
According Alcohol the mark is Mitsubishi. My driver is a TSSTcorp, how do I upgrade?

I believe the problem is the finger mark I left before the recording or my PS2 is very old.

try this web page, enter your model number and see if anything comes up, and yes if the disc wasn't clean before you put the disc in the drive that could be the reason why it has blotches in it, lint can cause problems too, impossible to wipe away.

http://www.firmwarehq.com/index.php
http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/firmware/fwvercheck/fwvercheck.asp

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
There's always SMB y'know - I use it with my Slim and so-far I only found one game that failed to boot, one with issues and I'm not sure if either is a proper dump. I have 100+ games on the thing, so that's a damn good score and a zillion times less hassle than burning DVD's.

I'm just in the process of trying to sort out Ratchet and Clank 3 Up Your Arsenal and get it working on my fatty+HDD...you may want to add that one to your list of fails in advance.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm just in the process of trying to sort out Ratchet and Clank 3 Up Your Arsenal and get it working on my fatty+HDD...you may want to add that one to your list of fails in advance.
There's a whole lot of compatibility options y'know, plus some games don't work off the HDD "just because" - do try SMB instead. I'll uhm... "acquire" that game and try to help, in the meantime, conduct your research. :P

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
There's a whole lot of compatibility options y'know, plus some games don't work off the HDD "just because" - do try SMB instead. I'll uhm... "acquire" that game and try to help, in the meantime, conduct your research. :P

I'm just being a git because i've just run into this issue after moving on to R&C3 from my interrupted run through of the first two. Don't bother because it won't work for you...research will back this up. Of course unless you're feeling really sadistic! ;)

As far as i can see it fails on OPL and requires a ppf patch to run with HDL so that's what i'm hoping will work. Just something to bear in mind for the OP....even some popular games are problematic sometimes.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm just being a git because i've just run into this issue after moving on to R&C3 from my interrupted run through of the first two. Don't bother because it won't work for you...research will back this up. Of course unless you're feeling really sadistic! ;)

As far as i can see it fails on OPL and requires a ppf patch to run with HDL so that's what i'm hoping will work. Just something to bear in mind for the OP....even some popular games are problematic sometimes.
Well, it's not exactly a "Sony-Endorsed" method of booting games to begin with, so... :P

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, it's not exactly a "Sony-Endorsed" method of booting games to begin with, so... :P

You're right, the only Sony endorsed way of playing PS2 games these days is probably the PS3! I jest, i jest....

And fingers crossed, after the nightmare of getting the HDD out, hooking it up to a PC, patching the image and then the double nightmare of disconnecting the IDE cable and then reconnecting to the PS2, UYA seems to be working ok (well the first few mins i've just tested)

HDLoader ftw...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You're right, the only Sony endorsed way of playing PS2 games these days is probably the PS3! I jest, i jest....

And fingers crossed, after the nightmare of getting the HDD out, hooking it up to a PC, patching the image and then the double nightmare of disconnecting the IDE cable and then reconnecting to the PS2, UYA seems to be working ok (well the first few mins i've just tested)

HDLoader ftw...
I'm pretty sure that the same patched image should work on OPL...? (Wouldn't know for sure, I use SMB since my PS2 Classic isn't fixed yet, I'm using my Slim)

Smklcs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
try this web page, enter your model number and see if anything comes up, and yes if the disc wasn't clean before you put the disc in the drive that could be the reason why it has blotches in it, lint can cause problems too, impossible to wipe away.

http://www.firmwarehq.com/index.php
http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/firmware/fwvercheck/fwvercheck.asp

Ok, thank you very much for the links, I updated. The latest firmware (DW30) was released in 2011.

About the brands, I'll be careful next time. I never clean the DVD5s before recording even have fingerprints on them and it never happened. DVD DL are much more delicate, definitely.

Thanks for all your help!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm pretty sure that the same patched image should work on OPL...? (Wouldn't know for sure, I use SMB since my PS2 Classic isn't fixed yet, I'm using my Slim)

Nope, no dice with OPL, which i agree is surprising. Apparently the fixed memory allocations that the game has are the problem. And since OPL fails, and it's not a USB compatible game and won't run with ESR (apparently...i don't use ESR) seems this is a rare instance where an older outdated method is the only solution, and it's a fix that will only work on the internal HDD.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I cannot recommend Verbatim as a DVD medium. Verbatim outsources their DVDs to various subcontractors, some of which are poorly made. PS2 laser are weaker than regular DVD drive so sub-standard disk can wear them out faster. Since they are all under Verbatim brand it is hard to tell which batch is good.

Best DVD medium is Taiyo Yuiden/JVC. You can find them at Amazon. Always use DVD-R. Never use DVD+R or +R DL.

@xist
Did you try PS2EDL?

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
any brand is fine, pick the lightest
yes the lightest

unlike original game that use DVD9, writable media DVD-R is more thicker & heavier than regular disk.
in most case even you succeed to burn it, ps2 can't read it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Geckos are the cutest.