Hacking How should I go about making my Wii able to play GameCube backups?

P4wn4g3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I've found many differing procedures on this topic, so I'll just open it up for discussion. Basically, I want to be able to play GameCube games from USB. I have allocated some space on my backup drive that lets me play any Wii backups and I'd like to be able to make use of this space, and possibly the same program that runs the Wii backups (USB Loader) in order to load GameCube games from USB. I don't care if it is Action Replay supported, although that would be a nice option if I ever felt like doing that.

Anyway, a rather simple, n00b friendly set of instructions will do, or a link to a trusted set of instructions.

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that'll let you play Gamecube from usb is a WODE. Unless you have an older Wii ( pre-2009) that has a dvd drive that will play copied games....

P4wn4g3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well my Wii might be that old, I don't really remember nor do I know how to check, backup discs would be inconvenient though so I'd like to avoid that route if possible.

What is a WODE, how do I get one, install one, use one, etc.?

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Here read it & you will know what is a WODE . You should run syscheck to see if your wii can read backup discs then you should just use it & save yourself all the WODE money .

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
No, not now & probably never . You can run them through sd using DML but its not really easy to set up & the compatibility isn't great .

Those methods are meant for people who can't run backup discs so they just settle with them . If your wii can read backup discs use neogamma to launch them & save yourself the trouble.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ah. So in other words, there is no way to load GameCube backups through USB using homebrew and softmodding.
Exactly. I don't know where you found differing procedures, but it's certainly not on gbatemp. In here, these questions usually get answered VERY clearly. :P

There is something to be said about swiss, though. It loads games through the GC memory card slot. You'll need an SD gecko and an SD card, or an IDE hard drive and a certain specific cable, but once you got that, the setup isn't that hard.
Sound may hickup from time to time, but other than that, quite some games are certainly playable (IMO, even just being able to play Zelda 4 swords made it worth the hassle :) ).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1