How should I go about making my Wii able to play GameCube backups?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by P4wn4g3, Dec 9, 2011.

1. P4wn4g3
    OP

Newcomer P4wn4g3 Member

United States
    Hi,

I've found many differing procedures on this topic, so I'll just open it up for discussion. Basically, I want to be able to play GameCube games from USB. I have allocated some space on my backup drive that lets me play any Wii backups and I'd like to be able to make use of this space, and possibly the same program that runs the Wii backups (USB Loader) in order to load GameCube games from USB. I don't care if it is Action Replay supported, although that would be a nice option if I ever felt like doing that.

Anyway, a rather simple, n00b friendly set of instructions will do, or a link to a trusted set of instructions.

2. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The only thing that'll let you play Gamecube from usb is a WODE. Unless you have an older Wii ( pre-2009) that has a dvd drive that will play copied games....

3. P4wn4g3
    OP

Newcomer P4wn4g3 Member

United States
    Well my Wii might be that old, I don't really remember nor do I know how to check, backup discs would be inconvenient though so I'd like to avoid that route if possible.

What is a WODE, how do I get one, install one, use one, etc.?

4. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Here read it & you will know what is a WODE . You should run syscheck to see if your wii can read backup discs then you should just use it & save yourself all the WODE money .

5. P4wn4g3
    OP

Newcomer P4wn4g3 Member

United States
    Ah. So in other words, there is no way to load GameCube backups through USB using homebrew and softmodding.

6. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    No, not now & probably never . You can run them through sd using DML but its not really easy to set up & the compatibility isn't great .

Those methods are meant for people who can't run backup discs so they just settle with them . If your wii can read backup discs use neogamma to launch them & save yourself the trouble.

7. Troelzkii

Newcomer Troelzkii Member

Denmark
    You could also look into Swiss and use an IDE harddrive, but it is not really an optimal solution

8. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Exactly. I don't know where you found differing procedures, but it's certainly not on gbatemp. In here, these questions usually get answered VERY clearly. :P

There is something to be said about swiss, though. It loads games through the GC memory card slot. You'll need an SD gecko and an SD card, or an IDE hard drive and a certain specific cable, but once you got that, the setup isn't that hard.
    Sound may hickup from time to time, but other than that, quite some games are certainly playable (IMO, even just being able to play Zelda 4 swords made it worth the hassle :) ).

9. Category

Member Category Trainee Romhacker

United Kingdom
    Buy an SD Gecko for 2-3$, and use Swiss. I can't sing the praises of swiss enough!