Hacking How safe is it to mod vWii?

dewi616

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As the title implies, I would like to know how safe it actually is to mod a vWii. If it would be to play wads, emulators and maybe nintendon't, is there a chance that my vWii will brick?

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's always a chance you can brick, same chances apply on the Wii. Read the pinned posts. The chance increases if you try doing stuff you aren't sure about such as installing wads

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. It can only brick when you are modifying the nand. So after you install the homebrew channel you are good to go. Unless you plan on installing wads

dewi616

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright thank you guys, I've been really on edge about doing this but I know feel a bit more into the idea of it :lol:

dewi616

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK so let's say I brick vWii by mistake, will the Wii U side be affected, and is it possible for a Wii U update to modify vWii software?
(Thanks for answering!)

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
OK so let's say I brick vWii by mistake, will the Wii U side be affected, and is it possible for a Wii U update to modify vWii software?
(Thanks for answering!)

Well, it depends, I hear some people get some problems updating by touching a IOS (I don't remember which IOS was :( ) however, it never happend to me, if you brick your vWii, Wii U mode should still working, and you can't restore the NAND by software solution yet...
Also, some Wii U System updates, updates some vWii parts, however, homebrew will be still working, Nintendo some times updates channels, and some IOSes (If I not bad remember, 5.1.0 update updated IOS62, however I can still acces Wii Shop Channel, I'm in 5.0.0 firmware )

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
hmmm ok so last question, what do you recommend I install?

Basic stuff: Homebrew Channel, some USB Loader and Custom IOSes.
Recommended stuff (My opinion): Homebrew Channel, Nintendont, CFG USB Loader vWii edition, USB Loader GX (for better compatibility), Some WADs games, and Trinux (It requires IOS254).

And, don't worry about Wii U mode updates, Nintendo doesn't seems to care so much about vWii, if they do, they would blocked Homebrew Channel a long time ago ;) .

dewi616

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you guys so much for your help, it's very appreciated and I hope this will also help other people in my situation !!:lol:

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it depends, I hear some people get some problems updating by touching a IOS (I don't remember which IOS was :( ) however, it never happend to me, if you brick your vWii, Wii U mode should still working, and you can't restore the NAND by software solution yet...
Also, some Wii U System updates, updates some vWii parts, however, homebrew will be still working, Nintendo some times updates channels, and some IOSes (If I not bad remember, 5.1.0 update updated IOS62, however I can still acces Wii Shop Channel, I'm in 5.0.0 firmware )

It was both vIOS 36 (attempting to patch it and create IOS 236) and vIOS 80 that was causing issues, I believe

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
Basic stuff: Homebrew Channel, some USB Loader and Custom IOSes.
Recommended stuff (My opinion): Homebrew Channel, Nintendont, CFG USB Loader vWii edition, USB Loader GX (for better compatibility), Some WADs games, and Trinux (It requires IOS254).

And, don't worry about Wii U mode updates, Nintendo doesn't seems to care so much about vWii, if they do, they would blocked Homebrew Channel a long time ago ;) .
Why would any one bother with Trinux ?

Pip'

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/26/24206529/intel-13th-14th-gen-crashing-instability-cpu-voltage-q-a