Hardware How powerful does the WiiU have to be for you to be satisfied with it?

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 23,351
  • Replies 265

How powerful does the WiiU have to be for you to be satisfied with it?

• At least on-par with the PS3/360.

Votes: 58 23.4%
  • About a half-step above the PS3/360.

Votes: 113 45.6%
  • Significantly more powerful than the PS3/360 (1.1TFLOPS+)

Votes: 77 31.0%

• Total voters

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd think the only reason they were more popular and sold more was because it was easier to pirate games with the Playstations. Anything that is easier to pirate in sells really well, especially in poor countries where people cannot afford to buy legit video games.
You could say the exact same thing about the Wii, though. It took me literally about only 45 minutes between research and execution to fully soft-mod my Wii when I got it, and I could easily run "backups" from DVD or SD card or HDD if I wanted (I don't, btw)

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd think the only reason they were more popular and sold more was because it was easier to pirate games with the Playstations. Anything that is easier to pirate in sells really well, especially in poor countries where people cannot afford to buy legit video games.
You could say the exact same thing about the Wii, though. It took me literally about only 45 minutes between research and execution to fully soft-mod my Wii when I got it, and I could easily run "backups" from DVD or SD card or HDD if I wanted (I don't, btw)
Yes, you're exactly right. :lol:
Just shows that majority of people doesnt actually care about graphics or gameplay (or power, to be on topic), but just want something cheap.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you're exactly right. :lol:
Just shows that majority of people doesnt actually care about graphics or gameplay (or power, to be on topic), but just want something cheap.
point taken. but that said, i still don't believe that's the only reason those systems sold well.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
No, I wasn't. If you've seen the Xbox 720 design document that was leaked the other day, it basically confirms that the 720 will use an AMD 6670 GPU.
That is shit in graphics card form. The WiiU is thought to be using the AMD 4850. Don't let those numbers fool you - the 4850 is actually more powerful than the 6670 - the 6670 is the definition of a budget card and is barely a step up from what's in the current Xbox, whereas the 4850 is more equivalent to a high-end GPU from a couple of years ago.
IF (and that's a big if) MS' leaked roadmap is true, it's fairly obvious that they're going for the casual crowd. It will be more powerful than the 360, but only to keep up - the WiiU, on the other hand, will be as powerful as high end computers from a couple of years back, WITH the added strain of that second 480p screen. Current WiiU games display at 720p but the hardware is very capable of outputting both a 1080p and a 480p signal AT THE SAME TIME - something the next Xbox will not be able to manage.
1. The 6670 is not "barely a step-up" over the 360. At 768 GFLOPS (vs. 240), it's a moderate leap over the 360. It certainly isn't the best choice for a next-gen console but it's doable.

2. The next Xbox is not using a 6670. That info is from Microsoft's old target specs. In fact, the latest info is that the Xbox 720 is using a 1TFLOP 7000 series GPU along with 8GB of RAM and an 8 core CPU. Not as powerful as the PS4 but more than good enough.

3. The Wii U is not using a 4850. The early devkits were using a 4830 underclocked to 576 GFLOPS with Nintendo saying that the final GPU would be roughly equivalent to a 4830 (that isn't underclocked). That all could have changed, though.

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
No, I wasn't. If you've seen the Xbox 720 design document that was leaked the other day, it basically confirms that the 720 will use an AMD 6670 GPU.
That is shit in graphics card form. The WiiU is thought to be using the AMD 4850. Don't let those numbers fool you - the 4850 is actually more powerful than the 6670 - the 6670 is the definition of a budget card and is barely a step up from what's in the current Xbox, whereas the 4850 is more equivalent to a high-end GPU from a couple of years ago.
IF (and that's a big if) MS' leaked roadmap is true, it's fairly obvious that they're going for the casual crowd. It will be more powerful than the 360, but only to keep up - the WiiU, on the other hand, will be as powerful as high end computers from a couple of years back, WITH the added strain of that second 480p screen. Current WiiU games display at 720p but the hardware is very capable of outputting both a 1080p and a 480p signal AT THE SAME TIME - something the next Xbox will not be able to manage.
1. The 6670 is not "barely a step-up" over the 360. At 768 GFLOPS (vs. 240), it's a moderate leap over the 360. It certainly isn't the best choice for a next-gen console but it's doable.

2. The next Xbox is not using a 6670. That info is from Microsoft's old target specs. In fact, the latest info is that the Xbox 720 is using a 1TFLOP 7000 series GPU along with 8GB of RAM and an 8 core CPU. Not as powerful as the PS4 but more than good enough.

3. The Wii U is not using a 4850. The early devkits were using a 4830 underclocked to 576 GFLOPS with Nintendo saying that the final GPU would be roughly equivalent to a 4830 (that isn't underclocked). That all could have changed, though.
The 7000 series is a 7670, which is a rebranded 6670. MS will never put 8GB of RAM and and Octacore CPU in the 720 because, while 8GB of RAM is relatively cheap, an Octacore is not. That would put up the cost of the console to over FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS, which worked so well for Sony, as we all know. This is even more important to consider when you realise that they're making it backwards compatible - that's another tri-core PPC processor to add in, that, while cheap, pushes the price up more.
If those specs were correct, the console would be seriously unbalanced - a shitty graphics card with RAM and CPUs most gaming PCs don't even have creates a huge choke point on the GPU. What the document actually said is the next Xbox will be able to be 'scaled up' to those specs - sensible given that they predict a 10 FUCKING YEAR lifespan. (They can't be serious with that 10 year prediction, surely?)
No, I predict we'll see 2GB of RAM and a quad-core CPU. For pricing mainly.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Powerful enough to do 1080p at 60 fps and look decent. I know the next generation of Playstation and Xbox are going to be good looking, but honestly I can't see them looking so much nicer that I have to run out and get one, like the jump from PS2 to PS3. Its going to take an exclusive like Halo (or all of the PS exclusives combined) to get me to buy something besides the WiiU.

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they predict a 10 FUCKING YEAR lifespan. (They can't be serious with that 10 year prediction, surely?)
IIRC, Sony predicted a 10 year lifespan with the PS3.

Depends on what you consider a lifespan. Technically the PS2 had a "ten year lifespan" but it was pretty much dead in its last years. Whether lifespan means when the product is still selling well, whether content is still being made for the product, or whether the product is still in production, is all relative.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
The 7000 series is a 7670, which is a rebranded 6670. MS will never put 8GB of RAM and and Octacore CPU in the 720 because, while 8GB of RAM is relatively cheap, an Octacore is not. That would put up the cost of the console to over FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS, which worked so well for Sony, as we all know. This is even more important to consider when you realise that they're making it backwards compatible - that's another tri-core PPC processor to add in, that, while cheap, pushes the price up more.
If those specs were correct, the console would be seriously unbalanced - a shitty graphics card with RAM and CPUs most gaming PCs don't even have creates a huge choke point on the GPU. What the document actually said is the next Xbox will be able to be 'scaled up' to those specs - sensible given that they predict a 10 FUCKING YEAR lifespan. (They can't be serious with that 10 year prediction, surely?)
No, I predict we'll see 2GB of RAM and a quad-core CPU. For pricing mainly.
The 7000s series is also the 7850 and 7770 in which the latter is 1.2TFLOPS (close to the specs I mentioned).

The octacore processor was a mistake of mine. The specs actually say that it's a 4-6 core processor. And 8GB is entirely reasonable if you understand what Microsoft is trying to accomplish with the system. They don't just want to be a game machine, they want to be the number one entertainment box. The leaked document spoke of an "always on" state regarding the console with rumours stating that it can also function as a DVR. A significant amount of RAM dedicated to the OS (I would guess 3GB) would help accomplish those features.

When the document spoke of the Xbox being "scaled up" to more powerful hardware, they were referring to an entirely different thing (cloud computing).

2GB of RAM isn't happening. It doesn't match up with what insiders have been saying and it doesn't match up with what Microsoft is trying to accomplish. A quad-core CPU is likely, though. As for the 7670, that isn't happening. The doc said that the 720 would be at least 6x as powerful as the 360. The 7670 (or rather 6670) just doesn't cut it for that.

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For it to be successful, WiiU must run Unreal Engine 4. It HAS to, because PS3/Nextbox will be designed with that engine (or comparable ones) in mind. Wii got nothing but shovelware because it didn't have the horsepower for UE3 or equivalent, and that is the level all 3rd parties were aiming at.

filipepw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
because of the wii, ppl have been underestimating Nintendo.
i have a wii, i love the games,
i dont fell like every game needs to have some badass dude with a gun basting everyone and never getting hit

i think it has to be atleast above PS3/360, just to shut some ppl who know nothing about gaming...

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
so what if it is more powerfull? if its is , nintendo is going to make more games like call of duty , or assasin creed ( reality games ) and will make less games like it used to do , like mario or pokemon, which is the core of nintendo , and are the only purpose to buy nintendo consoles ( i have every of them )

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Wii U specs rumors resurface

New Wii U Specs (dev kits)
  • Wii U CPU runs at 3.4 GHz and has 3 cores
  • 2 MB L2 cache on one core, 512 KB on the two other cores
  • 3 GB memory for dev kits, 1.5 GB of memory for retail consoles
  • Custom AMD Wii U GPU with 32 MB embedded eDRAM and unified shader architecture
  • More GPU features: custom shader support, compute shader support, 128 bit floating point HDR texture filtering, multi-sample anti-aliasing, 720p + 4X MSAA, or 1080p no MSAA rendering.
  • Dedicated 120 MHz audio processor, 6 channel audio for console, 2 channel for controller
  • 512 MB of on-board flash storage for the Wii U operating system
  • 8 GB of flash storage for apps and games.

D

Deleted_171835

OP

• Custom AMD Wii U GPU with 32 MB embedded eDRAM and unified shader architecture
  • More GPU features: custom shader support, compute shader support, 128 bit floating point HDR texture filtering, multi-sample anti-aliasing, 720p + 4X MSAA, or 1080p no MSAA rendering.
  • Dedicated 120 MHz audio processor, 6 channel audio for console, 2 channel for controller
All of that is old and confirmed. Those are the real specs but we knew about them awhile ago.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

All of that is old and confirmed. Those are the real specs but we knew about them awhile ago.

hmm, my pc is more powerful than the wii u 0_0, meh, it doesn't matter, as long as nintendo give us great games then i am ok with it, it's not always about nice graphics.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
hmm, my pc is more powerful than the wii u 0_0, meh, it doesn't matter, as long as nintendo give us great games then i am ok with it, it's not always about nice graphics.
Er, mind telling me your PC's specs?

But these don't exactly tell us much about the Wii U. Just some basic details.

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
It would be fine by me if the graphics are equal to my wii emulator running at 1080p +anti aliasing and such. I personally don't need more graphical details on the system just needs to not look pixelatated like with the 360 and ps3 sure I am using a computer screen to display it but thats just my requirements if it fufils that its fine by me for nintendo games. For the more advanced looking games I already have a pc consoles can't come close to at least according to the rumors of the next gen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: