How much music do you have?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Garbage in, garbage out is certainly a thing to contemplate but if the MP3 is not the 90kbps line in got it off napster/limewire/shareaza/allofmp3 demo track (delete as appropriate) and instead something vaguely sensible (128 works for some things but we can go with 190 for this) is it really that noticeable, especially on standard human ear possibly addled by years of concerts, power tools and engines*? Furthermore does that much really matter -- jazz appreciation hour where we spend it contemplating choice of blue notes or classical where I just absolutely have to hear the pin drop during the drop (a sparrow farting outside the venue ruining the experience) not really describing the majority of musical enjoyment, even among those that would sit down and listen to music as a thing rather than allowing ninjas to sneak up while jogging or as background noise to prevent them from thinking (or thinking too much). This also says nothing of the loudness wars and effects there (from where I sit the only non mastering related benefit of the 24 bit sample depth for human audio).

*I tested mine somewhat recently. I top out around 13KHz** and it is a struggle/better if on-off testing rather than continuous climb for a long while before then (and that is with decent headphones and superb speakers in a quiet room, did it in a workshop on crap speakers and oh dear where the youths there did fine I guess), or more generally I probably have the hearing of a 90 year old. Mine started bad and only went downhill from there though (also not taking care of it in the slightest -- tools, engines, concerts all day long with no sign of PPE save where health and safety might actually cause me trouble, which is nowhere I have done anything/am self employed) so maybe understanding the plight of the golden ears is beyond me.

https://fretsuccess.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/2-all-instruments-freq-range.jpg

https://fretsuccess.com/what-are-the-guitar-string-frequencies/
2-all-instruments-freq-range.jpg

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
To be honest, I don't really know, I think I have 6 or 7 TB of music in all formats but especially WAV and MP3 320, besides that I must have a collection of around 1500 / 2000 records (vinyls, cds and tapes).

Reactions: MicroNut99

MoshpitWorkout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Back in the Napster days I remember people flexing with how big their music collections were. This one kid whose parents had money was a notorious pirate and had at some point amassed over 10K files, most of which he didn't listen to so I didn't see the point.

I originally collected CDs back in the day then moved to digital when that got easier, but I dropped everything when streaming started picking up. After having discovered a lot of cool new bands that aren't on Spotify I've gone back to buying stuff, physically or digitally, and have started a new collection that is now up to 3500+ tracks. I love going to shows and buying a CD from a local band because I know that if they never blow up and they eventually hang up their instruments and get "real jobs" I will still have their music with me.

boot3

Internet trash
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope not.. I was at a show on Wednesday and I enjoyed one of the bands so I bought a CD off them. They seemed genuinely surprised that I wanted a CD instead of a t-shirt.
Yeah, I mean it's just because of how streaming services have become standard.

Also I was at a show as well ^.^

Last edited by boot3,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.