Gaming How much does component cables improve overall display quality on a Wii?

Alex658

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
(Component cables are the ones with 3 video outs+2audio outs)

I'm currently using normal composite cables to connect my wii to both an HDTV and a normal SDTV.
I understand that the output will still be 480i and it's only the lightning if ever that's going to make a difference in the image.

I've also heard of 3rd party HDMI adapters, but does this really improve quality at all?
Please if you could help with any advice i'd appreciate it.

PS: My SDTV has no component-in so that would make the component cables useless for that tv. But in the HDTV my friend has where i often put my wii, composite seems to fall really short in quality.

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I found using component cables gives a huge boost in colour crispness and contrast. Your mileage may vary, but I've found them to be a huge improvement in picture quality.

No experience with 3rd party HDMI cables though, so I can't help you there.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii w/ component is a major boost over composite, and a very worthwhile boost over s-video even. You don't need anything fancy either - I got my component cable from monoprice.

As for 3rd party hdmi converters, there was only one that the videophile types considered suitable. It was the Neoya Wii2HDMI, but it appears to be out of production (not much demand since the Wii U is backward compatible for Wii). Their site was neoya.com. The other adapters out there, like the ones you'll find on Amazon & etc., and which mostly look cosmetically just like the Neoya, don't just convert the signal to HDMI, they also upscale. Usually with some lag. The Neoya did not add lag.

Here's a comparison of Wii output using component vs. the Neoya.

http://www.thethrillness.com/2014/02/neoya-wii2hdmi-review-component-vs-hdmi.html

It's subjective, but from those screenshots I'd probably prefer the picture from the Neoya over component. But it's not a big deal. Both produce an excellent picture vs. any other output available, and what little difference there is between them is minuscule compared to the variances the television itself can cause.

eduall

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
first of all: upgrade the Sharpness of your TV to 100% and will see the result! ;)
every tv has 50% default

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-