Hacking How many paperweights have created A9LH?

Dear user... Did you brick your unit installing A9LH?

• Total voters

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
OP - to answer your question, at LEAST 1.

4TGiZbN.jpg

thewarhammer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
People, I need a hand.

A friend of mine was following Plailect's guide, and was near the end of it (Part 5, Section IV). According to what he said to me, everything was alright until the restoring EmuNAND to SysNAND part.

I wasn't around when it happened so I can't say for sure if he did something wrong (and knowing him, I guess he's being honest with me), but at the end of the restore, the AL9H was gone and he "had 2 NANDs". When booting with the SD Card, it was exactly as his original EmuNAND with his Cias, but without access to them, and without the SD, a clean updated SysNAND.

Obviously something went wrong and he ended with an updated SysNAND, but I can't see what went wrong with the process. Can anyone guess what happened?

Last edited by thewarhammer,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
People, I need a hand.

A friend of mine was following Plailect's guide, and was near the end of it (Part 5, Section IV). According to what he said to me, everything was alright until the restoring EmuNAND to SysNAND part.

I wasn't around when it happened so I can't say for sure if he did something wrong (and knowing him, I guess he's being honest with me), but at the end of the restore, the AL9H was gone and he "had 2 NANDs". When booting with the SD Card, it was exactly as his original EmuNAND with his Cias, but without access to them, and without the SD, a clean updated SysNAND.

Obviously something went wrong and he ended with an updated SysNAND, but I can't see what went wrong with the process. Can anyone guess what happened?
Sounds like he flashed the emuNAND to sysNAND without 'keep a9lh' ticked. He can see the CIAs with the SD in because they are installed to his Nintendo 3DS folder, but can't use them because he doesn't have signature patching. That's just a guess :-)

thewarhammer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sounds like he flashed the emuNAND to sysNAND without 'keep a9lh' ticked. He can see the CIAs with the SD in because they are installed to his Nintendo 3DS folder, but can't use them because he doesn't have signature patching. That's just a guess :-)

That's what I thought. But as he said to me, the guide doesn't specify to use that exact option, so he simply used the "Restore NAND" option.

Oh fuck, I see what happened, he mixed the guides (the Pt-Br translation with the Pt-Pt one). The Pt-Pt is wrongfully using Decrypt9 as Hourglass9 at one step (Dentro da pasta /luma/payloads, renomeie o Decrypt9WIP.bin para start_Hg9.bin - in the /luma/payloads folder, rename Decrypt9WIP.bin to start_Hg9.bin), but it's usage refers to Hourglass9. So, he restored without keeping the AL9H, because as Hourglass9 does it automatically the guide says to do so...

Anyway, that's sad. But thanks for the reply!

Last edited by thewarhammer,

pepehugo14

Trophies
XP
Country
I did two N3DS's and a 2DS when the A9LH stage2 it didn't even have screen init and we didn't have anything as complete as plailect's guide. I even did change some of the code in the N3ds 2.1 nand backup patching for it to work. I didn't have any problems then, I didn't have any problems updating the A9LH to the shadowhand's screen init one, and of course I did't have any problems with Luma. I'm actively doing (every now and then, slow) development over a9lh cakes in the three systems. No biggie.
Hola, podrías echarme una mano? tengo un problema en el proceso de instalación de a9lh, quería enviarte un mp pero tristemente no encuentro la opción jajaja, espero tu respuesta.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I used Plailect's guide to downgrade from 10.6, I think, back when it still used CakesFW. I stopped after the emunand bit, because I got scared at the prospect of downgrading my N3DSXL down to 2.something, where there's a very real chance of hitting a brick wall instead of hitting the jackpot. I only wanted access to running unsigned code anyway, and emuNAND does that perfectly fine.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I bricked my first try at A9LH, but only because the person compiled my personal arm9loaderhax.bin file made a mistake. I recompiled myself using the online service and it worked fine.

All of my units are hard modded so, impossible for paperweights to be created here

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I have installed A9LH on 2 O3DS's and 1 N3DS. Those three went fine without any issues. I was attempting a second N3DS for a friend and bricked it.

I ran the 2.1 downgrader from the homebrew launcher instead of a cia and I think it downgraded the sysnand instead of emunand but I can not be sure. It failed part way through and the system would not turn on any more with or without the SD card. I was also unable to get into the recovery menu.

I sent it to Hundshamer yesterday so hopefully it will be good to go in the coming weeks.
These kinds of simple errors are exactly the kinds of things that scare me the most, especially if the guide doesn't tell you to watch out for things like this.

Jay Clay

Trophies
XP
Country
I installed a9lh last night on my new 3ds, by the way it is not difficult to do it but laborious, I moved from menuhax because I don't want to use emunand in my microsd, so right now I have luma3ds a9lh in my sysnand and everything is smooth, well my question is, do I have to keep some files in my pc? like my otp or something? I have decrypt9wip installed and emunand9 as well in recovery mode just in case.

Last edited by Jay Clay,

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I installed a9lh last night on my new 3ds, by the way it is not difficult to do it but laborious, I moved from menuhax because I don't want to use emunand in my microsd, so right now I have luma3ds a9lh in my sysnand and everything is smooth, well my question is, do I have to keep some files in my pc? like my otp or something? I have decrypt9wip installed and emunand9 as well in recovery mode just in case.

Make a nand backup (every week or so) and keep that safe on your computer. Also keep your OTP file somewhere safe. The rest is not that important.

Reactions: Jay Clay

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Topic title is misleading.

I thought it would tell us how many 3DS systems Plailect sacrificed in order for Arm9loader to be discovered for the rest of us end users to use.

MontyQ

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
used the guide n3ds first time no errors nothing heck its laid out stop 1 2 3 4 5 ect. not like you can messup unless you don't read and follow along.

Jay Clay

Trophies
XP
Country
Make a nand backup (every week or so) and keep that safe on your computer. Also keep your OTP file somewhere safe. The rest is not that important.

I see, so I can delete the band.bin, nand_emu.bin and formatted_nand.bin I used when I installed a9lh right? , making a new nand backup periodically and my OTP would be enough, sorry for my noob question but what about later when nintendo release a new update, can you just install the update or just wait for luma3ds instructions?

TomatoPaste

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed Luma and a9lh last weekend, finally decided to do something with my 3ds. Went fine using the Plailect guide. Took a while because I was paranoid... But went fine.
Went to grab my sons 3ds to hook him up and he upgraded to 11.x so... Looks like it's either going to be a while to put him on cfw or trade his in and get a new one pre 10.7...

I am still booting to emunand though. I don't understand the flashing it to sysnand... Isn't that just dangerous? What if it messes up can you still recover if the sysnand gets corrupted?

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed Luma and a9lh last weekend, finally decided to do something with my 3ds. Went fine using the Plailect guide. Took a while because I was paranoid... But went fine.
Went to grab my sons 3ds to hook him up and he upgraded to 11.x so... Looks like it's either going to be a while to put him on cfw or trade his in and get a new one pre 10.7...

I am still booting to emunand though. I don't understand the flashing it to sysnand... Isn't that just dangerous? What if it messes up can you still recover if the sysnand gets corrupted?

If you have backups, it's recoverable, so there really is no risk on sysnand anymore. Also,it eliminates emunand, thus freeing up space.

Your sons 3ds can still be done, via hardmod.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've bricked one and made another useless atm. Just waiting on money to get them hardmodded.
Both were my fault. But hey! 1/3 isn't bad! :yay3ds:

TomatoPaste

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have backups, it's recoverable, so there really is no risk on sysnand anymore. Also,it eliminates emunand, thus freeing up space.

Your sons 3ds can still be done, via hardmod.
I've been looking into that. Been a while since I soldered anything, may be worth it, not sure how much I want to go through the trouble.
I was on still on 9.7 or something so it was a cake walk once I got past the nerves of a possible brick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1