How many of you still have Java installed?

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by FAST6191, Aug 28, 2012.

Aug 28, 2012
  1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    With the latest serious Java vulnerability and Oracle operating on a three month patch window (in this case putting it some time in October) without much indication of breaking it the advice coming down is to disable Java (or at least the web JRE)- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/27/disable_java_to_block_exploit/ although said article notes for proper sysadmins there is a third party patch available.

Personally I never noticed Java existing and then uninstalled it as a test some time back. Since then I have not noted anything really broken but it seems I have a bank with maybe a fraction of a clue about website building and the UK government seems just about able to handle CSS so no danger of java there any time soon (the less said about US government websites the better). On the client front I never install it as standard and do not even tend to carry around a standalone installer and what little corporate stuff I deal with does not want it either.

Prediction of several replies- "I would but minecraft"

Short version Java- still got it installed? If it is installed is it a vital piece of kit or something you have to work around?

2. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    You already predicted my reply: Minecraft is the only reason I would use Java nowadays. In fact, I think it's the only Java program I've used for years. One solution is to use NoScript to globally block all Java applets and run minecraft using the standalone executable. That way there shouldn't be any risks... In fact, I think I'm going to do this from now on. *runs off to settings

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Internet experience on my iPad against Internet experience in my smartphone?

Long story short, I notice the difference when there's Java or not. I totally prefer having Java, simply because there are still a multitude of sites that need Java to work.

When HTML5 becomes more widespread... Then I'll stop using Java.

earlynovfan likes this.
  4. ByteMunch

Member ByteMunch GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I'm on 1.7, so dropping to 1.6 now, and using OSX until I learn more about this.
    Also, minecraft.

5. TheDreamLord

Member TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Ireland
    Minecraft, and in the future, programming. I make Minecraft LP's so yeah ;D

6. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    I still have it installed because... well, I dunno.

7. Aeter

Member Aeter A walking contradiction

Netherlands
    My Firefox client already disabled it as it found the plugin a cause of stability and security problems.
    Downgrading can only bring other complications as they mentioned:

8. weavile001

Member weavile001 Spiritmaster

Brazil
    i still have.

9. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    I only keep it because some Android dev software like for themes need it otherwise I would've uninstalled it already.

10. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    I only have it for Minecraft.
    Afaik....

11. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I'm not going to lie, I only have it to play Minecraft

12. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Minecraft primarily, but I do run across the odd online tool now and then that uses an applet to do things instead of putting the burden server-side (generally when dealing with raw binary data).

13. Ericthegreat

Member Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    I (try to and fail miserably) program in Java so I need it....

14. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I have JRE for OpenOffice. And that's kind of important.

15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I used to have it for OO and trying out random P2P programs, but I found Microsoft Office just works with relatively less issues (and college gets me official software at a discount) and the Java-based P2P programs were bleh.

But yeah, Java and Flash are in similar positions but with less penetration in different fields. Unfortunately Java's in the field with the slowest uptake, the business industry.

16. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    Minecraft. I also need it for several other things... (I have a bunch of scripts that open certain things while running backups of certain folders and some of the stuff requires Java)

17. SignZ

Member SignZ Timelord

Germany
    Now that you mention it... The only thing on my PC that would need Java is Minecraft, which I don't play anymore. I think I'm going to remove it later.

18. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I should have mentioned in my opening post but I use libreoffice and did use openoffice both of which despite claiming to want JRE will work fine without it as far as most functionality goes- certainly the typing/spreadsheeting/presentation making, printing, formatting/layout and saving stuff works.

This said that is not scientific so I went and looked up what goes and ended up with https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Java and http://ask.libreoffice.org/question/696/what-features-absolutely-require-java/ which was more than I expected and stuff I can see some people using but I stand by my anecdotal evidence for the time being.

As for programming in Java I can see why it was the chosen language for a lot of places (it functions well as a general use and a teaching language without silly amounts of extensions/libraries) but for some reason I never really went in for it and then Python came along for when I wanted a throw something together language with a serious lean towards being relatively platform independent.

19. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    I need it for some Blackberry Playbook related tools (for loading apps onto the playbook, mostly e.g. Android apps). Sadly the tools provided by RIM to do so are Java. Other than that, I don't think I much use Java at all. Perhaps for one or two Android reverse engineering tools, but with the amount I use them, it's not completely essential I be able to run them.

Perhaps I should setup a virtual machine with Java installed and then uninstall it from my normal OS. Might look into that.

20. Supersonicmonk

Member Supersonicmonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I use OpenJDK 1.7 on Fedora, does this suffer from the same security problems? That'd explain why it isn't installed by default.