How many of you still have Java installed?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With the latest serious Java vulnerability and Oracle operating on a three month patch window (in this case putting it some time in October) without much indication of breaking it the advice coming down is to disable Java (or at least the web JRE)- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/27/disable_java_to_block_exploit/ although said article notes for proper sysadmins there is a third party patch available.

Personally I never noticed Java existing and then uninstalled it as a test some time back. Since then I have not noted anything really broken but it seems I have a bank with maybe a fraction of a clue about website building and the UK government seems just about able to handle CSS so no danger of java there any time soon (the less said about US government websites the better). On the client front I never install it as standard and do not even tend to carry around a standalone installer and what little corporate stuff I deal with does not want it either.

Prediction of several replies- "I would but minecraft"

Short version Java- still got it installed? If it is installed is it a vital piece of kit or something you have to work around?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You already predicted my reply: Minecraft is the only reason I would use Java nowadays. In fact, I think it's the only Java program I've used for years. One solution is to use NoScript to globally block all Java applets and run minecraft using the standalone executable. That way there shouldn't be any risks... In fact, I think I'm going to do this from now on. *runs off to settings

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Internet experience on my iPad against Internet experience in my smartphone?

Long story short, I notice the difference when there's Java or not. I totally prefer having Java, simply because there are still a multitude of sites that need Java to work.

When HTML5 becomes more widespread... Then I'll stop using Java.

Reactions: earlynovfan

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My Firefox client already disabled it as it found the plugin a cause of stability and security problems.
I'm on 1.7, so dropping to 1.6 now, and using OSX until I learn more about this.
Also, minecraft.
Downgrading can only bring other complications as they mentioned:
Downgrading to an earlier version of Java is not advised, because even though earlier versions aren't vulnerable to this particular exploit, they may contain other bugs that expose still other vulnerabilities.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I used to have it for OO and trying out random P2P programs, but I found Microsoft Office just works with relatively less issues (and college gets me official software at a discount) and the Java-based P2P programs were bleh.

But yeah, Java and Flash are in similar positions but with less penetration in different fields. Unfortunately Java's in the field with the slowest uptake, the business industry.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Minecraft. I also need it for several other things... (I have a bunch of scripts that open certain things while running backups of certain folders and some of the stuff requires Java)

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Now that you mention it... The only thing on my PC that would need Java is Minecraft, which I don't play anymore. I think I'm going to remove it later.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have JRE for OpenOffice. And that's kind of important.

I should have mentioned in my opening post but I use libreoffice and did use openoffice both of which despite claiming to want JRE will work fine without it as far as most functionality goes- certainly the typing/spreadsheeting/presentation making, printing, formatting/layout and saving stuff works.

This said that is not scientific so I went and looked up what goes and ended up with https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Java and http://ask.libreoffice.org/question/696/what-features-absolutely-require-java/ which was more than I expected and stuff I can see some people using but I stand by my anecdotal evidence for the time being.

As for programming in Java I can see why it was the chosen language for a lot of places (it functions well as a general use and a teaching language without silly amounts of extensions/libraries) but for some reason I never really went in for it and then Python came along for when I wanted a throw something together language with a serious lean towards being relatively platform independent.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I need it for some Blackberry Playbook related tools (for loading apps onto the playbook, mostly e.g. Android apps). Sadly the tools provided by RIM to do so are Java. Other than that, I don't think I much use Java at all. Perhaps for one or two Android reverse engineering tools, but with the amount I use them, it's not completely essential I be able to run them.

Perhaps I should setup a virtual machine with Java installed and then uninstall it from my normal OS. Might look into that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1