how likely is it that a game installed over usb will detect as corrupt (in settings/data management) if source nsp is valid?

OnTheGoRepairs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have had a couple games like Diablo III and Mortal Kombat 11 downloaded through torrents and they always install fine, but when I scan the game for corruption using the manage softwre option in settings they show as corrupted (even Diablo 3 downloaded from 2 different torrents with different filenames). To get a working game image in these two instances, I have downloaded the games from tinfoil, then used nxdumptool.

the method i am using to install is usbing usbloader and awoo installer.

If an sdcard has some degree of corruption, how likely is it to make the rest of the installed games corrupted? I am using fat32. what i find especially odd, is that even when system settings says a game has corrupt data found, chkdsk in windows will always report back that there is no corruption. is there a better program to detect (and fix) corrupted games on sdcard that anyone here can recommend?

Thanks GBAtemp. i have done some searching prior to posting this, but nothing answered these specefic questions..

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You could check in the first place if your downloaded games are OK. I use this little app to do that. It's old, but still works fine for me. You'll need latest prod.keys to use it.

If it tells you that your nsp files are good, then that means it's probably your installation method that corrupts. I would scrap AWOO and use the latest DBI instead. It's much more reliable. Come to think of it, maybe not the latest version, as v598 was giving me an error message when trying to install a game through USB using the backend. Try v576, it works flawlessly. DBI is still the king of installers. I'll wait for a new version to fix v598.

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
I've found when transferring ROMs to NAND storage at USB 3 speeds the copies are often imperfect. I only transfer using USB 2 now and haven't had any issues since I started doing this.

I use hashes to check file integrity by comparing the original to the copy. The tool I use is "MD5_and_SHA_Checksum_Utility.exe".

OnTheGoRepairs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it appears that all xci games installed using awoo causes the game to be corrupted... regardless if its xci or nsp i will only use dbi from here on out. if anyone knows why, or has similar stories I would be interested in hearing about it. (issues with awoo/usbloader and xci files)

but one question i can't find answered anywhere: is the only option to be formatting the sdcard after corruption is found? can other games and files become corrupted if there is just one or two corrupted games installed?

Tokiwa

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
it appears that all xci games installed using awoo causes the game to be corrupted... regardless if its xci or nsp i will only use dbi from here on out. if anyone knows why, or has similar stories I would be interested in hearing about it. (issues with awoo/usbloader and xci files)

but one question i can't find answered anywhere: is the only option to be formatting the sdcard after corruption is found? can other games and files become corrupted if there is just one or two corrupted games installed?

If it was sd card corruption it's possible. But your case looks to me it was just a bad install, if you reinstalled the games with DBI and it doesn't have any errors then i wouldn't worry about it.

I recommend to stick with DBI since it's more regularly updated, i use to to install games with mtp and usb stick all the time and never had any issues. Plus it has a lot of other useful features.

OnTheGoRepairs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is still one thing that I can't explain, but I have ruled out a software issue of any kind (two different computers, two different operating systems, both awoo and dbi confirmed, different usb cables, etc) basically when installing over USB it starts out strong going at 30-45mb/sec, and then it slows down drastically to <1-5mb/sec and then bounces back up to full speed, and goes back and forth like that. the only other possible reasons for this happening (i'm assuming corruption can cause this to happen) is a bad microsd card or faulty nintendo switch. luckily i have a SUPER old backup of my switch that my current cards were based off of, and as soon as my spare 1tb sdcard finishes slow-formatting, i'm going to patiently rebuild everything and then only use dbi. dbi also looks like the easiest/best option for transfering save games. this is truly an amazing program, as good a piece of software as tinfoil imo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users