Hacking How hard would it to be to make an iso patcher for macs?

Movi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Quit whining. Not only you can run Windows natively (Boot Camp is just a pretty name for a Driver CD), you can run it in a VM (vmWare/Parallels/VirtualBox, pick your poison). Or you can do the smart thing - buy (or something) Crossover Mac (or Crossover Games) which is just wine packaged in a easy-to-use GUI. Most of those patchers are just standard Windows MFC apps, and run more than happily using Crossover. Of course you could go and compile darwine (or something), and even get the stuff for free. But i like to support the guys that contribute to wine with my wallet.

Also - don't like it? Don't buy a mac. Nobody is forcing you to. Use your broken OS all you want.

Edit : Arm, Mac stuff is not based off of Linux in ANY way. It has Unix userland utils, but thats BSD, not GNU. Also, parallels is like vmWare or Virtualbox, a Virtual Machine app.

Totakeke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The extractpartition for Intel Mac in the other link is broken, by the way. It isn't recognized as an executable. At least for me.

Try this one if you can't run it either. I compiled it myself, and it runs . BUT I don't know if it actually patches correctly, so use it at your own risk. It's a command line program, obviously, so use the Terminal to run it. If you don't know how to use a command line program, you're shit out of luck. (Actually, it shouldn't be hard at all to make a GUI for it...)

(You can always just use the Windows version through Darwine. Darwine is COMPLETELY free, and the patching program is simple enough that it runs just fine. I've patched many games through it already in Darwine.)

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Arm the Homeless said:
Linus Torvalds could say:
"We have multiple desktops, can run games via Wine, have no viruses, is open-source, and Mac is based off of us. Linux is better than Windows. If you don't agree with me then you are both ugly and stupid."

I don't know what parallels desktop is, but I'm guessing it's like multiple desktops.
Parallels desktop is where you have a window open that displays the windows desktop. you can boot executables out of this window, and is a functional clone of the windows OS. Mac and windows together. There is no argument.
lecture.gif

plennt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Totakeke said:
The extractpartition for Intel Mac in the other link is broken, by the way. It isn't recognized as an executable. At least for me.

Try this one if you can't run it either. I compiled it myself, and it runs . BUT I don't know if it actually patches correctly, so use it at your own risk. It's a command line program, obviously, so use the Terminal to run it. If you don't know how to use a command line program, you're shit out of luck. (Actually, it shouldn't be hard at all to make a GUI for it...)

(You can always just use the Windows version through Darwine. Darwine is COMPLETELY free, and the patching program is simple enough that it runs just fine. I've patched many games through it already in Darwine.)

How do I run that file on a mac?

Zanonymous

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all of the responses, didn't expect too many. I have a PPC Mac from around 2005, so Boot Camp or any Intel stuff would be out of the question, I guess. I have NEVER heard of any of those programs like Darwine or Parallels or VMWare though, thanks a bunch on that. Sorry if that was any trouble KK if you put that Rapidshare link up.

I didn't BUY this Mac, by the way, I wouldn't spend that much money on a computer, it's just one my family used but just I use this now; not to say this doesn't work well, I rarely have problems with it. Surprising how many people have them now, but I guess it's because of the Intel stuff.

Anyway I'll get something to work, just had an idea that it wasn't very possible on a machine like this since I've never really HAD to use a specific Windows app (well I don't have to do any of this iso loading related stuff).

Totakeke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Darwine and Parallels won't do you much good if you're on a PPC Mac.

You can still try a virtual machine app/emulator, like VMware or VirtualBox. They'll be a lot slower but they'll do the job. You can try installing a free Linux distro through it, then install Wine (enables Windows programs on Linux) on that distro, and use the extractpartition for Windows on it.

OR just install Windows on VMware and run extractpartition through that. But that will require you to download a pirate copy of Windows, or buy it.

Zanonymous

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, yes, not many worked, and now I'm here again...well the only trouble I'm having is exactly what to download from VMWare. Their site is littered with stuff everywhere and they have multitudes of things to download. It's not like the others of course where you just find the download link...anyway will I have to download VMWare Fusion or something? My Mac is 10.4 if that helps. I think I'll find the answer to this soon though, anyway.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Totakeke said:
Yeah, Darwine and Parallels won't do you much good if you're on a PPC Mac.

You can still try a virtual machine app/emulator, like VMware or VirtualBox. They'll be a lot slower but they'll do the job. You can try installing a free Linux distro through it, then install Wine (enables Windows programs on Linux) on that distro, and use the extractpartition for Windows on it.

OR just install Windows on VMware and run extractpartition through that. But that will require you to download a pirate copy of Windows, or buy it.
VMware and Virtualbox won't work on a PPC Mac, and running Linux on a PPC Mac won't make wine work either. You could try and find an old copy of VirtualPC, which is an emulator not a virtual machine, and thus emulates an x86 PC on a PPC Mac. Or as others have said, you could see if you could compile the patcher for PPC, or use an x86 Mac.

jimi00

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Virtualization only works on Intel Macs.
On PPC Macs emulation works perfectly. The most popular emulator for PPC Macs used to be Connectix Virtual PC (now a Microsoft product). Other emulators are discussed here: http://www.macwindows.com/pcemul.html

plennt said:
so there is no way this can be run on a mac with out some sort of virtualization or emulation software?

macmoreira

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
plennt said:
so there is no way this can be run on a mac with out some sort of virtualization or emulation software?

I´m using a Hackintosh (PC with a Mac OSX Leopard).
Follow DJTAZ tips (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showuser=135836).
Get Parallels Desktop (it´s incredible easy).
Run WiiBackupPatcher (DJTAZ) inside Parallels to patch your ISO.
Burn it with Disk Utility (Utilities folder) at low speed.
Works for me.

waeking

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am trying to use extractpartition on a intel mac

chmod 777 extractpartition - This chmod will make it executable

./extractpartition filename_in.iso filename_out.iso - This is how to execute the command

cannot open root-key: No such file or directory - this is the error that I get

I have put the root-key and the common-key in the same folder as the extractpartiton. Any Ideas?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay