How fast to burn

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by JinTrigger, Apr 7, 2009.

Apr 7, 2009

How fast to burn by JinTrigger at 3:45 AM (1,164 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    I finally got a Super Smash Brothers Brawl iso that has been reduced to 4.7gb or whatever. So how fast should I burn it to the DVD so it'll be ready for play on my Wii.

2. Sharpz

Member Sharpz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Most recommend 2.4x or 4x to avoid bad burns.It depends on the quality of your burner also.The better and newer your burner the faster you can burn it.

3. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Burn as fast as possible.

4. Sharpz

Member Sharpz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Uh ,NO! As I said it depends.I'd say nothing over 8x.Burn faster than 8x and you will most definitely have to re-burn it because of a bad burn.

5. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    I think I'll try 4x but if anyone got more suggestions keep'um coming....I'm using dvd decrypter and its on my dad's laptop which is less than half a year old or close to it

6. Chemodile

Newcomer Chemodile Advanced Member

United States
    Everything I've read recommends 2.4x or below. I burn everything at 1x just to be safe, as single layer dvds don't take very long anyway.

7. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    IMO 4x DVD speed is the max you should use in general.

On a side note:
    Some burners can get away with burning much faster than others while still maintaining quality. My previous DVD burners (NEC 1300A, Sony DRU-150A) both had inconsistent burn quality from one disc in a spindle to the next that was linked somewhat to the speed. I didn't want to waste anymore discs so I did some investigating and heard a lot of praise for the Pioneer DVR-11XD drives and Pioneer drives in general. I ended up getting a DVR-216D (SATA instead of IDE like the 116D is). I have burnt everything @ 4x on it and the discs read beautifully on every drive I've checked. Not to mention it is able to read discs that are 7 years old and burnt on a crappy burner that couldn't even read the discs it wrote some of the time. [​IMG]

8. Smartpal

Member Smartpal The Guitar Guy

India
    My burner is quite new so I burn at 8x, works perfectly for me.

9. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    General rules for good burns:

Older burner/older firmware: try burns at 4x and 8x and see what works best with your burner and media, it's hard to say. The main problems with older burners are not supporting faster burn speeds and not knowing burn strategies for newer media codes. If your burner is really old and really shitty you may need to burn at 2.4x, but if that's the case you should be looking into getting a new burner.

Newer burner: in general, you will get a poor burn if you burn slower than half the rated speed of the media. Do not burn 16x media under 8x unless you have a very good reason for doing so. For 8x media, try 4x and 8x. For 16x media, try 8x, 12x and 16x and see what produces the best result, but any of those speeds should produce a decent result.

Test your burns with DVDInfoPro or Nero CD-DVD Speed/Nero DiscSpeed to find out in excruciating detail just how good (or bad - quality score of '0' is not a good thing [​IMG]) they are.

10. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    first of all a SLOW burn can be a coaster just as likely as a faster speed burn

as long as you DVDR drive is capable (update all FW for your drives) you should burn at the speed listed on the disc itself.
    if you get problems THEN start lowering speed. i use 16x verbs and 8x imation discs, always burning at the disc speed.

11. Lubbo

Member Lubbo GBAtemp Traceur

Australia
    definitely burn at MAX ive burnt at MAX for every PS2 and Wii game and never had a problem

12. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Oh really? Is that an absolute FACT?

80+ games burnt on 16x media at 18x that ALL work FINE on my Wii say otherwise.

13. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    16X speed for all DVD-Rs here. 475+ Verbatim DVDs burned so far with my Sony DRU-840A. Not a single error and all the early burns I have still run perfectly as if just burned.

14. Nera

Newcomer Nera Advanced Member

Belgium
    Uum, I would say 8x because I burned Guitar hero aerosmith on 4x and the game froze at a certain point in the game, then i burned it again at 8x and it didn't froze at that point(i tried the song 3times on the 4x and at the same point it froze...)

15. mcj

Member mcj GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Everyone has their own opinion on this. If you had SEARCHED you would have found all the other threads with the exact same answers!