Hardware How fast to burn

Sharpz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most recommend 2.4x or 4x to avoid bad burns.It depends on the quality of your burner also.The better and newer your burner the faster you can burn it.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
I think I'll try 4x but if anyone got more suggestions keep'um coming....I'm using dvd decrypter and its on my dad's laptop which is less than half a year old or close to it

Chemodile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything I've read recommends 2.4x or below. I burn everything at 1x just to be safe, as single layer dvds don't take very long anyway.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO 4x DVD speed is the max you should use in general.

On a side note:
Some burners can get away with burning much faster than others while still maintaining quality. My previous DVD burners (NEC 1300A, Sony DRU-150A) both had inconsistent burn quality from one disc in a spindle to the next that was linked somewhat to the speed. I didn't want to waste anymore discs so I did some investigating and heard a lot of praise for the Pioneer DVR-11XD drives and Pioneer drives in general. I ended up getting a DVR-216D (SATA instead of IDE like the 116D is). I have burnt everything @ 4x on it and the discs read beautifully on every drive I've checked. Not to mention it is able to read discs that are 7 years old and burnt on a crappy burner that couldn't even read the discs it wrote some of the time.
tongue.gif

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
General rules for good burns:

Older burner/older firmware: try burns at 4x and 8x and see what works best with your burner and media, it's hard to say. The main problems with older burners are not supporting faster burn speeds and not knowing burn strategies for newer media codes. If your burner is really old and really shitty you may need to burn at 2.4x, but if that's the case you should be looking into getting a new burner.

Newer burner: in general, you will get a poor burn if you burn slower than half the rated speed of the media. Do not burn 16x media under 8x unless you have a very good reason for doing so. For 8x media, try 4x and 8x. For 16x media, try 8x, 12x and 16x and see what produces the best result, but any of those speeds should produce a decent result.

Test your burns with DVDInfoPro or Nero CD-DVD Speed/Nero DiscSpeed to find out in excruciating detail just how good (or bad - quality score of '0' is not a good thing
wink.gif
) they are.

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
first of all a SLOW burn can be a coaster just as likely as a faster speed burn

as long as you DVDR drive is capable (update all FW for your drives) you should burn at the speed listed on the disc itself.
if you get problems THEN start lowering speed. i use 16x verbs and 8x imation discs, always burning at the disc speed.

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
Sharpz said:
Tanas said:
Burn as fast as possible.

Uh ,NO! As I said it depends.I'd say nothing over 8x.Burn faster than 8x and you will most definitely have to re-burn it because of a bad burn.
Oh really? Is that an absolute FACT?

80+ games burnt on 16x media at 18x that ALL work FINE on my Wii say otherwise.

Nera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Uum, I would say 8x because I burned Guitar hero aerosmith on 4x and the game froze at a certain point in the game, then i burned it again at 8x and it didn't froze at that point(i tried the song 3times on the 4x and at the same point it froze...)

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Everyone has their own opinion on this. If you had SEARCHED you would have found all the other threads with the exact same answers!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...