How easy would it be to make a romhack patch of Pokemon Emerald?

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by discodance77, Sep 1, 2016.

1. discodance77
    OP

discodance77 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2015
    Canada
    So I was wanting to create a definitive Pokemon Emerald patch for personal use, just to add a few more pokemon to the Hoenn Dex and dialogue changes. Most Emerald hacks are 386 or otherwise over-the-top. I've never made a patch/hack ever before and have absolutely no experience, but Pokemon Emerald was my first ever video game so I want to do it Justice.

Here's what I want to do:
    -Expand the Hoenn Dex (or simply national dex from beginning)
    -wild location changes
    -changes to moves (pp, bp and acc)
    -physical/special split
    -TM changes (change, say, TM49 snatch for Hydro Pump)
    -Dialogue/text changes
    -some stationary pokemon
    -some gift Pokemon
    -giving some Pokemon new abilities
    -changing evolution methods/levels
    -moveset/learnset changes
    -trainer roster changes
    -Pokemart item changes
    -minor scripting (to add more rival battles with Wally and May/Brendan and possibly Scott and Steven?)
    -adding some grass and stuff, new small areas
    -changing in-game trades
    -adding item balls around the overworld
    -adding additional trainers here and there
    -certain infinitely rebattle-able trainers (by talking to them)

Obviously that seems like a lot of stuff but I'm also going to try and preserve the original feel of Emerald. This is mostly only for myself, but if I feel the hack is quality, I'll share the patch for it
    Having absolutely no knowledge of pokemon romhacking (even what tools/applications to use) can someone help me out or point me in the right direction?

Last edited by discodance77, Sep 1, 2016
  2. cros107

cros107 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2016
    XDelta. Works for everything. Never went in depth into Pokemon hacking, so there might be some sort of Pokemon gen 3 specific patch, but if not, XDelta is the way to go.