How does USB LAN work on the Nintendo Switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    So while it's a wired internet connection directly on the Switch, it's still wireless.. right? Is it, in other words, a hotspot connection?

2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    prob because i only still get wireless speeds 20 Mbps everytime i run a connection test in the menu it never goes above 23 Mbps sometimes most of the time it's only around 13-15 Mbps. :glare:

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Mar 29, 2017
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    What? That doesn't make any sense.
    It's wired directly from the Switch to the router. No hotspots involved.
    Anyway, as of right now the USB 3 port on the Switch isn't enabled, so you can't get 1Gbps wired. But you should still be able to get a respectable 480Mbps as long as you use a 1Gbps adapter. Can't confirm though as i don't have a USB LAN adapter.

VinLark likes this.
  4. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    The USB LAN connects to the Switch Dock but the Switch itself can be removed from the Switch Dock so what kind of connection is it? That's what I just wanna know. I'm curious about this tidbit.

5. OneUp

OneUp GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2008
    United States
    USB adapter is wired through the USB-C in the dock - not wireless. (Same as normal USB connection, just different plug) Unless you have blazing fast internet, you're not likely to see a great difference in speed between wired/wireless. What wired is better for is consistency in most cases. Wireless is prone to interference and has higher latency (different from speed). You may need to shut down the console completely by holding the power button then turn it on with the adapter plugged in if you are only getting wireless.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  6. RyleWeststar

RyleWeststar Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2017
    When the Switch is in the dock, it is connected to all the devices connected to the Dock through the USB-C interface on the Switch. Once you remove the Switch, the connection to the dock through the USB-C inteface is lost and so there is no more connection to the dock and any devices connected to it.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  7. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Thanks guys. I'm not so much concerned about the speed but the wired-ish aspect of it.

8. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    I have already proven that the Switches AC wireless adapter is capable of 700+Mbps in another thread. You are only seeing 20Mbps because the connection test only downloads a 30MB file and it does not have enough time to reach more than 20 or so Mbps. Also when downloading digital games, Nintendo throttles the connection at the server itself to around 50Mbps.

9. Bladexdsl
    This message by Bladexdsl has been removed from public view by Issac, Mar 29, 2017, Reason: Bickering.
    Mar 29, 2017
  10. RyleWeststar
    This message by RyleWeststar has been removed from public view by Issac, Mar 29, 2017, Reason: Bickering.
    Mar 29, 2017
  11. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Wu-Wei

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Finding that out myself.
    Also the good part is that many different USB LAN adapters will work for the switch, including that cheap Ugreen adapter up on amazon and ebay, so don't spend $30+ for the Nintendo Licensed LAN Adapter.
    My personal preference is a WiFi Repeater I got for $20, it will prove useful later on for me too. :)

12. Mr. Wizard
    This message by Mr. Wizard has been removed from public view by Issac, Mar 29, 2017, Reason: Bickering.
    Mar 29, 2017
  13. Bladexdsl
    This message by Bladexdsl has been removed from public view by Issac, Mar 29, 2017, Reason: Enough!.
    Mar 29, 2017
  14. Mr. Wizard
    This message by Mr. Wizard has been removed from public view by Issac, Mar 29, 2017, Reason: Bickering.
    Mar 29, 2017
  15. Bladexdsl
    This message by Bladexdsl has been removed from public view by Issac, Mar 29, 2017, Reason: Bickering.
    Mar 29, 2017
  16. Mr. Wizard
    Mar 29, 2017
  17. Bladexdsl
    Mar 29, 2017
  18. RyleWeststar
    This message by RyleWeststar has been removed from public view by Issac, Mar 29, 2017, Reason: Bickering.
    Mar 29, 2017
  19. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    my moshi adapter doesn't work

20. Bladexdsl
    Mar 29, 2017
  21. Mr. Wizard

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Oh is that what this is all about?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-wifi-lan-speed-test-89mb-s-712-mbps.465595/#post-7200095

I just pointed you toward a guide, how is that my fault? That's like saying it's my fault you brick your 3DS from following guides on here lol!

And like RyleWeststar said, this is neither the time or place, if you have something to say to me PM me, don't ruin everyone else's day just to increase your post count.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard, Mar 29, 2017
  22. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    As far as I can tell it hotswaps. If you pull it out it will be wireless but when docked wired. I still have to buy a new wired lan because my Wii U one works like shit on the switch for some reason.