Hacking Question How does the atmosphere CFW work in sysNAND

duren13a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not a big fan of emuNAND. I used to run SXOS CFW in sysNAND all the time. And I try to do the same thing with Atmosphere, I'm having more trouble than I thought. I feel like I'm using exactly the original firmware with hbmenu.

My questions are Can I use Atmosphere to install games and run them in sysNAND? Is the emuNAND necessary for Atmosphere? (old console)

I'm currently unable to test it myself. (I linked a Nintendo account years ago and duo to that all the games I installed in Atmosphere need a online verification, a problem I never had with SXOS. And I can't unlink it because my system is banned. I have to factory reset it and there is no point to emuNANDing my 12.0.0FW right now. So I just gona wait for the CFW update.)

Last edited by duren13a,

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Is the emuNAND necessary for Atmosphere?
It is recommended to use one. Just because your system is banned doesn't mean that emuMMC should no longer be used. Normally the emuMMC is used to avoid bans. Furthermore, in case of a brick, the emuMMC can be easily recreated and the actual system will not be damaged. And you can remove your NNID from the banned system. Just write to Nintendo via email.

Reactions: Tokiwa

Tokiwa

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not necessary but i highly recommend, you should not see much difference (or at all) compared to sysnand while playing games or using homebrew and it's one extra layer of protection for bricks. Sure you "should" be safe as long you have a nand backup but i personally think it's better to re-create the emunand than restore backups imo.

Once you set it up you don't have to do anything at all, just push fusee and it's business as usual.

You can unlink your account with Goldleaf and set up a fake one with Linkalho:

https://github.com/XorTroll/Goldleaf/

https://github.com/rdmrocha/linkalho/

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a big fan of emuNAND. I used to run SXOS CFW in sysNAND all the time. And I try to do the same thing with Atmosphere, I'm having more trouble than I thought. I feel like I'm using exactly the original firmware with hbmenu.

My questions are Can I use Atmosphere to install games and run them in sysNAND? Is the emuNAND necessary for Atmosphere? (old console)

I'm currently unable to test it myself. (I linked a Nintendo account years ago and duo to that all the games I installed in Atmosphere need a online verification, a problem I never had with SXOS. And I can't unlink it because my system is banned. I have to factory reset it and there is no point to emuNANDing my 12.0.0FW right now. So I just gona wait for the CFW update.)
The purpose of emuMMC is to run firmware versions higher than sysMMC or serve as a brick shield. Its not primarily meant for installing games. After all, Atmosphere was around for at least a year before emuMMC was implemented so of course we had to do everything in sysMMC.

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am wondering the same thing. Currently using SXOS without emuNAND. I always restore a backup before I update the firmware and create a new backup straight after. I never go online with my Switch (only to update my firmware) and flight mode is always enabled. Only thing I do with the Switch is play some games and restore save games.

Been looking into using Atmosphere since SXOS is not (yet) updated, but I always wonder why I should use emuNAND if I have correct backups.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am wondering the same thing. Currently using SXOS without emuNAND. I always restore a backup before I update the firmware and create a new backup straight after. I never go online with my Switch (only to update my firmware) and flight mode is always enabled. Only thing I do with the Switch is play some games and restore save games.

Been looking into using Atmosphere since SXOS is not (yet) updated, but I always wonder why I should use emuNAND if I have correct backups.
emuMMC serves multiple purposes. One is to act as a brick shield for potentially malicious files. Another is to allow you to enjoy being on a higher firmware without updating the real firmware of your console. Lastly, some people use it to run CFW and homebrew in order to keep their sysMMC clean for online usage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, hey thats my line +1