How do you make sb stop smoking at home?

UltraDolphinRevolution

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Let's say the person is stubborn and you don't want to use violence.

Any suggestions?

Originally I tried to make this person stop for his own sake but now I just don't want to be effected. Toxins stay inside the home in clothes, furniture and even walls. He thinks airing the room is enough but it still effects the other household members.

Reiten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
From what I get from your post, the person you are talking about doesn't want to quit smoking, so there might not be a peaceful solution to the problem.

One way to go about this is to set a no smoking in the house rule. If he breaks it he gets thrown out. If throwing the person out isn't an option, then think of some kind of penalty, for example 5 bucks in a jar every time he smokes in the house, or the lose of some kind of privilege(watching the or something).

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
me and my family don't smoke, but we have a couple of neighbours do, but they are so civil and educated that they always smoke outside on balcony, i think topic creator need to drill the sense of civility into that person's brain to make him/her to smoke outside of living place.

matthi321

Trophies
XP
Country
do you own the house? if yes then call the police, if no start finding a new place to live cus theres nothing you can do to make him stop then

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I see TC has china flag under his avatar, so if that person is your family member and you don't have greater influence over him/her, then you should change the way to approach:

-ask him/her to quit smoking and you in exchange give up one of ur habit which he/she doesn't like.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Buy a smoke alarm, disable the onboard alarm.
Buy an air horn, possibly a stink bomb instead if you fancy getting a bit creative.

Wire them up together, preferably where the air horn can't be destroyed and away from the smoke alarm/detector.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what the acronym "sb" stands for.

It all comes down to who has the authority to make rules in the house. If that person is you, it's that simple. Make a rule of no smoking in the house, he can either abide by it or find somewhere else to live. That's not fair for you to have to deal with the aftermath of his addiction.

If someone else owns the home, you have to work through them. Get them to agree to add a no smoking rule. If they do, great. If not, there's not much you can do aside from moving out.

If he owns the home, then he has every right to smoke in it. Move elsewhere.

And this is coming from a person who absolutely hates smoking. My mom used to smoke in the car constantly, and I always had to deal with the smell of her cigarette smoke. I absolutely hated it. Other arguments have arisen since then, and now I'm estranged from her. I think the one good thing I can say about everything is that because of how much I always hated being around her cigarette smoke, I've never been tempted to try smoking, not even once.

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I, too, live with people that for the life of them refuse to smoke outside and tell me to "get over it". Worse is they spray a bullshit aerosol can of "smoke eliminator" which somehow makes all the toxic bullshit go away (when really they're adding to it.) My condolences.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Want a decent measure? Use Fast's above with the alarm thing. Want an over-the-top method? Hide all electronics and install sprinklers that go off when there's smoke throughout the house, if that doesn't make them stop smoking, doubt anything else will:P

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Buy a smoke alarm, disable the onboard alarm.
Buy an air horn, possibly a stink bomb instead if you fancy getting a bit creative.

Wire them up together, preferably where the air horn can't be destroyed and away from the smoke alarm/detector.
Smoking normally doesn't cause smoke alarms to go off.

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I smoked for a little over 37 years. Went to my local no smoking clinic and they gave me a letter to give to my GP requesting a prescription for something called Champix. After 8 days of taking the Champix I smoked my last cigarette. Didn't feel the need to use vapes, gum or patches after as the Champix course was for 3-4 months. It even stopped me smoking joints and ultimately all cannabis use via any method. It's nice to be free from it and my health has definitely improved since I quit over a year and a half ago.

It doesn't matter if you get help or not, the only way to quit is if you want to like I did.

Last edited by ILuvGames,
Reactions: Quantumcat

MachRc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
help him quit, explain to him that all that smoking does nothing but killing him.

Offer him some marijuana instead. Explain to him that marijuana is the best premium thing you can smoke. And unlike tobacco, it DOES something to you other than killing you.

Hopefully once he is awoke, and learns the universal truth that tobacco smells bad and all it does is kill, he can sit down and smoke marijuana with you instead of the deadly cigarette

you can also try to make him use a vape.

If all fails,

I would raise hell until he is so many feet/meteres away.

I smoked cigarettes when I was young and it was cool to go to the balcony and smoke when the party moved outside..

I made it cooler to stay inside

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries