How do you like your coffee?

leafeon34 Jan 20, 2019.

1. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    4 AUD ? Wow, expensive. In America is expensive too. In Portugal, only under 1 euro for a real brew coffee. They make a real coffee. Very tasty and cheap price! Only under 1 euro.

Sugar is not good for you. I always drank decaf coffee with sugar in it. I decided to quit and try without it. I hate it. A decaf is less bitterness than Caffeine but I keep try and finally my tongue started to adjust and drink decaf without a sugar in it every since. :) Never sugar anymore. Yay. Very health.

alexander1970 likes this.
  2. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    I like medium-dark to dark roasts with a single half & half creamer and no sweetener. I'll drink it black if only cheap or flavored creamers are available.

3. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Yeah I know, in Portugal, Spain and Italy you can get very good coffee for 1€ perhaps.
    Here in Germany you go to your standard coffee shop and you will get horrible coffee that tastes like they burned it for some 3 to 4€.
    If you want good coffee you have to really go looking around for one of those pretentious Hipster coffee places (the ambiance really puts you down with all the pretentious shit), but they have good coffee... again for some 4€+.

Regarding coffee, South Europeans are lucky.

4. RattletraPM

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    Unless you live in Venice. If that's your case, you won't even get to feel the smell of a good coffee unless you're filthy rich.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

5. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Perhaps... perhaps I also am used already to drinking shit coffee most of the time I go out to a coffee shop here in Germany, but last time I was in the South (Palermo), I got very good coffee for 1€ (again... in comparison).

alexander1970 and RattletraPM like this.
  6. RattletraPM

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Reporter
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    Yup, I was half-joking with that because Venice has always been known to be crazy expensive but it's mostly an isolated case. Otherwise the price of a cup of coffee is pretty much the same anywhere else, unless you're deliberately going to a high-class caffetteria or something :P

Still, if you went to the south then you've been especially lucky, they brew some top notch caffè there! ;)

alexander1970 and sarkwalvein like this.
  7. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    What about outside of tourist area ? A local ?? In Portugal, tourist area about 2.50 euro. Outside of tourist area -- a local is always under 1 euro. :)

8. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Not sure, regarding Portugal I've mostly heard of the good cheap coffee from people from Spain and Portugal.
    I myself have been multiple times in Spain and Italy, but not in Portugal.
    (Yeah, I should visit Portugal some time... but not in Summer, South Europe is a PITA in summer, I remember melting down in Madrid and Palermo)

In Spain I think I don't really move like a tourist, not really. In Italy probably a little, but still I got great coffee for 1€.

Now, regarding Germany...
    I live in Germany since 7 years ago, the places I go are not tourist areas, the shitty coffee at expensive prices is the one a local gets.
    If you go to tourists areas expect coffee to be probably more expensive and still shitty.

PS: My suggestion, don't visit Germany for the coffee. Just come here for the beer and sausages. (and in that regard, don't expect good food either because it just does not exist, the beer is good though)

alexander1970 and azoreseuropa like this.
  9. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    I understand. You should visit Portugal.

By the way, where were you before you moved to Germany ?

By the way, I hope one day I will visit Germany. Love Europe. Its in my blood. No worries.. I always go to my country and Europe for the beers and wine, lol. I am not into sausages.. Too greasy but thanks. ;)

10. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I am originally from Argentina, though I have Spanish dual citizenship due to my mother being from Spain... and that makes staying here easier really.

11. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    That's cool! Hope you enjoy your staying for 7 years in Germany. Do you speak Germany very well ? I bet there are several McDonald's and Burger King, no ?

12. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    There are many McDonalds and Burger Kings, but if you ask me I would say the most popular junk food here is Döner Kebab, by far. You could probably find a Döner place on every corner.

Regarding German... I wouldn't say I speak it very well (I am starting to believe I will never speak it like a native, I think I kind of sound like an idiot when I speak), but I do speak it good enough I guess, just like your average Joe that forgets all the time that verbs go at the end of a Nebensatz and keeps using the English/Spanish verb order.

13. ginger_man

ginger_man Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2019
    United States
    I can't stand plain coffee without milk and do not make coffee at home. I usually visit a coffee shop and order some Latte.
    Coffee is kind of lottery for me. I may get some energy after drinking it or vice versa feel totally sleepy.

14. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Cool. Never heard of Döner and is it better than McDonals and Burger Kings ? LOL!

Do you have family in Germany or your family in Spain nor Argentina ? Curiosity. And what made you want to live in Germany instead of Spain (your mom)?

15. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Doner Kebab is great, but it's probably like 50% fat.

16. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I have family in Spain and Argentina, but not in Germany. Here I have a couple of friends and not much more.

As to why I decided to stay in Germany instead of Spain, I would say work: it's easier to find well paid work and move forward in my field here... but I admit I feel much more at home in Spain, that's perhaps the reason I go on holidays there so often.

PS: super derail.

17. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    I understand. Well, enjoy your staying in Germany. And Spain. Cheers.

alexander1970 and sarkwalvein like this.
  18. Nova6677

Nova6677 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2019
    United States
    I can relate to this, although i only drink black coffee on the second Thursday of March.
    Every other day i just drink a dark roast with a bit of sugar.

alexander1970 and MrCokeacola like this.
  19. mariopepper

mariopepper Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2018
    Ukraine
    always with milk. I hate black coffee without nothing

20. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    When i drink coffee i like it
    with milk (hot and foamy) and sugar and not to "heavy".:)

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted