How do you hack roms??????

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by madstarr, Jun 14, 2007.

Jun 14, 2007

How do you hack roms?????? by madstarr at 2:52 AM (955 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. madstarr
    OP

Newcomer madstarr Advanced Member

United States
    everyone in the rom hacking forum has been ignored, and if i don't post a new post, they would forget it forever. so, can anyone help me at all on how to hack roms, what to use, and how to use them step by step?

2. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    hex editor or dissamble it...

3. ImperialX

Member ImperialX GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    What are your purposes? It's really not that easy. In fact, it's extremely difficult.

4. bunsy

Newcomer bunsy Advanced Member

Sweden
    Hi, i haven't done any searching at all on the subject but i'll go ahead and ask a generic question in a demanding tone. Also, i want step-by-step instructions to achieve my vague goal i haven't really described nor given much thought. If you don't provide this you're an asshole.

5. dbgtdob

Member dbgtdob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    if you dont know programming, its extremely difficult i have read your post and you are asking about adding tuff into roms and that is extremely hard.

6. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    your nice! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. dbgtdob

Member dbgtdob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    he wants to hack mario kart ds and make his own tracks and put them in................................ he made like 10 threads in the hacking section.

8. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    I always wanted to hack sonic advance 2 into a metroid game, atleast just change the sprites... still, I don't even know how to do that.
    I'm just saying this incase someone does know, and goes and does it [​IMG]

9. TPi

Former Staff TPi One Tired Raccoon

Canada
    maybe he should see that no one knows what to do or is interested in helping after the first...1?

10. Sonicandtails

Member Sonicandtails GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's not difficult. I have lived in a ROM Hacking community (Acmlm's Board) since 2003 and trust me it's simple.
    For starters, I suggest going to acmlm.no-ip.org/board/ and asking questions there. The place is filled with very experienced ROM hackers, and they will gladly help you out.

If you don't want to go there, I suggest learning hexadecimal and how it works, then pick up a hex editor (translhextion will do) and then getting a sprite map viewer program such as Tile Layer Pro or YY-CHR (Steer clear of Tile Molester, it really isn't as great as most people make it out to be).

Then, if you want to start finding data, get a program like Corrupster and start corrupting the ROMs taking notes of what changes in certain hexadecimal ranges.

I can go on, but like I said, just go to the said link for help.

11. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    ROM hackers can be the biggest drama fags about the dumbest things. They're up there with fansubbers.

romhacking.net has some good info iirc

12. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There is plenty of info if you are willing to look, while I would agree with Heran Bago on the drama aspect there does not seem to be much if any on the 'temp.

Oh and for the record I answered your question about 20 minutes after you posted it, granted I did not have a do this, do that and there you go but as anyone who knows will tell this is not that sort of hobby:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=52350&hl=

If you want to learn about general rom hacking can I suggest you read the old snes and nes docs over at
    http://www.romhacking.net/ and acclms board.
    I you want to learn about GBA and DS it gets a bit more difficult as it is too close to piracy, however this very forum has a lot of useful info. If you are interested have a read of various threads and this guide I am in the process of writing:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/3636881/1f5f088d/rom101.html
    Deufeufeu was writing a guide as well:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=48204&hl=

@Sonicandtails rom corruption right off the bat?