• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

How do you feel about abortion?

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless the mother's life is in peril, I think all abortion is wrong. This includes babies from rape. Some will disagree, but just how it was wrong and unfair for the woman to be attacked, it is wrong and unfair to end someone's life who had nothing to do with the situation
A disagree that abortion is wrong, but I totally agree with your logic here. If I thought abortion was wrong, I would probably also have that exact same opinion.

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok first: wtf guys. some of you need to take a step back and look at what the fuck you just typed.

Now, for my thoughts on the matter: Anyone who thinks outlawing abortions is a good idea is kidding themselves. Desperate and scared girls will and have resorted to deadly alternatives when safe abortions were not available.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it should be their choice, when people abort a child the kids are still at a developmental point where they aren't actually able to think, so it's like removing a parasite i guess
Why do people say that? Yes, they do think, they are learning, after they develop into a fetus they are already thinking and learning. They are learning how to breathe and other vital stuff. That's why newborns somewhat remember what the womb was like, and they enjoy white noise, and according to some scientists playing music for your developing human life increases the size of the hippocampus and essentially makes them smarter.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There's also something else no one brought up yet.

Now keep in mind this is not my opinion and does not reflect what I think or how I feel.

Some people who are in a bad life situation (for example being extremely poor and not even having a place to live) might think that the (potential) child might be better off dead than living like that.

EDIT: In case it's not clear, I am not talking about killing said child after it is born. I meant aborting for that reason.
Adoption? And you are literally saying death is better than life, no matter how terrible. Depriving a 1-in-a-million chance of living a life.

Last edited by aykay55,
Reactions: Glyptofane

Thanatophobia

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
thanatophobia66.livejournal.com
XP
Country
United States
This question is a tough one for me to answer...

I do consider an unborn fetus to be a living person, and I do believe that abortions is murder. I think that if a couple had consensual sexual intercourse that led to a normal pregnancy, regardless if the pregnancy was unplanned or if they weren't ready to have children, I don't think they should abort. If they didn't wanted to have kids, they should've been prepared in the first place. If they were irresponsible when they were having sex, then they should deal with the responsibility of having a kid. And I think it's selfish for that fact.

However, I do believe that a mother's life is more important than the fetus. If a pregnancy, for example an ectopic pregnancy, threatens the life of the mother, then I believe that abortion should be justified for the mother's well being. I also feel that is an infant is to be born with defect that are so severe it would cause more suffering if it was born then I think abortion should be justified.

I have mixed opinions with aborting pregnancies that resulted from unconsensual sex (rape), incest or between an adult and a child. One side of me says that the mother has the right to abort the baby because she didn't consent to the pregnancy and that the baby might end up being a reminder of that rape, but then I think that it's not the child's fault and that if the pregnancy isn't endangering the mother's life she should've kept it. I think in this situation, adoption is best.

And even though I am against abortion in most situations, I do believe that abortion should remain legal, not because I support babies being unnecessarily killed off, but because at least from the mother's part it is much safer. If it was illegal, there would still be abortions but would often involve methods that can cause complications on the mother's part.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume you are joking right because I feel you should at least still have the baby and put it up for adoption

I am adopted and when I met my biological mother she was a tab over weight, which made me feel very sad for her and I wish that she'd just aborted me so that she did not have to sacrifice her figure.

Also, have you seen how much aborted babies go for on the black market?!?!?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Abstinence=best birth control

Imo you should only have sex with the intent to make a child, but you know not everyone may agree with me.
Curious, but how old are you?

Adoption? And you are literally saying death is better than life, no matter how terrible. Depriving a 1-in-a-million chance of living a life.
If more people actually adopted children (and not just "non-problem" children), that might be a viable option.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The problem is not abortion, it is unwanted pregnancy. Plain and simple. Focusing solely on the banning or allowing of abortions completely misses the root of a problem which is that a baby is being made that is unwanted. Instead of outright banning abortions, it's best to eliminate the causes of unwanted pregnancies so that abortions never become an issue. That means proper sex education, genetic screening, support networks, and trustworthy adoption services; if it comes to that.

I should note that the places with the highest number of abortions are also usually areas with little to no proper sex/prevention education and more limited medical and social assistance.

Once we prevent the conceiving of as many unwanted babies as possible and find ways to make the rest wanted, then we will only be left with a few cases of extenuating circumstances - such as medical situations where a fetus is found to be nonviable or birth will be lethal to the mother. Then we can focus on those individual cases and come up with an objective decision.

Curious, but how old are you?
According to his bio, 13. His libido will soon run over him like a steamroller.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is not abortion, it is unwanted pregnancy. Plain and simple. Focusing solely on the banning or allowing of abortions completely misses the root of a problem which is that a baby is being made that is unwanted. Instead of outright banning abortions, it's best to eliminate the causes of unwanted pregnancies so that abortions never become an issue. That means proper sex education, genetic screening, support networks, and trustworthy adoption services; if it comes to that.

I should note that the places with the highest number of abortions are also usually areas with little to no proper sex/prevention education and more limited medical and social assistance.

Once we prevent the conceiving of as many unwanted babies as possible and find ways to make the rest wanted, then we will only be left with a few cases of extenuating circumstances - such as medical situations where a fetus is found to be nonviable or birth will be lethal to the mother. Then we can focus on those individual cases and come up with an objective decision.
ThAnK yOu

Although you forgot "easy and affordable access to birth control"
According to his bio, 13. His libido will soon run over him like a steamroller.
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. The only people, in my experience anyway, that say "abstinence is the best form of birth control" are either underage or hypocrites

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,
Reactions: JellyPerson

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ThAnK yOu

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. The only people, in my experience anyway, that say "abstinence is the best form of birth control" are either underage or hypocrites
It's like saying the best way to lose weight is to not eat. While technically true, it's not exactly practical.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just thought of a metaphor for my line of thinking.

Here's the thing, NOBODY wants an abortion. No little girl plays with her Barbie doll with it's clothes its house... and it's coathanger. Abortions are always a traumatic event that everyone (except for a few sickos) would have preferred to avoid, but feel they can't.

Imagine you have a dog, and your dog pukes on your carpet all the time. You have three choices how to deal with it.

1. Ignore it, and let your dog puke on the carpet all the time.
2. Severely punish your dog for puking, and clamp it's mouth shut if you catch it trying.
3. Find out why your dog is puking, and make changes such as switching out his food or training him not to eat random crap off the floor.

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Complicated. An abortion IS a human life being ended, and it doesn't matter if the fetus is viable yet or not. But for the abortion, the potential is there for a person to live a full life. Not calling that intervention the ending of a life is like pretending you didn't waste a cake when you take it out of the oven when it just started baking and just dump it in the garbage instead.

But, it's none of the government's business. The government shouldn't involve itself in charging anyone who has or performs an abortion with a crime, at least not if the abortion is done in compliance with Roe and Casey. Nor should the government be subsidizing the procedure (that does happen though, through funding Planned Parenthood and direct payment for the procedure via Medicaid in some states).

It gets more difficult when the father's rights wrt: abortion are considered. Basically, he has none. If the mother decides to have an abortion, he can't stop it. If she refuses to have an abortion, he can't force it. But either way, his life is affected in a major way. Either the child he wanted is terminated, or the child he didn't want becomes his financial liability for 18 years. It's easy to say, 'her body, her choice,' but her choice affects more lives than just her own. The law gives a pregnant woman a way out if she wants it. The 'pregnant man' is helpless.

Fortunately I've never had to confront the issue in my personal life. Anyone who thinks it's a simple issue hasn't really thought about it much.

Of course it is the government's business. The United States was founded on the principle of inalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Abortion is ending a life; therefore, it is the government's responsibility.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course it is the government's business. The United States was founded on the principle of inalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Abortion is ending a life; therefore, it is the government's responsibility.
It's not ending a life so much as preventing one from happening

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am pro life, but my pain in the ass children are getting me to reevaluate my stance.

Lol. I tell that to my kids when they are pissing me off.
You understand that that isn't how it works, correct? I mean I know that this is clearly satire, but I hope you understand you're misrepresenting the issue

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
You understand that that isn't how it works, correct? I mean I know that this is clearly satire, but I hope you understand you're misrepresenting the issue
Lol. I know. I didnt want to go full out detailing my belief on the subject typing from my phone.

I like saying semi cruel things to my kids, in a joking type manner. Like i said to them the other day "have i told you guys that i love you today? Yeah, well think about that for a bit".

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people say that? Yes, they do think, they are learning, after they develop into a fetus they are already thinking and learning. They are learning how to breathe and other vital stuff. That's why newborns somewhat remember what the womb was like, and they enjoy white noise, and according to some scientists playing music for your developing human life increases the size of the hippocampus and essentially makes them smarter.

Yeah, but fetuses can't feel pain, hear, or have a connection from their brain to their body until around 26 weeks, and babies are not allowed to be aborted past 24 weeks in most states in the US because of this. If they can't even think or comprehend anything at the time they're aborted, what makes the baby different from a lump of cells?

JellyPerson

https://discord.gg/BMVma8j
Banned
Trophies
Website
https.htp
XP
Country
Korea, North
TBH I don't understand why people are saying it's ok to kill it early because it's just a bunch of cells

It turns into a human later though.
I was joking earlier with abstinence, it's ok to have protected sex
But I am against abortion.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH I don't understand why people are saying it's ok to kill it early because it's just a bunch of cells

It turns into a human later though.
I was joking earlier with abstinence, it's ok to have protected sex
But I am against abortion.
This is the whole point - to destroy the cells before it turns into a human. Not too different from using barrier protection - to stop the sperm from uniting with the egg so that they cannot form a human. The sperm then die in the condom and the egg is expelled via menstruation. They are just cells at this point so no one is too upset.

However religious people have picked up on this - this is why the Catholic Church also condemns condoms and masturbation. Because essentially they are also killing "potential humans".

Look there's a big difference between "can become human" and human. And that's why we think it's better to abort early.

50% of all pregnancies undergo spontaneous abortion by the mother anyhow - the human body itself seems to recognize that early embryos are not very important, and kills any with major defects (like triploidy).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.