Hacking How do I update my Emunand to the latest firmware?

• Thread starter Deleted-401606
  • Start date
  • Views 17,299
  • Replies 53

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really, you are just trying to paint yourself like an innocent victim. You recommended the guide and you are telling me that it's my fault that my sysnand is banned
  1. Everything you do to your Switch is your fault.
  2. Nothing bad was done to your Switch (see above).
  3. Your sysNAND isn't banned, is it?

The reality is that no user would in any circumstance want their sysnand banned. You recommended the guide and I took your advice, for that it is my fault for trusting you. You are saying now that my sysnand isn't dirty because it makes you look bad that you gave me terrible advice.
  1. No one has been banned for Fake News.
  2. Your NAND is not dirty.
  3. Fake News can be removed.
  4. Following the guide was not bad advice.

Trying to compare this to a malicious NSP file is laughable, I followed your advice and ended up with a potentially dirty sysnand
It's a reasonable analogy. If you had followed the guide I recommended, and if it had told you to install NSP files, dirtying your NAND would be your fault. However, as I've already stated numerous times, your NAND isn't dirty, but I would remove Fake News before getting online. That was my point.

I understand that you lack the mental fortitude
I said earlier in our private messages that I couldn't tell if you were a troll or if you were legitimately upset and confused due to you misunderstanding the situation. I have my answer.

I installed fake news because you told me to install fake news
  1. I didn't explicitly tell you to install Fake News. The guide I recommended told you to. There's a difference.
  2. Installing Fake News is good advice if you're using your sysNAND to use the warmboot browser exploit.
  3. Fake News can be removed (which I recommend doing before connecting to the internet for online play).
  4. Fake News doesn't dirty the NAND, but see above for my advice.

If it is my fault for thinking a member of the community had my best interest in mind, then yes it is my fault. In this situation I think a non biased party can see that you did indeed recommend a guide in which it tells you to install newsflash before backing up your nand. I could quote the response in which you do so if you would like.
  1. I had/have your best interest in mind.
  2. Regardless, anything you do to your Switch comes down to you.
  3. I recommended a guide that told you to install Fake News. It is recommended if you're going to use the warmboot browser exploit.
  4. My personal recommendation is to remove Fake News before using online play.
  5. If you don't remove Fake News, you probably won't be banned. It doesn't look like anyone has been banned for it before.

You haven't pointed out one mistake I made here besides following your advice, you keep lying saying that I didn't listen to you but the thread tells a different story. I did follow your advice to a fault, thus I am in this situation.
You've made quite a few mistakes over the past few days. Off the top of my head:
  1. You ordered a USB-C cable for the warmboot exploit because you didn't look at the materials list.
  2. You made a new thread and asked a question about how to use the warmboot browser exploit after I told you what to do and which guide to follow, apparently because you didn't read my post.
  3. You are mistakenly claiming your sysNAND is irreparably dirty or that there's anything wrong with your Switch.
  4. You are mistakenly claiming that your sysNAND is banned.
  5. You are mistakenly claiming that anything you do to your Switch is anyone's fault but your own.
  6. You are mistakenly claiming that, as a part of some political retribution, I intentionally caused you to sabotage your own Switch.
  7. You are mistakenly claiming that you haven't made any mistakes.
I did follow your advice, I followed this guide that you linked on a seperate thread. I am not fine even though I did follow your advice.

https://switch.homebrew.guide/hacking/caffeine/pegascape

You told me that I would be fine if I followed your advice, why are you trying to lie and say that I did not follow your advice? How about you own up to your mistakes like a real man instead of pretending like I disregarded your advice?
  1. Your Switch is fine.
  2. Fake News doesn't dirty your Switch, although I'd remove it before getting online.
  3. You will be fine if you follow my advice.
  4. I didn't say you did not follow my advice. I said you're ignoring my posts, and you've done so before.
I think most people would agree that I've been more than patient. You should expect few, if any, responses from me after this, particularly if I would only be repeating myself.

Like said earlier, no one has been banned for fakenews
Fake News can also be removed.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Everything you do to your Switch is your fault.
  2. Nothing bad was done to your Switch (see above).
  3. Your sysNAND isn't banned, is it?

1. No one has been banned for Fake News.
  2. Your NAND is not dirty.
  3. Fake News can be removed.
  4. Following the guide was not bad advice.

It's a reasonable analogy. If you had followed the guide I recommended, and if it had told you to install NSP files, dirtying your NAND would be your fault. However, as I've already stated numerous times, your NAND isn't dirty, but I would remove Fake News before getting online. That was my point.

I said earlier in our private messages that I couldn't tell if you were a troll or if you were legitimately upset and confused due to you misunderstanding the situation. I have my answer.

1. I didn't explicitly tell you to install Fake News. The guide I recommended told you to. There's a difference.
  2. Installing Fake News is good advice if you're using your sysNAND to use the warmboot browser exploit.
  3. Fake News can be removed (which I recommend doing before connecting to the internet for online play).
  4. Fake News doesn't dirty the NAND, but see above for my advice.

1. I had/have your best interest in mind.
  2. Regardless, anything you do to your Switch comes down to you.
  3. I recommended a guide that told you to install Fake News. It is recommended if you're going to use the warmboot browser exploit.
  4. My personal recommendation is to remove Fake News before using online play.
  5. If you don't remove Fake News, you probably won't be banned. It doesn't look like anyone has been banned for it before.

You've made quite a few mistakes over the past few days. Off the top of my head:
  1. You ordered a USB-C cable for the warmboot exploit because you didn't look at the materials list.
  2. You made a new thread and asked a question about how to use the warmboot browser exploit after I told you what to do and which guide to follow, apparently because you didn't read my post.
  3. You are mistakenly claiming your sysNAND is irreparably dirty or that there's anything wrong with your Switch.
  4. You are mistakenly claiming that your sysNAND is banned.
  5. You are mistakenly claiming that anything you do to your Switch is anyone's fault but your own.
  6. You are mistakenly claiming that, as a part of some political retribution, I intentionally caused you to sabotage your own Switch.
  7. You are mistakenly claiming that you haven't made any mistakes.

1. Your Switch is fine.
  2. Fake News doesn't dirty your Switch, although I'd remove it before getting online.
  3. You will be fine if you follow my advice.
  4. I didn't say you did not follow my advice. I said you're ignoring my posts, and you've done so before.
I think most people would agree that I've been more than patient. You should expect few, if any, responses from me after this, particularly if I would only be repeating myself.

Fake News can also be removed.
I think your time is better spent making trainers :)

Reactions: gamesquest1

mrgames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Lacius - appreciate your advice, had personally decided to wait for the next update of emunand just in case - so that I can prevent a ban to the best degree. Though seems it's somewhat safe if used correctly.

Just have 3 questions:

1) In regards to to emunand, what's the point of having 2 emunands (one clean and one dirty) - is it to keep sysnand completely and utterly clean - devoid of any use other than backup?

2) After using 3ds CFW - I've developed the mentality that it's better to keep the sysnand on the lowest firmware - and using emunand instead (therefore likely having 2 emunands) - if I utilized the clean emunand for retail owned game online play - is this considered less clean than using sysnand for the same purpose?

3) My switch is on 3.00 and is completely clean - how do I go about installing emunand - all the while keeping my sysnand completely clean?

Last edited by mrgames,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) In regards to to emunand, what's the point of having 2 emunands (one clean and one dirty) - is it to keep sysnand completely and utterly clean - devoid of any use other than backup?
When I talk about "one clean NAND and one dirty NAND," that usually means a clean sysNAND and one dirty emuNAND (or reversed). There is no point in using two emuNANDs unless:
  1. You have an ipatched system and cannot update your sysNAND higher than 4.1.0.
  2. You want to keep your sysNAND low to avoid burning fuses, without the use of AutoRCM.

2) After using 3ds CFW - I've developed the mentality that it's better to keep the sysnand on the lowest firmware - and using emunand instead (therefore likely having 2 emunands) - if I utilized the clean emunand for retail owned game online play - is this considered less clean than using sysnand for the same purpose?
This is all a matter of personal preference.
  1. It is possible to downgrade the Switch as long as you keep your fuses from being burnt, so most people just care about keeping their fuse counts low. Because of this, a lot of people update the sysNAND but keep the fuse count low with AutoRCM.
  2. Some people don't like AutoRCM, so they keep the sysNAND low and use one (or two) emuNANDs.
  3. The only reason to keep the sysNAND and/or fuse count low is to be able to use future exploits (or the already released warmboot browser exploit). People who don't mind using the RCM exploit forever (or likely won't be getting future exploits depending on the system version they're on) sometimes don't care about preserving their fuse counts.
A clean sysNAND is, in theory, the cleanest you can possibly get. However, a clean emuNAND should still be relatively clean.

Regarding your specific situation, I'd recommend one of the following three options (if you plan on using online play):
  1. Use AutoRCM to keep your fuses from being burnt, update your clean sysNAND to 8.1.0 for online play, and use a dirty offline emuNAND on 8.1.0 for hacks.
  2. Keep your clean offline sysNAND on 3.0.0, use a clean emuNAND on 8.1.0 for online play, and use a dirty offline emuNAND on 8.1.0 for hacks.
  3. If you're content with using the RCM exploit and don't care about the warmboot browser exploit that's available to you (and you don't care about maybe getting an untethered coldboot exploit sometime in the far future), you can just update your clean sysNAND to 8.1.0 for online play, and you can use your dirty offline emuNAND on 8.1.0 for hacks.

3) My switch is on 3.00 and is completely clean - how do I go about installing emunand - all the while keeping my sysnand completely clean?
The simplest thing to remember about keeping your sysNAND clean is to never run hacks with it.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: mrgames

mrgames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I talk about "one clean NAND and one dirty NAND," that usually means a clean sysNAND and one dirty emuNAND (or reversed). There is no point in using two emuNANDs unless:
  1. You have an ipatched system and cannot update your sysNAND higher than 4.1.0.
  2. You want to keep your sysNAND low to avoid burning fuses, without the use of AutoRCM.

This is all a matter of personal preference.
  1. It is possible to downgrade the Switch as long as you keep your fuses from being burnt, so most people just care about keeping their fuse counts low. Because of this, a lot of people update the sysNAND but keep the fuse count low with AutoRCM.
  2. Some people don't like AutoRCM, so they keep the sysNAND low and use one (or two) emuNANDs.
  3. The only reason to keep the sysNAND and/or fuse count low is to be able to use future exploits (or the already released warmboot browser exploit). People who don't mind using the RCM exploit forever (or likely won't be getting future exploits depending on the system version they're on) sometimes don't care about preserving their fuse counts.
A clean sysNAND is, in theory, the cleanest you can possibly get. However, a clean emuNAND should still be relatively clean.

Regarding your specific situation, I'd recommend one of the following three options (if you plan on using online play):
  1. Use AutoRCM to keep your fuses from being burnt, update your clean sysNAND to 8.1.0 for online play, and use a dirty offline emuNAND on 8.1.0 for hacks.
  2. Keep your clean offline sysNAND on 3.0.0, use a clean emuNAND on 8.1.0 for online play, and use a dirty offline emuNAND on 8.1.0 for hacks.
  3. If you're content with using the RCM exploit and don't care about the warmboot browser exploit that's available to you (and you don't care about maybe getting an untethered coldboot exploit sometime in the far future), you can just update your clean sysNAND to 8.1.0 for online play, and you can use your dirty offline emuNAND on 8.1.0 for hacks.

The simplest thing to remember about keeping your sysNAND clean is to never run hacks with it.

Makes sense, thank you! Likely gonna go with option 2, though not up to speed on the best way to do so - if I'd rather keep the sysnand as clean as possible, is there a link or tut for the best course to take (installing emunand + atmosphere)?

Was only gonna dive into the technicalities once the dust settled, so don't know where to start from.

Last edited by mrgames,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes sense, thank you! Likely gonna go with option 2, though not up to speed on the best way to do so - if I'd rather keep the sysnand as clean as possible, is there a link or tut for the best course to take (installing emunand + atmosphere)?

Was only gonna dive into the technicalities once the dust settled, so don't know where to start from.
All three options keep your sysNAND clean.

There are various tutorials on setting up emuNAND here on GBATemp. Whatever you end up using, you should avoid YouTube tutorials, since they're often wrong and/or outdated.

mrgames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All three options keep your sysNAND clean.

There are various tutorials on setting up emuNAND here on GBATemp. Whatever you end up using, you should avoid YouTube tutorials, since they're often wrong and/or outdated.

Sorry what I meant was: the best way to install emunand, while keeping the sysnand at 3.00 and not using hacks on the sysnand to install such (if possible), since I wanna hold out on the coldboot option and reduce the ban hammer chances to a minimum.

Guessing I'll have to either use some entry point hack or hardware rig? (sorry, definitely out of the loop)

Last edited by mrgames,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, meant the best way to install emunand, while keeping the sysnand at 3.00 and not using hacks on the sysnand to install such (if possible), since I wanna hold out on the coldboot option and reduce the ban hammer chances to a minimum.
It's a matter of personal preference. However, it's worth keeping in mind that with a clean NAND backup, you can always return to a clean state. If you preserve your fuse count, you can also downgrade at any time.

For example, I have a sysNAND on 8.1.0 for offline hackery, no emuNAND (since I don't use online play), AutoRCM, and 3 fuses burnt. If an untethered coldboot exploit is released, I can downgrade back to 3.0.0. If I decide I want to use online play, I have a clean NAND backup.

Guessing I'll have to either use some entry point hack or hardware rig? (sorry, definitely out of the loop)
On 3.0.0, you have two options:
  1. The RCM exploit (requires a USB-C cable and a jig, although you only need to use the jig once if you install AutoRCM). My personal MO is to use the paperclip method to install AutoRCM.
  2. The warmboot browser exploit
I suggest using this guide: https://switch.homebrew.guide/gettingstarted/choosinganexploit

Reactions: mrgames

mrgames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a matter of personal preference. However, it's worth keeping in mind that with a clean NAND backup, you can always return to a clean state. If you preserve your fuse count, you can also downgrade at any time.

For example, I have a sysNAND on 8.1.0 for offline hackery, no emuNAND (since I don't use online play), AutoRCM, and 3 fuses burnt. If an untethered coldboot exploit is released, I can downgrade back to 3.0.0. If I decide I want to use online play, I have a clean NAND backup.

On 3.0.0, you have two options:
  1. The RCM exploit (requires a USB-C cable and a jig, although you only need to use the jig once if you install AutoRCM). My personal MO is to use the paperclip method to install AutoRCM.
  2. The warmboot browser exploit
I suggest using this guide: https://switch.homebrew.guide/gettingstarted/choosinganexploit

thanks man, appreciate the help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway