Hacking Question How do I update my emuNAND to 12.0.2 in 2021?

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
Note: iPatched Switch; 4.1.0 sysnand / 10.0.1 emunand; Atmosphere Neutos

I used Choi to update emuNAND's firmware a couple of times, but I hear Daybreak is being commonly used instead. Is this method compatible with my Switch?

Can 12.0.2 be considered safe? Are there any precautions one need to take on an ipatched Switch? iirc (could be wrong) I had to disable auto-RCM on Choi (or maybe it was automatically disabled, it's been a while).

Kinda stuck right now; would appreciate any help.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
You are right, you should use Daybreak instead of Choi.
Start by updating Atmosphere (both the files on the SD card and the payload). If you use Hekate update that as well. Finally update your EmuMMC with Daybreak.
12.0.2 is safe to use. Only thing is that some homebrew apps might still not work on 12.x but I think almost everything is working by now. I am on 11.0.1 and have so far not seen any reason to update. However at some point new games will come out that will require 12.x

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
You are right, you should use Daybreak instead of Choi.
Start by updating Atmosphere (both the files on the SD card and the payload). If you use Hekate update that as well. Finally update your EmuMMC with Daybreak.
12.0.2 is safe to use. Only thing is that some homebrew apps might still not work on 12.x but I think almost everything is working by now. I am on 11.0.1 and have so far not seen any reason to update. However at some point new games will come out that will require 12.x

By homebrew apps, do you mean things like emulators or the essentials for hacking like Choi, Kosmos for Hekate, etc.? I think that's a decisive factor for helping me decide whether to upgrade or not.

Apparently 12.0.3 is already a possibility for updating. Has it stopped being unsafe?

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
The essentials like CFW (Atmosphere) and payloads (Hekate, Fusse Primary, Lockpick_RCM, TegraExplorer and so on) work fine on the latest firmware. Retroarch is also working and most other homebrew has been updated by now. AFAIK the app to make forwarders still doesn't work but there is an alternative for that now. Checkpoint don't work but SciresM made a mod that works and there are also alternatives the Checkpoint. So I don't really think it is a problem anymore. I just haven't bothered to update yet because there is no advantage for me to do so at this time.

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
The essentials like CFW (Atmosphere) and payloads (Hekate, Fusse Primary, Lockpick_RCM, TegraExplorer and so on) work fine on the latest firmware. Retroarch is also working and most other homebrew has been updated by now. AFAIK the app to make forwarders still doesn't work but there is an alternative for that now. Checkpoint don't work but SciresM made a mod that works and there are also alternatives the Checkpoint. So I don't really think it is a problem anymore. I just haven't bothered to update yet because there is no advantage for me to do so at this time.

Would you say updating some of the other things mentioned in this guide, like Atmosphere and Hekate, is a good idea?

Some of the issues I experience include games crashing (very rare), games failing to be installed when their shop download finishes, and the console starts apps very slowly at times.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Would you say updating some of the other things mentioned in this guide, like Atmosphere and Hekate, is a good idea?

Some of the issues I experience include games crashing (very rare), games failing to be installed when their shop download finishes, and the console starts apps very slowly at times.
Yeah it doesn't hurt to update CFW to latest version even though you don't update HOS. However a lot of people have issues when updating so 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. But in your case where you have issues you coould try to see whether it fixes sometthing for you. Just remember to also update sigpatches. That is not covered by the guide.
Before updating I advise you to copy your Atmosphere and Bootloader folders to your PC so you have a backup to return to in case of issues after the update.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There is usually little to no reason to not be on the latest version of CFW. CFW is always backwards compatible and unlike older versions of CFW, newer versions support newer firmware versions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak past the light and kill that giant mosquito.