How do I make a .cia file?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by petethepug, Jul 29, 2017.

1. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Hi, I was just curious on how to make a .cia file that would appear on the home menu of the 3ds like a regular application would.

Also are there any tools for developing CIA's? Like using a certain code or application?

2. jockep

jockep GBAtemp Regular

Apr 12, 2017
    If you mean writing your own homebrew that is made using c/c++ and ctrulib (Google devkitarm). This produces a 3dsx which can be buildt into a cia using makerom.

If you Google some you can find some guides to setup an dev environment (i'm on my phone so wont link any haha).

3. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
  4. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I just got everything setup but I'm having trouble using Mysys to find files on my desktop.
    The command I'm using to find files is ~/Desktop/(File directory) but it cannot find anything. How should I format my directory in Mysys so it can recognize where I'd like a file location to be in
    I'm using the guide you linked me and I'm on "Building the examples" what am I doing wrong. :mellow:

5. jockep

jockep GBAtemp Regular

Apr 12, 2017
    I didn't understand even half of what you're saying? Just use "cd <path to dir>" and then "make" in cmd / terminal

SkyQueen likes this.
  6. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Alright so I took a few steps back, and I just figured out I installed devkit completely wrong :wacko:. I just had the MYsys, coding application, and a few other applications for development. None of the examples and stuff so I was completely clueless of what to do from the start lol.

This worked by the way, thanks :)

So now I made my 3dsx file just to get a jest of how to make one but how do I convert it to a CIA now?

7. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Bump