Gaming How do I get .cia files to run on my 3DS?

Berabouman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Following from my other post, I know I'm kind of late to the party, but still, I want to know how to run .cia files!

Using a Gateway on 4.4 firmware. I see a lot of guides online but they reference 9.2 or older firmware (which I don't have) and they seem to need me to download Big Blue something or other. Plus, a lot of them are out of date or point to links which don't exist.

I need a kind of super-simple guide to running .cia files - can anyone assist? The forum has been super-helpful in the past and filled with wonderful people, and I hope it can help me out again. :)

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is a well written and very easy guide to get you on your way, make sure to follow it closely to avoid risk of bricking your console but I have modded 2 3DS, a 2DS and 3 n3DS with no issue using the guide. I recommend going with Luma for your CFW and just installing it to sysNAND. That's just my preference though. Just read up on your info and ask gbatemp for help if you get stuck. Post your questions here: http://gbatemp.net/forums/3ds-flashcards-custom-firmwares.201/ as that is the best place on gbatemp to get info regarding CFW, Flashcards, and more.

just go here and click on get started, choose your current setup and it'll walk you through everything
https://plailect.github.io/Guide/

Quick edit: Not sure if it's against the rules to post the guide. If so someone just let me know and I will edit it out.

Last edited by eskinner3742,

Berabouman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did find the guide, but unfortunately I am still in the dark about how to go about doing these things...:( I had a sudden brainwave and an alternate solution presented itself though - maybe I can just convert the .cia files to 3ds and run them through Gateway normally? How would you advise going about doing that?

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did find the guide, but unfortunately I am still in the dark about how to go about doing these things...:( I had a sudden brainwave and an alternate solution presented itself though - maybe I can just convert the .cia files to 3ds and run them through Gateway normally? How would you advise going about doing that?

use the guide to update to 9.2. Once on there you can run either decrypt9 or hourglass9 (I can't remember which, maybe both) and then you can inject a .cia installer into health and safety on emunand. then you can launch health and safety to launch the installer and install another installer so you can change health and safety back to normal. from then on you can use the new cia installer to install signed and unsigned cias

sorry if this sounds complicated

Berabouman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to download a cia to 3ds converter but after frantic testing and Googling it doesn't work either. :( Looks like I will have to update to 9.2 after all!

Berabouman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I went back and used the guide but it doesn't tell me how to get from 4.4 (my current firmware) to 9.2 (which I apparently need to be on to get .cia files working)

Here is the page I'm on :

https://plailect.github.io/Guide/get-started-(old-3ds-usa)

Not trying to be obtuse here, genuinely perplexed. I have also Googled and YTed but apparently most guides assume that I am already a CFW, or that I'm on a different system, or are at some part of the process that I don't understand.

Thanks for being so patient with me!

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I went back and used the guide but it doesn't tell me how to get from 4.4 (my current firmware) to 9.2 (which I apparently need to be on to get .cia files working)

Here is the page I'm on :

https://plailect.github.io/Guide/get-started-(old-3ds-usa)

Not trying to be obtuse here, genuinely perplexed. I have also Googled and YTed but apparently most guides assume that I am already a CFW, or that I'm on a different system, or are at some part of the process that I don't understand.

Thanks for being so patient with me!
You no longer need to upgrade to 9.2. Do the Decrypt9 (Browser) method or Decrypt9 (MSET) depending on if you have a browser and do all instructions. When it tells you to go to a certain link if you have an old 3DS, go to that link. Just follow all instructions to a T and you'll be fine.

Berabouman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I am using the guide and I have gotten to this step :

6.Boot Decrypt9.nds using your flashcart

How does one do that? From the Gateway menu? I have placed the Decrypt9.nds onto the root of my microSD card, but it's not selectable from the series of games (when I press Select to select games normally) How do I run it?

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Alright, I am using the guide and I have gotten to this step :

6.Boot Decrypt9.nds using your flashcart

How does one do that? From the Gateway menu? I have placed the Decrypt9.nds onto the root of my microSD card, but it's not selectable from the series of games (when I press Select to select games normally) How do I run it?
Are you using the blue or red gateway card?

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well on Gateway's website, they host the "DevMen.3ds" file. You could just download that and stick it on your Gateway Red SD card. It allows you to install .cia files

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up