psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Noitora said:
Lol, half of you guys that replied here are worse than him. You too psycoblaster.
First of all Programmer's notepad can act as a hex editor but I wouldn't really recommend it, go download XVI32 or Hex Workshop if you want to mess with an English game or WindHex if you want to mess with Japanese/Chinese/Etc. games that use an alphabet different from the English one.
Anyway, I won't spend my time replying here coz I don't really think you'll read it.

Just go to http://www.romhacking.net/start and read the whole document, if you still have questions send me a PM.
WTF
I didn't even post in this thread, and I've never said anything offensive to him.
Everybody knows programmer's notepad acts as hex editors, but these regular hex editors aren't optimized for romhacking, like crystaltile2 or windhex.
And why would it NOT be a FAIL if you open up a file in a hex editor before even knowing how to use it?
That's just like opening a program compiler without knowing how to program. Messing around the hex without knowing anything is just like typing in random codes and getting hundreds of different errors.

QUOTE(Zav @ Mar 4 2009, 08:36 AM) ROFL at notepad someone hasnt heard of encryption
ROFL at you, as you've never used programmer's notepad before, or have never attempted a romhack.

Encryption comes a lot later.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
OK, this has gone far enough, why the heck are you flaming this guy?

Bunch of you are laughing at him and you don't know the answer yourselves!
mad.gif

That's not the way GBAtemp treats new people, and people that come with serious questions in search for help..

I understand that tom10122 couldn't find anything, because he didn't know it was a ROM hacking, he probably searched for "changing text in NDS game" and that gave him no result!

So keep it nice and clean, if you can help (and say something helpful as Noitora or Psycoblaster) then please, post and help, but if you have no freakin' idea about the matter, and you still want to be smart and laugh at the guy, then DON'T!
If you continue to off-topic and flame on this thread, warns will be increased!

cocomonk22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I helped too!
tongue.gif

After you extract/uncompress the files, you might have to write a table file if you're hex editor doesn't see any text. I used this site, this is an archive of it as it was before it went down. If you can save the game with a name, sometimes you will be able to find hex values for certain characters that way as well.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cocomonk22 said:
I helped too!
tongue.gif

After you extract/uncompress the files, you might have to write a table file if you're hex editor doesn't see any text. I used this site, this is an archive of it as it was before it went down. If you can save the game with a name, sometimes you will be able to find hex values for certain characters that way as well.
lol an ordinary hex editor will NEVER see any japanese text unless it supports different encodings.
It has nothing to do with compression for most cases.

cocomonk22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, he never mentioned Japanese text. If he did, I would have recommended he use Windhex32EX and a table of the Shift-JIS values.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cocomonk22 said:
Actually, he never mentioned Japanese text. If he did, I would have recommended he use Windhex32EX and a table of the Shift-JIS values.
It wouldn't matter if it was japanese or not. There are many different encodings that a game can use. Many english games also use their own custom encodings.
Japanese games aren't always in Shift JIS. They can be in any type of unicode, custom encodings such as It's a wonderful world and Etrian Odyssey.

cocomonk22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you're right, it's just that you said "lol an ordinary hex editor will NEVER see any japanese text unless it supports different encodings."

Anyway, it looks like he's figured out what to do.

cocomonk22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dsbuff, right. I meant to write dsbuff instead of dslazy for rom extraction and packing. Dsbuff is essentially an improved dslazy.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And why did some of you flame me when I was just trying to help. I know what I'm talking about when I say you can't just open a rom in notepad and change the text. I used hex as an example and got attacked. Why? That's one way developers translate sometimes. I mentioned expert tools because that's what they are. Why flame ME? I didn't make this thread, I was just trying to keep the answer as simple as possible for the new guy.

cocomonk22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville, I think it was because you thought he was using plain old notepad, when he was using Programmer's Notepad. According to it's website, Programmer's Notepad is a "Windows programming editor with an integrated Hex viewer/editor."

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah then I REALLY missed something there. I knew what that was, but I guess I REALLY missed the word in there "programmers". That was due to a lack of sleep and thanks to borderline dyslexia. My bad.

But still in that case, it IS a hex editor of sorts, so I still don't know why I was attacked for mentioning that. Or even attacked at all considering trolling is always inexcusable.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cocomonk22 said:
granville, I think it was because you thought he was using plain old notepad, when he was using Programmer's Notepad. According to it's website, Programmer's Notepad is a "Windows programming editor with an integrated Hex viewer/editor."
no, it would still be stupid anyways.
you can't just open up an nds file hoping that it was compiled in C/J#/C++ etc

and you can't be dealing with much stuff with an ordinary hex editor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: