How do I back up my Switch if I don't have emunand?

Crowla33R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In hekate the option to back up emummc greyed out which I assumed is because I don't have emunand set up. How do I back up all the important files, which folders/ files to copy to PC in case I need to change SD card? Also do I have to copy over my switch prod.keys? I don't seem to have lockpick...?

Crowla33R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, but what about prod.keys ? Are those needed when I migrate to new SD card and if I need them how do I go about backing them up?

Crowla33R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've successfully backed up by using Hekate's back up option. Currently my backup has boot0, boot1 and rawnandbin.

Am I now fully ready in case of SD card failure? Do I need to do anything else? Do I need to back up product keys or whatever else?

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
If you don't have emummc then what you have backed up is sysmmc which is not located on the SD card. But the backup is still good to have.
You should also extract your keys as mentioned earlier in this thread
The Nintendo folder contains the installed games among other things so you might consider making a copy of that as well if you want to be able to recreate everything in case of SD card failure

Crowla33R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. May I ask what would happen in case the SD card fails, and I have backup from Hekate but I haven't backed up or extracted the prod.keys?

2. What do I do with prod.keys when I'm unloading the backup onto new SD card?

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. May I ask what would happen in case the SD card fails, and I have backup from Hekate but I haven't backed up or extracted the prod.keys?

2. What do I do with prod.keys when I'm unloading the backup onto new SD card?
Once you get the new card setup, run https://vps.suchmeme.nl/git/mudkip/Lockpick_RCM/releases again and it will get your keys for you, and it will auto place them where they need to be. ( they will be in the "Switch" folder btw. -Prod.keys, Title.keys, Dev.keys )

Last edited by BigOnYa,

Crowla33R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once you get the new card setup, run https://vps.suchmeme.nl/git/mudkip/Lockpick_RCM/releases again and it will get your keys for you, and it will auto place them where they need to be. ( they will be in the "Switch" folder btw. -Prod.keys, Title.keys, Dev.keys )

So what happens if I immigrate to new SD with Hekate's sysmmc backup files only? Are those prod.keys, title.keys necessary ? What are they for?

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by BigOnYa,

Crowla33R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By this part

its only required if your keys are older than the games required fw. atm the highest fw requirement is 8.1.0. so ur 8.1.0 keys are fine but when a game is fw 9.0 or higher you need new keys

Am I correct in understanding that prod.keys file actually become useless after each firmware update, and you need to back it all up again each time, meaning it isn't absolutely tied to your Switch and in the worst case scenario that you didn't back it up when disaster strikes, you would still be able to play your Switch in CFW by using prod.keys from other sources?

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I correct in understanding that prod.keys file actually become useless after each firmware update, and you need to back it all up again each time, meaning it isn't absolutely tied to your Switch and in the worst case scenario that you didn't back it up when disaster strikes, you would still be able to play your Switch in CFW by using prod.keys from other sources?
If you don't have backup of your keys, then just run Lockpick and get them (Which will take less than 5 minutes). And yes with most FW updates, you will need to get your updated keys again, which are unique to your own console only. Keys you find online from other sources are mostly used for the Switch emulators, not for your own Switch console.
You should completely read this: https://rentry.co/SwitchHackingIsEasy

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By this part

No, you are not. Master keys and such are the same, yes, but every switch has its own keys that are used to encrypt your nand, save files, and SD card contents. Those keys never change (although on the 3DS, restoring your system to default would create a new SD seed... I don't think a Switch does that, but I've never done a reset, so I don't actually know). What CAN change with a new Firmware, but not necessarily every time, is the addition of new Master Keys. If you never pirate content, then this won't matter to you ( at least I think it doesn't, off the top of my head). Your own keys are important for decrypting/viewing your emmc and sd (Nintendo folder) contents, for the purpose of unbricking and such.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol