How can I prevent PS3 ISO TOOLS from splitting big files when converting to ISO to a NTFS partition?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Windows_10_User, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Windows_10_User
    OP

Windows_10_User GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    How can I prevent PS3 ISO TOOLS from splitting big files when converting to ISO to a NTFS partition? I've been told some games have black screen and getting kicked back to the XMB after running them problems with split big files (I guess + 4 GB). Why does PS3 ISO TOOLS split these files when it's a NTFS partition and I didn't choose the "Split ISO(s) To Fit On FAT32 device" setting? I want to run games on ISO and from an external NTFS partition and I'm directly converting them to ISO with PS3ISO TOOLS (I checked the "CFW","Firmware: 4.76" and "makeps3.iso" settings) to a folder called "PS3ISO" on the root of an external NTFS partition.

Last edited by Windows_10_User, Nov 22, 2019
    FanNintendo likes this.
  2. Magsor

Magsor I am watching you

Dec 1, 2010
    Canada
    Amos
    I guess if you copy the game to the internal hdd then back on usb it would join them with multiman. It seems you can join the files with ps3isotools too. But that as far as i can help you windows is a verry buggy software I don<t recommend it.

3. Windows_10_User
    OP

Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    But that would take a lot of time and the game would have to be on JB when multiMAN doesn't read JB games on external NTFS drives.

But how can I keep the game to the internal HDD if multiMAN doesn't read

4. Magsor

Magsor I am watching you

Dec 1, 2010
    Canada
    Amos
    Multiman NTFS is read only so you can copy your game to internal... alternatively you can use ftp thru wired connection(gigabit on ps3!!) to transfer back your iso file. I would do this with my phone nowadays... External is a pain... change your hard drive...

Last edited by Magsor, Nov 22, 2019
  5. Windows_10_User
    OP

Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    I don't have an ethernet cable. Anyway, but how can I put the game on external if the files are on the same directory and have the same name and file extension? If extracting the ISO's content I'd be asked by Windows to replace one of them for another.

6. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Have you tried using PS3 ISO Rebuilder from http://jonnysp.bplaced.net/ ?

You can use the IRD from that site as well to help create ISO that match official disc.

Windows_10_User likes this.
  7. Windows_10_User
    OP

Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    Yes, but it also splits the + 4 GB files and I can't find the missing and original files.

8. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I never had that problem, but then I never tried outputting them to an external disk drive because usb sucks on the ps3.

I have a vague recollection that it uses an exe to do the rebuilding, I may have updated that.

Last edited by smf, Nov 26, 2019
  9. Windows_10_User
    OP

Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    But I'd still have the same problem if I used them on the PS3's HDD and not on external.

10. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I don't know what you're doing wrong, but the best method isn't to use internal or usb but to use giga bit ethernet to a PC or NAS.

11. Windows_10_User
    OP

Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    I don't have a NAS or an ethernet cable but why should I use both when playing? Anyway, what does that have to do with what I asked?

Last edited by Windows_10_User, Nov 27, 2019
  12. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Use both what? You only need an ethernet cable and something capable of running ps3netsrv that is connected to your network.

Partly I was hoping that at some point you'd try creating an ISO not on a USB disk and instead create it on your hard drive and find out whether that made a difference, in case it assumed that removable disks always required splitting. I know I was able to create them without splitting, but I always created them in a folder on my hard drive.

Secondly using USB on PS3 isn't as good as using network, so even if you get it working on USB then you'd have been better off if you didn't.

Last edited by smf, Nov 27, 2019
  13. Windows_10_User
    OP

Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    Like I said, I don't have an ethernet cable and I think ps3netsrv doesn't work with multiMAN (I uninstalled webMAN MOD because it always freezes my PS3).

I have a slight slowdown when playing games so it may be caused by USB and there are some which install data that take a lot of time to do it but wouldn't wirelessly FTPing them to the PS3's HDD to install data faster take even more time?

14. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I don't use multiman, but supposedly it works.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ps3homebrew/wiki/ps3netsrv#wiki_multiman_setup

ps3netsrv doesn't ftp the entire ISO, it streams it as and when each sector is requested. I believe gigabit will run faster than the ps3 usb 2 port, wireless is probably slower. I never bothered testing that.

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/w...ups-usb-vs-sata-vs-ps3netsrv-iso-vs-jb.13361/

Internal is faster, but limited in size compared to ps3netsrv and it's better to keep it for ps2 as that can't be put anywhere else.

Last edited by smf, Nov 27, 2019
  15. Windows_10_User
    OP

Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    You're right, I remembered using it with multiMAN but never tried playing a game with it. Anyway, wouldn't it have lag, at least if not using an ethernet cable?

I know it doesn't FTP the entire ISO and I wasn't talking about that but using FileZilla Client to FTP the ISO to the PS3's HDD. Anyway, even if I used ps3netsrv I still wouldn't have an ethernet cable and what do you mean by internal being limited in size? I guess games which install data if run by ps3netsrv would still install it on the PS3's HDD (not to mention updates and DLC) so it would waste its space anyway.

Last edited by Windows_10_User, Nov 28, 2019
  16. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Internal drives can only be roughly 1.5tb, if the game installs anything then it will take up part of that no matter how you load the games. If you're constantly swapping between games you will have to delete the installed data and re-install all the time. No way round that unfortunately.

Windows_10_User likes this.
  17. Windows_10_User
    OP

Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    Thanks.

Anyway, even if I used ps3netsrv with an ethernet cable (maybe it's faster than internet) I guess the PS3 and the PC would make a lot of noise since when FTPing a video from the latter to the former using Universal Media Server does that and it would be unbearable.

So, I installed Windows 10 on a VM, used PS3 ISO TOOLS to convert Red Dead Redemption GOTY to ISO and it didn't split the + 4 GB RPF file so maybe my Windows install is messed up.

Last edited by Windows_10_User, Nov 28, 2019
  18. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    If you hook your PS3 & a computer up via giga bit ethernet with a gigabit hub then it will certainly be faster than the internet.

I think it's safe to assume the noise of Universal Media Server is because the CPU is maxed out transcoding videos to play on the PS3, not because it's transferring files.

19. Windows_10_User
    OP

Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    The only ethernet cable I have is used to connect the router to my laptop and it covers a big distance and the distance between the latter and the PS3 is also big. So, I'd have to use that HUB on my PC to be able to use two ethernet cables (the one which comes from the router to it and the other which goes from it to the PS3)?

I meant streaming videos with Universal Media Server, not games, but my PC does a lot of noise by itself even when not doing this, anyway (my PS3 does the same).

20. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Isn't that what I said?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted