Hacking How can I disable the disc drive

HK29

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Oh sorry, didn't realize the second image showed it too.

Now that I am back home I tried to create NAND but it's asking me for a removable type drive, when I am already selecting a drive that's removable. I also tried to create an XeBuild image but it's asking me for dash version, no idea what to do here.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh sorry, didn't realize the second image showed it too.

Now that I am back home I tried to create NAND but it's asking me for a removable type drive, when I am already selecting a drive that's removable. I also tried to create an XeBuild image but it's asking me for dash version, no idea what to do here.

actually, it was the original image. you could still click on its thumbnail.

HK29

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
upload_2019-12-14_23-45-12.png

upload_2019-12-14_23-47-12.png

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know where the selected dash kernel is as I don't use jrunner. I use xebuild gui. the latest one (iirc) just has the latest dash (17559). older versions have multiple dashes.

Last edited by godreborn,

HK29

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I don't know where the selected dash kernel is as I don't use jrunner. I use xebuild gui. the latest one (iirc) just has the latest dash (17599). older versions have multiple dashes.
There are two options under "select dash version". 'Add dash' and 'del dash'.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it may be looking for you to add a dash. I'm really not sure. I've added dashes to xebuild gui before, and everything went smoothly. however, I have limited knowledge about jrunner. @DinohScene will probably know.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

btw, to add a dash (at least with xebuild gui), you need patches for that kernel as well as the su.... file, which you can find in an official update. I think that's the only file that's important when updating the kernel.

edit: here's what it looks like in the patch folder:

WEbVr8J.jpg

HK29

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Alright I have the latest dash, xebuild and dashlaunch files put into jrunner now.

I have seen some posts online saying that launch.ini should be removed before this process, but which launch.ini exactly? There is one on the external drive with all the games and other software. Is it that one? or is there one inside the internal drive of the console? I have heard your console can get stuck on boot logo otherwise.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deleting the launch.ini is not necessary. it's the file that tells dashlaunch what to do, and injecting dashlaunch is done by default with xebuild gui (not sure about jrunner). there's a sample launch.ini that usually comes with dashlaunch, so you can use that and scroll down through the options. it doesn't matter if the launch.ini is on the external or the internal drive either. there's a hierarchical structure to where dashlaunch scans for the launch.ini. it's an order. I personally put mine on the external hdd for easy access.

HK29

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
deleting the launch.ini is not necessary. it's the file that tells dashlaunch what to do, and injecting dashlaunch is done by default with xebuild gui (not sure about jrunner). there's a sample launch.ini that usually comes with dashlaunch, so you can use that and scroll down through the options. it doesn't matter if the launch.ini is on the external or the internal drive either. there's a hierarchical structure to where dashlaunch scans for the launch.ini. it's an order. I personally put mine on the external hdd for easy access.
Alright so I am not deleting it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It is giving me this error:
upload_2019-12-15_12-42-19.png

Edit: I tried XeBuild GUI and I can't select the noDVD option in this one, it's locked under JTAG options and remains locked until "freeboot (JTAG)" is selected. Since this console is RGH2 modded, seems like this won't work.

Last edited by HK29,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is that with xebuild gui? how did you dump the nand? nand flasher 360?

they used to say that you shouldn't flash with dashlaunch with the nand image. that may be why you saw some posts about deleting the launch.ini. it's no longer necessary though. that's how I used to do it. installing dashlaunch separately can cause the system to freeze. that's what happened to me on the previous kernel. the reason is due to a patch they forgot to add. it's not really a big deal as it won't brick the system.

HK29

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I manually edited the NoDVD command in the XeBuild GUI options and then I built the image
Successfully flashed it and confirmed it by checking the dashboard version and it's the one I flashed just now (before it was a slightly older one)
However.... it still doesn't work. The problem still exists. The same as ever. I guess the NoDVD command really doesn't work without JTAG machines :/

Or maybe I did something wrong and there is a way to enable NoDVD?

Edit: Got jrunner working. Built an image with NoDVD enabled. Flashed it

Aaaaand it didn't work!! So this really does confirm it. That the NoDVD command is truly only for JTAG machines.

Any other alternative solution? Maybe some way I can convert the game such that the console sees it differently (think of apps that don't close due to the disc drive opening)

Last edited by HK29,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
probably a hardware problem. have you thought about just removing the dvd drive? it will cause the power light to flash if none is installed, but I believe there's a patch for it as well as way to stop it through soldering.

edit: the nodvd patch might be it actually. it might've been expecting no drive installed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo