OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
metal01 said:
turn down the volume.

That's what i'm doing now, but unfortunately that kills the sound effects too which I find to be a very 'sloppy' solution.

I *think* the music is in .resdat files in the /data directory, but that's as much as I know at the moment.

To make this simpler this is the info i'm hoping to find:

#1 Which files are the "background music" in the game?
#2 If I delete those files will it destabilize gameplay? (If it would can they be replaced with 0-byte files? Etc.)

Thanks

WataruKun

Rom translator.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can also dump the sdat, find the sseq data for the music you want to delete inside the sdat and basically overwrite it so it doesn't play.

It's good to also dump midis of the sseq files, so that you know which is sseq file, corresponds to what song. Then once you know the song, you open the sseq up in a hex editor. After that, you should copy the data from the sseq file and search for it inside the sdat. Once you find that data in the sdat, you'll know you found the right song. After that, just attempt to overwrite the data of that song.

Lasivian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WataruKun said:
You can also dump the sdat, find the sseq data for the music you want to delete inside the sdat and basically overwrite it so it doesn't play.

It's good to also dump midis of the sseq files, so that you know which is sseq file, corresponds to what song. Then once you know the song, you open the sseq up in a hex editor. After that, you should copy the data from the sseq file and search for it inside the sdat. Once you find that data in the sdat, you'll know you found the right song. After that, just attempt to overwrite the data of that song.

I hate to admit it, but you're well over my head here.

Perhaps I assumed this would be a much easier thing to do. :/

WataruKun

Rom translator.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lasivian said:
WataruKun said:

I hate to admit it, but you're well over my head here.

Perhaps I assumed this would be a much easier thing to do. :/
Perhaps. What'd you expect that there was some magical process that could turn off all the music?

An easier way might be to find the offsets of the banks, in VGMTrans, search for the bank data inside the sdat file, find it and replace all the banks. Still pretty advanced.

Lasivian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WataruKun said:
Perhaps. What'd you expect that there was some magical process that could turn off all the music?

An easier way might be to find the offsets of the banks, in VGMTrans, search for the bank data inside the sdat file, find it and replace all the banks. Still pretty advanced.

I was hoping the music would be in specific files that could be cut out of the ROM completely.

Unfortunately more than that is beyond my capabilities.

Thanks for the replies tho.

WataruKun

Rom translator.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lasivian said:
WataruKun said:

I was hoping the music would be in specific files that could be cut out of the ROM completely.

Unfortunately more than that is beyond my capabilities.

Thanks for the replies tho.
Well music is different files. FIRST you need to find a program that can extract "SSEQ" files and midis out of the the ".sdat" file, which you can find probably in the "sound" folder(Or whatever it's called). Then it will dump all the SSEQ and midi files in the game to different folders.

So first thing you'd need to do is find a program that can view the folders inside a rom, like NDS Top System. Once that's opened you could find the .sdat file and save that to your hard drive. Then find a program that can do what I mentioned above.

In the end, you could try finding the data for the music you want to remove, in the sdat and delete that data, but mostly likely it'll cause pointer problems and mess all the games music up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo