Hardware How are the new Slot 1 flashcards for GBA games?

mastermaw

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not sure why people are convinced slot1 devices will never play GBA games, as this is surely just the reverse of the current trend. I can't imagine it would be much more than a line of code in flashme - but that shows what i know about DS development. What a thicko indeed.

Maw.

Hypnotoad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I love these threads.

laugh.gif
rofl2.gif
laugh.gif
rofl2.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
SLOT-1 CARTS WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO PLAY GBA GAMES. IT'S HARDWARE RESTRICTION.

STOP ASKING THIS, USE THE DAMNED SEARCH.

Used the search. All the previous threads were inconclusive
wink.gif

The general agreement was that it might, in theory, be possible, but the GBA flashcards are so cheap, no developer or flashcard maker is willing to go through all the trouble.

A Slot2 card for GBA, Slot1/Slot2+Passcard for NDS (duh), Slot1+Slot2 cards for the Opera browser.

Yes, it's more expensive than just the one Slot1 card. But if you want access to the 2600 GBA ROMs, pay up. Why should card manufacturers give you a magical card that plays all and supports all for $25, when they can sell you $100 worth of cards to do the same thing?

Moneyz makes the world go "bling".

Ka-ching!

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Used the search. All the previous threads were inconclusiveÂ
wink.gif
Â

The general agreement was that it might, in theory, be possible, but the GBA flashcards are so cheap, no developer or flashcard maker is willing to go through all the trouble.
No, it's the agreement of people who don't know enough of it, they just think because it was possible to run NDS games from Slot2 cartridges, this'll automatically mean, the opposite will be possible too...
If you hear people talking about it who do know enough about it, they'll tell you it will not work because of those speeds limit and because the GBA cartridges come with their own RAM and such...

So if a Slot1 cartridge wants to be able to run GBA games, it would also require a Slot2 cart, which I believe DSLink+GBALink already does... But on the other hand, so does Nothing+EZ4 for example...

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
If you hear people talking about it who do know enough about it, they'll tell you it will not work because of those speeds limit and because the GBA cartridges come with their own RAM and such...
What you are saying is true, if you want to run it in GBA mode. But there was talk of actually running GBA code in DS mode (by people who do know what they are talking about), where the ARM9 would simply run the code directly (they are compatible), and the rest of the processor time and RAM would be used for some extremely weird memory juggling. You would also have to patch the ROMs heavily. But it could work, if you gave someone resources and a few years to work on it. The point is, it's not worth it. Why waste time when there are perfectly good GBA flashcards?

QUOTEBut on the other hand, so does Nothing+EZ4 for example...
(A perfectly good GBA flashcard
happy.gif
)

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
What you are saying is true, if you want to run it in GBA mode. But there was talk of actually running GBA code in DS mode (by people who do know what they are talking about), where the ARM9 would simply run the code directly (they are compatible), and the rest of the processor time and RAM would be used for some extremely weird memory juggling. You would also have to patch the ROMs heavily. But it could work, if you gave someone resources and a few years to work on it. The point is, it's not worth it. Why waste time when there are perfectly good GBA flashcards?

You'd basically have to rewrite each game you'd want to run in this fashion in order to be able to load it little at a time to RAM. I can't imagine someone spending time at accomplishing this, considering how much work it would most likely take to get it to run at decent speeds. Larger games would probably be unfeasible as well due to the limited amount of RAM present in the DS.

Bottom line: it's not going to happen. It's theoretically possible with lots of (game-specific) work behind it, but no one's that desperate to play GBA games off slot-1 devices. Get a slot-2 card if you're interested in GBA.

And some mandatory trolling:

I WANTZ N64 EMOOLATION FOR ZE DEE ESS!!!! FOLL SPEED JA!

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Bottom line: it's not going to happen. It's theoretically possible with lots of (game-specific) work behind it, but no one's that desperate to play GBA games off slot-1 devices. Get a slot-2 card if you're interested in GBA.
My thoughts exactly.

QUOTEAnd some mandatory trolling:

I WANTZ N64 EMOOLATION FOR ZE DEE ESS!!!! FOLL SPEED JA!

laugh.gif

Ei vont ze XboX on mei DS! Halo! Ei vont it nau!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: