hourglass9 boots to home screen

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by PandaOnToast, Jan 17, 2017.

1. PandaOnToast
    OP

PandaOnToast Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2017
    Hey, I have been following this guide to install arm9loaderhax on my old 3ds. My system will not boot into hourglass9 but instead to my home menund Luma 3ds boots fine. Earlier my system would display a black screen but now has this problem after I deleted the home menu extdata.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Posghetti

Posghetti Greninja Master

Mar 15, 2016
    United States
    Michigan
    Do you have it renamed to start_Hourglass9.bin?
    Is it placed inside /root/luma/payloads/ ?

3. mikesinclair555

mikesinclair555 Tri z

Nov 25, 2005
    United States
    USA
    I had the same issue. In the guide it doesn't say to rename hourglass9 to start_hourglass9
    As soon as I renamed it worked

Last edited by mikesinclair555, Jan 18, 2017
  4. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Because the guide now uses Luma chainloader menu. Holding start is supposed to open a boot menu allowing you to select hourglass9. No idea why it's not working for you, but the way you did it has the same effect.

5. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    For some reason the guide is referring to a feature that is not in the release that it is linking.

eroz76 likes this.
  6. PandaOnToast
    OP

PandaOnToast Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2017
    Yeah

7. Gurvier

Gurvier Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2017
    The reason why your getting that problem is because your using a nightly build of lumacfw which has the chainloader. If you downloaded the stable realese of lumacfw v6.6 then you would easily boot hourhlass9 from "start" and also the guide does say to rename the file to "start_Hourglass9.bin". If you want to still use the nightly build of luma then try renaming start_Hourglass9.bin to something like down_Hourglass9.bin and see if that works.

8. PandaOnToast
    OP

PandaOnToast Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2017
    Ill give it a try when I get back. Thanks

9. PandaOnToast
    OP

PandaOnToast Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2017
    Ah no luck. What do you mean by nightly build? I thought it said to just download the latest one.

10. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    If you downloaded Luma3DS from the link provided by Plailect at http://3ds.guide, then go into SD:/luma/payloads and make sure there is a file named "start_hourglass9.bin". If not, rename your hourglass9.bin payload to that. Put your SD card back into your 3DS. While holding START, turn on the 3DS. Let go of START once you see HourGlass9 load up.

If HourGlass9 still will not load up, your SD card may be corrupted. Did you check it with h2testw?

What they were telling you was that Luma3DS will have a change in the next version. Luma3DS will include its own chainloader menu, accessible by holding START when powering on. From there you can select any payload instead the number of payloads being limited to the number of buttons. This feature is already enabled if you have a nightly build of Luma3DS. If you are confused by this paragraph, ignore it for now.

11. PandaOnToast
    OP

PandaOnToast Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2017
    Aha! Finally got it to work. Turs out I was using the stable build so I installed the nightly build. Thanks for the help guys!

Gurvier likes this.
  12. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    I think you mean to say I failed to read the guide properly. :teach:

Tenshi_Okami likes this.
  13. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States