Hot: Wii Homebrew Loader!

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
soon enough it will be blocked by nintendo with a new firmware update, thats why i'm not too excited about it.

I was just about to say the same thing.

Backups would be the only thing I'd be interested in, not so much for homebrew. While there has been some decent homebrew on the DS (for example) I consider most of it crap. I'm guessing the same will go for Wii homebrew.

If someone could find a way to run backups without a MOD chip, and make it where Ninty couldn't stop it from happening, then I might actually consider buying a Wii myself.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit...maybe I shouldn't have got the Wiikey
unsure.gif

Great news, Team Twiizers is awesome!
bow.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
How are you going to patch a game executable on a non-rewritable disk?

I'd be more worried about them making a new version that doesn't have this exploit.

they wouldn't need to change the code on the disc itself, they will change how the gamesaves are loaded and saved, also they can change how the Wii system works, nintendo were fast enough to block the freeloaders and action replays on the Wii, so there is no question as what nintendo can do, just don't keep your hopes up yet.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
soon enough it will be blocked by nintendo with a new firmware update, thats why i'm not too excited about it.

I was just about to say the same thing.

Backups would be the only thing I'd be interested in, not so much for homebrew. While there has been some decent homebrew on the DS (for example) I consider most of it crap. I'm guessing the same will go for Wii homebrew.

If someone could find a way to run backups without a MOD chip, and make it where Ninty couldn't stop it from happening, then I might actually consider buying a Wii myself.

And this will turn the Wii into the Dreamcast. $10 for an SD adapter and get unlimited free games.

dualscreenman

Trophies
Website
kodewerx.net
XP
Country
United States

I'd be more worried about them making a new version that doesn't have this exploit.

they wouldn't need to change the code on the disc itself, they will change how the gamesaves are loaded and saved, also they can change how the Wii system works, nintendo were fast enough to block the freeloaders and action replays on the Wii, so there is no question as what nintendo can do, just don't keep your hopes up yet.
Yeah, except for the code that loads gamesaves is on the disc itself.
lecture.gif

Also, a blacklist such as the one used for Datel products isn't that much of a technological feat, and wouldn't work in this case without banning Zelda entirely.

DarkCamui

Trophies
XP
Country
Would be nice if this would allow us to play any Virtual Console game ripped from a Wii which has Virtual Console games.

Foie

That one guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
YES!
grog.gif
grog.gif
grog.gif

Let's hope this is the start to a great Wii homebrew scene!
biggrin.gif

BTW, in the shoutbox, I guessed that the first homebrew would be a point and click game, but I almost guessed a tetris game. Too bad...

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States

Saving and loading functions are on the disc which can't be patched. It would be quite a hassle if teh game had to refer to the bios every time it wanted to read data from a save file, no?

It is still possible to get around this of course. Nintendo could make an update that won't boot old copies of TP and send out free replacement discs. Not likely, but technically possible.

I've never seen jalaneme post in a topic without trying to crap all over it. I know you like being as negative as possible, but think before you type.
wink.gif

Alastair

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Saving and loading functions are on the disc which can't be patched. It would be quite a hassle if teh game had to refer to the bios every time it wanted to read data from a save file, no?

It is still possible to get around this of course. Nintendo could make an update that won't boot old copies of TP and send out free replacement discs. Not likely, but technically possible.

I've never seen jalaneme post in a topic without trying to crap all over it. I know you like being as negative as possible, but think before you type.
wink.gif

They could force the Wii to scan Zelda (or all) save files to search for modification before booting the game. They could cripple this one method by only scanning a Zelda save to see if Epona's name is appropriate but I'm sure they'd be able to come up with something, a way to encrypt saves so that modification could be detected perhaps? Maybe not for all games but disabling this exploit is totally within Nintendo's power!
lecture.gif

I'm not trying to "crap all over" the thread either - I thought before I typed.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States

wink.gif

They could force the Wii to scan Zelda (or all) save files to search for modification before booting the game. They could cripple this one method by only scanning a Zelda save to see if Epona's name is appropriate but I'm sure they'd be able to come up with something, a way to encrypt saves so that modification could be detected perhaps? Maybe not for all games but disabling this exploit is totally within Nintendo's power!
lecture.gif

I'm not trying to "crap all over" the thread either - I thought before I typed.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that cat-and-mouse game between finding overflows (other names in zelda) and checking them through system. It's always possible, but I doubt it's Nintendo's bag. Plus now that discs are editable (to the same extent save files are; still not to the general public) who's to say folks can't create or embed their own overflows?

Also, I wasn't saying you were crapping, I was talking about jalaneme. (...Unless you're an alternate account...) That girl's head can be in the right place but her heart just can't.
frown.gif

_mrshl_

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
PS: what happened to the other Wii hack from the "backdoor eins" guy? IIRC it'd allow you to decode Wii ISOs and re-sign them...that way it should be possible to create a homebrew loader disc that doesn't need any savegame trickery...

I think your "backdoor eins"-guy is tmbinc. And well Team Twiizers consists (as far as I know) of tmbinc, Segher and Bushing
wink.gif

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I spoke to segher he said he didn't have to put any anti-piracy tweeks in it, because it already did it out itself... so he said it won't be possible to create boot loader... damn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1