Gaming HoR or KH 3D

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
The problem with KH is that you must have played the other ones to understand this one(Which the story is so epic).

Heroes of Ruin probably will last longer

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean about the sleeping? Can you still play once you fall asleep or what?
You alternate between controlling Riku and Sora based on a timer. When the timer expires, the character "drops" into some kind of sleep or whatever and the other character resumes playing. The stories are somewhat connected but follow different paths. It's an interesting concept but it's a little abrupt when you're in the middle of something like fighting, and a bit strange when you're seeing the other character do something you haven't even done with them yet.

Sooo, its something like

If Riku is fighting Cloud in Traverse Town, you may just suddenly drop into Sora who is just looking for something in Wonderland, even if you havent gotten to Wonderland yet?

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
No Tales, im sick of JRPGs.
But thanks for the suggestion anyway.
But KH is a JRPG too. :/
Tales doesn't follow the style of gameplay that JRPGs are known for. The gameplay is more akin to something like Tekken, but you have roaming around and a good story.
I've played the demo for HoR and bought KH and I would say that KH is probably better, although I dislike the game. Also, you've got the idea of dropping exactly right. There is a gauge that shows you when you're going to drop, though.

The Milkman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tales doesn't follow the style of gameplay that JRPGs are known for. The gameplay is more akin to something like Tekken, but you have roaming around and a good story.
I've played the demo for HoR and bought KH and I would say that KH is probably better, although I dislike the game. Also, you've got the idea of dropping exactly right. There is a gauge that shows you when you're going to drop, though.
Hm? What do you mean by gameplay more like Tekken? Its not turn-based?

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
What do you mean about the sleeping? Can you still play once you fall asleep or what?
You alternate between controlling Riku and Sora based on a timer. When the timer expires, the character "drops" into some kind of sleep or whatever and the other character resumes playing. The stories are somewhat connected but follow different paths. It's an interesting concept but it's a little abrupt when you're in the middle of something like fighting, and a bit strange when you're seeing the other character do something you haven't even done with them yet.

Sooo, its something like

If Riku is fighting Cloud in Traverse Town, you may just suddenly drop into Sora who is just looking for something in Wonderland, even if you havent gotten to Wonderland yet?
Kind of, yeah. There are no FF characters in this game (apart from moogles), only Disney characters and characters from The World Ends with You.

Hm? What do you mean by gameplay more like Tekken? Its not turn-based?
All Tales games have their battle systems derive from the Linear Motion Battle System, which is real time and not turn based. It's actually a pretty cool system, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Motion_Battle_System#Battle_system

The Milkman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
So, im still not directly fighting? :/ yeah, no.
"Usually, the player has direct control over one character, and can move and direct this character in any way he or she chooses."
From the article, so yeah, you do have direct control over the character. Sorry if I seem persistent in this, I just think that Tales of the Abyss is a better choice than KH or HOR.

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country

The Milkman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Usually, the player has direct control over one character, and can move and direct this character in any way he or she chooses."
From the article, so yeah, you do have direct control over the character. Sorry if I seem persistent in this, I just think that Tales of the Abyss is a better choice than KH or HOR.
No, no ^_^ I understand. I get that I have control over one character but it seems like its one of those kinds of games where you run up to an enemy and instead of directly fighting, you just go into a battle scenario and start fighting, I might grab it later on when I finish either HoR or KH.

Its not for the score. Is about what they said about the game that you should care about.

But its IGN :(, not that I dont appreciate the effort but I wanted to hear what YOU guys have to say about them, not critics.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, no ^_^ I understand. I get that I have control over one character but it seems like its one of those kinds of games where you run up to an enemy and instead of directly fighting, you just go into a battle scenario and start fighting, I might try out the Wii version though.

Don't. It's shit.

Here's gameplay footage of Abyss (from early on the game). The battle system is tight and very very fun. Overall it's a far superior battle system to Kingdom Hearts. And quite frankly. fun is much more preferable to ANGST SHIT STORY ABOUT A BOY DISCOVERING HIS HOMOSEXUALITY!

HoR looks very generic and I can't say I was particularly impressed by the demo. RPGfan were relatively unimpressed with the game. Though the online is meant to be pretty competent.

Reactions: 2 people

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, IGN's score was totally bought and paid for. And they had the cheek to say that Metacritic is damaging the games industry.

No, no ^_^ I understand. I get that I have control over one character but it seems like its one of those kinds of games where you run up to an enemy and instead of directly fighting, you just go into a battle scenario and start fighting, I might grab it later on when I finish either HoR or KH.

Tales of... aren't strictly action RPGs, if that's what you're looking for. It's a hybrid action RPG, so you have battle encounters and then the action-based fighting takes over.

The Milkman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, im going to gamestop later, if they have abyss ill get it, if they dont im just going to pick up a used copy of Pokemon Black or Snake Eater since HoR seems to be generic looking and the Drop system in KH sounds pretty annoying. Thanks for helping me make my choice guys.

xerxes16439

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow the amount of bias in this thread is just incredible. 1) Tales of the Abyss is a great game, i love it, its one of my favorites next to tales of symphonia, but it is in no way as AMAZING as some fanboys make it seem. 2) KH:3D's Drop system is not terrible, it keeps you from ignoring a characters storyline and you *can* control it to an extend and it actually keeps the game fresh and exciting. 3) Heroes of Ruin is fun but it gets repetitive really quickly, if you really like the gameplay or style of this game i would advise you to go for Diablo instead. Here's my advise, go for KH:3D or if you like Final Fantasy, Theathrythm those are probably the best games out right now. If you are not into Final Fantasy but want a great rhythm game, give Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure a try, there's even a demo out for it and if you get it you won't regret it. Honestly, if you are not into hardcore JRPGs the Tales games are not the way to go at all.
P.S. KH is not an JRPG it's an ARPG, like Zantigo said you get 'direct control' of your character and the mechanics and gameplay are different.
P.P.S. Emigre's comments almost come out as homophobic and hateful, although Kingdom Hearts's story has nothing to do with Homosexuality, if it did that would not make it bad game and should not qualify as a valid reason to not play it.

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
P.S. KH is not an JRPG it's an ARPG, like Zantigo said you get 'direct control' of your character and the mechanics and gameplay are different.
P.P.S. Emigre's comments almost come out as homophobic and hateful, although Kingdom Hearts's story has nothing to do with Homosexuality, if it did that would not make it bad game and should not qualify as a valid reason to not play it.
JRPG = Japanese RPG. This includes different types like SRPGs, Turn-based RPGs, Action RPGs, etc. As long as they're from Japan, they're JRPGs. Also, Emigre's joking about the game. Don't you have a sense of humour?

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021