Hacking Homebrew that makes VC games 4:3?

ImNotTails

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I have a stupid roku tv and so I can only stretch images. I would like to know if someone made a homebrew app that makes a Virtual Console games 4:3 with black bars.

Bagel Le Stinky

the bagel bad smell
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok so I have a stupid roku tv and so I can only stretch images. I would like to know if someone made a homebrew app that makes a Virtual Console games 4:3 with black bars.

you don't need to, when you start a VC game it automatically goes to 4:3 so you can change it from stretch to normal on the Roku temporarily, always works for me

ImNotTails

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you don't need to, when you start a VC game it automatically goes to 4:3 so you can change it from stretch to normal on the Roku temporarily, always works for me
That does not happen for me. This is the direct input from the Wii.

Attachments

• 5C23D77F-100F-4CA6-8827-4E19B66475C7.jpeg
    5C23D77F-100F-4CA6-8827-4E19B66475C7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 112

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
https://gbatemp.net/threads/hidden-n64-vc-widescreen-mode.575806/

Nintendo programmed-in an option for widescreen correction in many VC games but left it inaccessible. Only a handful of disc-only releases made use of it. A good chunk of games that don't have this hidden feature can still do widescreen correction by editing the settings of the video mode, though It's a lot more convenient to just use homebrew emulators.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Know a solution that will work but its not optimal.

For about 100 USD you could buy a Marseille mClassic that has a mode that will squeeze an image to 4:3, while outputting a 16:9 image. But you'd always have the 'image enhancing' sharpening and (slight) colorshift active.

Alternatively you could try buying an OSSC (about 80 bucks on aliexpress) or a Wii2HDMI (10 USD), to see if you can change the TV to a 4:3 mode, once you feed it a signal via HDMI. (OSSC delivers better image quality).

But first, go through all your TV options again and try to find a 4:3 mode. Its highly unusual, that a TV would stretch everything to 4:3.

edit: Just found this:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Getting-Started-Setup-How-to/Picture-aspect-ratio/m-p/517800#M1330

If thats true, only the first solution (Marseille mClassic) would work.

Last edited by notimp,

ImNotTails

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
update firmware of your roku TV, maybe?
all updated

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Know a solution that will work but its not optimal.

For about 100 USD you could buy a Marseille mClassic that has a mode that will squeeze an image to 4:3, while outputting a 16:9 image. But you'd always have the 'image enhancing' sharpening and (slight) colorshift active.

Alternatively you could try buying an OSSC (about 80 bucks on aliexpress) or a Wii2HDMI (10 USD), to see if you can change the TV to a 4:3 mode, once you feed it a signal via HDMI. (OSSC delivers better image quality).

But first, go through all your TV options again and try to find a 4:3 mode. Its highly unusual, that a TV would stretch everything to 4:3.

edit: Just found this:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Getting-Started-Setup-How-to/Picture-aspect-ratio/m-p/517800#M1330

If thats true, only the first solution (Marseille mClassic) would work.

HOLY SHIT THATS ALOT OF MONEY

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
all updated

HOLY SHIT THATS ALOT OF MONEY

All alternatives are out (if the thing in the last edit sounds true), so thats exactly 100 USD for the first thingy. ;)

OSSC is a linedoubler, scanlines adding (optionally) thingy, you mostly use if you want to get a good image quality HDMI image out of analogue consoles. Most TVs dont support the ultra low resolutions of snes era consoles, so they have to be "line doubled" (upscaled), hence the name, before being handed over to the TV. For PS1 and later consoles it is optional, but it gives you a high quality analog to HDMI converter, with a few nice features like fake scanlines (with custom transparency). In your case I mentioned it, because for a time it was unclear, if that issue you are having is resolution dependent. OSSC would have been able to give you all kinds of resolutions (upsacle 2x, 3x, 4x...). But according to the comment in the url linked, your TV is forcing 16:9 on _every_ signal it gets over HDMI.

Same difference with the Wii2HDMI thingamajig (worse image quality than an OSSC would give you), also wont solve your problem alone. (If you have a Wii and not a Wii U, you might need something like it (or an OSSC) to get an HDMI out that you can feed to the mclassic.)

mclassic would solve your problem, but its a hard sell, as it also does image sharpening, that might not look so good on some games, and its also quite costly (comparatively).

Best path of action would be to source a new TV probably (Used for 200-300 bucks or so..)

All other external scalers (like the mclassic), would either add lag, or be cost prohibitive (more expensive than the mclassic thing), and thats what you'd need to solve your issue in hardware.

No cheaper hardware solutions than the mclassic available that I'm aware off, I'm afraid (that also are zero lag, or close to zero lag).

edit: !IMPORTANT (probably should have lead with this), if you are feeding a Wii-U signal via HDMI to your TV (or a Wii signal with a Wii2HDMI adapter and then HDMI to your TV), try buying and using a Wii-U component cable can be had for 4-8 USD on aliexpress (not the best quality (shielding)), to find out if your TV has some way to set aspect ratio to 4:3 while its being delivered an analog signal. That is IF your TV has a "component in" (plugs for a component cable). If on analogue signals it allows you to set aspect ratio to 4:3 you might have your problem solved for 4 USD.

Last edited by notimp,

ImNotTails

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All alternatives are out (if the thing in the last edit sounds true), so thats exactly 100 USD for the first thingy. ;)

OSSC is a linedoubler, scanlines adding (optionally) thingy, you mostly use if you want to get a good image quality HDMI image out of analogue consoles. Most TVs dont support the ultra low resolutions of snes era consoles, so they have to be "line doubled" (upscaled), hence the name, before being handed over to the TV. For PS1 and later consoles it is optional, but it gives you a high quality analog to HDMI converter, with a few nice features like fake scanlines (with custom transparency). In your case I mentioned it, because for a time it was unclear, if that issue you are having is resolution dependent. OSSC would have been able to give you all kinds of resolutions (upsacle 2x, 3x, 4x...). But according to the comment in the url linked, your TV is forcing 16:9 on _every_ signal it gets over HDMI.

Same difference with the Wii2HDMI thingamajig (worse image quality than an OSSC would give you), also wont solve your problem alone. (If you have a Wii and not a Wii U, you might need something like it (or an OSSC) to get an HDMI out that you can feed to the mclassic.)

mclassic would solve your problem, but its a hard sell, as it also does image sharpening, that might not look so good on some games, and its also quite costly (comparatively).

Best path of action would be to source a new TV probably (Used for 200-300 bucks or so..)

All other external scalers (like the mclassic), would either add lag, or be cost prohibitive (more expensive than the mclassic thing), and thats what you'd need to solve your issue in hardware.

No cheaper hardware solutions than the mclassic available that I'm aware off, I'm afraid (that also are zero lag, or close to zero lag).

edit: !IMPORTANT (probably should have lead with this), if you are feeding a Wii-U signal via HDMI to your TV (or a Wii signal with a Wii2HDMI adapter and then HDMI to your TV), try buying and using a Wii-U component cable can be had for 4-8 USD on aliexpress (not the best quality (shielding)), to find out if your TV has some way to set aspect ratio to 4:3 while its being delivered an analog signal. That is IF your TV has a "component in" (plugs for a component cable). If on analogue signals it allows you to set aspect ratio to 4:3 you might have your problem solved for 4 USD.
I'm using a shitty AV to HDMI dongle right now, and I'm not using a Wii U. imma try switching to the AV Cables now.

alright, now its ok. so now, i say goodbye.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, and sticky