Hacking Homebrew files, where to put it?

agonoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello guys! New here. Just bought a DS lite and an M3 DS real. I wanted to read some novels (.txt file) on it so I decided to download a text reader (DS reader, got it from the homebrew guide here)

Question is where do I extract it? Can't seem to find a homebrew folder in my root directory. Should I just create one? Or do I simply put the dsreader.nds in the root directory?

One more question. I've read problems about moonshell 1.71 (not sure) + M3 DS Real. Should I just go with the built-in media player? Media-ex if I'm not mistaken. Does it play vids and mp3's only?

Help would be very much appreciated.

strata8

Look! A pointless distraction!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can put the .nds wherever you like, but if it has a data folder you should try to put the folder in the root directory.

And yes, the M3 Real does have problems with moonshell, but the built-in one should be fine as it really is the same thing. It can view text files, some music files, pictures, as well as .dpg (NDSMpeg) and .dsm, which are both video files.

agonoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the help! Just one more question as I am a bit confused. I've also read that when converting movies into .dpg files, you need 3 programs not just the dpg converter itself but others say otherwise.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
agonoy said:
Thanks for the help! Just one more question as I am a bit confused. I've also read that when converting movies into .dpg files, you need 3 programs not just the dpg converter itself but others say otherwise.

I never had to use more than one program to convert a video file to a .dpg container. I'm usually able to drag and drop my files into the converter that was made by the moonshell developer.

Artheido

Trophies
Website
artheido.wordpress.com
XP
Country
agonoy said:

You just need a DPG converter unless if the converter rejects the movie file. If it does, you'll need to use a movie file to another movie file converter (eg. AVI to MP4 converter or whatever) then try to convert it to DPG again.

That's what I do, anyway.

strata8

Look! A pointless distraction!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
These are the things you need:

1. A codec pack. This is essential for converting. I find that the best one is the CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) which can be found here.

2. A video converter. You can get I .dpg only converter, but I think that the best option is the SUPER Video Converter. You can download it here. (just look around, the link is hard to find)

You should be all set!

PS: I keep thinking your name is "Agony"...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries