Homebrew files, where to put it?

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by agonoy, Apr 9, 2008.

Apr 9, 2008
  1. agonoy
    OP

Newcomer agonoy Newbie

Philippines
    Hello guys! New here. Just bought a DS lite and an M3 DS real. I wanted to read some novels (.txt file) on it so I decided to download a text reader (DS reader, got it from the homebrew guide here)

Question is where do I extract it? Can't seem to find a homebrew folder in my root directory. Should I just create one? Or do I simply put the dsreader.nds in the root directory?

One more question. I've read problems about moonshell 1.71 (not sure) + M3 DS Real. Should I just go with the built-in media player? Media-ex if I'm not mistaken. Does it play vids and mp3's only?

Help would be very much appreciated.

2. strata8

Member strata8 Look! A pointless distraction!

Australia
    You can put the .nds wherever you like, but if it has a data folder you should try to put the folder in the root directory.

And yes, the M3 Real does have problems with moonshell, but the built-in one should be fine as it really is the same thing. It can view text files, some music files, pictures, as well as .dpg (NDSMpeg) and .dsm, which are both video files.

3. agonoy
    OP

Newcomer agonoy Newbie

Philippines
    Thanks for the help! Just one more question as I am a bit confused. I've also read that when converting movies into .dpg files, you need 3 programs not just the dpg converter itself but others say otherwise.

4. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    I never had to use more than one program to convert a video file to a .dpg container. I'm usually able to drag and drop my files into the converter that was made by the moonshell developer.

5. Artheido

Member Artheido GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    You just need a DPG converter unless if the converter rejects the movie file. If it does, you'll need to use a movie file to another movie file converter (eg. AVI to MP4 converter or whatever) then try to convert it to DPG again.

That's what I do, anyway.

6. strata8

Member strata8 Look! A pointless distraction!

Australia
    These are the things you need:

1. A codec pack. This is essential for converting. I find that the best one is the CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) which can be found here.

2. A video converter. You can get I .dpg only converter, but I think that the best option is the SUPER Video Converter. You can download it here. (just look around, the link is hard to find)

You should be all set!

PS: I keep thinking your name is "Agony"...

7. agonoy
    OP

Newcomer agonoy Newbie

Philippines
    Agony? Lol. Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated really.

8. 11gardir

Member 11gardir GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Lol, the super website is rubbish, it has instructions on how to find the download. It does work though.