Homebrew Homebrew Development

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nothing special ! Just a web browser that supports html5 !!

Oh young padawan, you have much to learn about the complexities of programming a web browser from the ground up that supports all the latest standards. I've tried once and failed, and that was just making a basic one for the Xbox 360. You would need a good 6+ person team with a lot of free time on their hands to pull it off, and that's just at a lesser level. In short, keep dreaming, as it won't come anytime soon, however unfortunately.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Oh young padawan, you have much to learn about the complexities of programming a web browser from the ground up that supports all the latest standards. I've tried once and failed, and that was just making a basic one for the Xbox 360. You would need a good 6+ person team with a lot of free time on their hands to pull it off, and that's just at a lesser level. In short, keep dreaming, as it won't come anytime soon, however unfortunately.

How about modifying the original 3DS browser?

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
parts of the 3ds browser are open source, though im unsure how much. but on that matter a host file style of adblocking would be nice.

parts of the 3ds browser are open source, though im unsure how much. but on that matter a host file style of adblocking would be nice.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How about modifying the original 3DS browser?
That would depend on the skill of the person heading the project as far as reverse engineering is concerned. Though I'm sure you could fairly easily increase the cache size, adding optimizations to the browser, let alone an entire standard as comprehensive and demanding as HTML5, would be a rather large undertaking. The only hope would be the potential for a significant enough chunk of the source code to be available, thanks to the requirements for using webkit, to allow for it to be mostly built from that source code alone. I'm not sure how much of it is available though, as I haven't looked into it, but feel free to confirm on it's availability and robustness if you're feeling so inclined.

williamcesar2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

oh my ! I take that back !

tomiga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The 3DS uses WebKit, so the rendering engine for the web pages is open source.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Creating a new browser (with html 5 support) from scratch would be virtually impossible (all the major browsers have HUGE teams of very talented developers working on them, and they still have tons of bugs and don't completely implement the spec). It would be much more reasonable to port something like firefox or chromium to the 3DS (this wouldn't necessarily be that hard), but it still likely wouldn't play movies. To get movie support, you would need to also port the video codecs, meaning FFMpeg, which is again not actually that impossible, just time consuming.

tomiga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Creating a new browser (with html 5 support) from scratch would be virtually impossible (all the major browsers have HUGE teams of very talented developers working on them, and they still have tons of bugs and don't completely implement the spec). It would be much more reasonable to port something like firefox or chromium to the 3DS (this wouldn't necessarily be that hard), but it still likely wouldn't play movies. To get movie support, you would need to also port the video codecs, meaning FFMpeg, which is again not actually that impossible, just time consuming.

Porting both Firefox and Chromium would be nearly impossible due to the vast amount of RAM that they use. Even the mobile versions would be very hard. You have to remember, the 3DS is very limited RAM-wise.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Porting both Firefox and Chromium would be nearly impossible due to the vast amount of RAM that they use. Even the mobile versions would be very hard. You have to remember, the 3DS is very limited RAM-wise.

I'm more concerned about the CPU than the RAM...

tomiga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm more concerned about the CPU than the RAM...

That too. I kinda keep forgetting that the 3DS doesn't have a massively-powerful processor either. It's no smartphone/Vita, but the screen is pretty, 'cuz you know, 3D and all...

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible to create stripped down versions of both. The real problem is that if you want a browser that is capable of the entire html5 spec (in particular WebGL and Video) it is going to use a decent amount of RAM. However, Chrome and Firefox use a lot of RAM and CPU on desktop because the resources are available, and they are trying to provide the best user experience possible. You can actually run Firefox or Chrome on very low end devices and they work fine(ish), they just scale down (there are some compiler flags you can set when you know you are working on embedded or very limited hardware). The hard part would be porting them to efficiently use whatever graphics system the 3DS uses.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reminder, please dont double or triple post, if you have something to add and you are the last person to respond to the thread, please edit your last post with the new information.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I see no reason to port a browser to 3DS, everybody on this forum probably already have a smartphone/tablet that does it better than 3DS could ever do.
Considering 3DS has very limited RAM and it's CPU isn't that powerful either, the result wouldn't be really good, and would also take quite some time,
that could be invested in coding something more appropriate for 3DS, like old system emulators(16 bit consoles and handhelds older than DS) and homebrews

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What I most expect with 3DS hacking is GBA and SNES emulators.

Although it wasn't perfect, playing SNES on PSP was so amazing, although it couldn't handle ports of the most recent versions of snes9x, since 3DS is quite more powerful than PSP,
I hope it can handle it. But anyway, if it get's as good as PSP's SNES emulation I'll be happy.

Since GBA has a somewhat different aspect ratio, it doesn't get fullscreen on DS, and if you also play a GBA emulator on a DS flashcard on 3DS, you'll be limited to a very small part of
the screen. If we get a GBA emulator working in 3DS mode it can use the top screen, wich is 16:9, making it possible to use most of the screen.
It will also be possible to zoom it to 16:9 ratio losing very few of the original image.
It would be also possible to simulate a cable link and play multiplayer games wireless.
There are some games lke pokémon that would benefit from the 3DS clock, having a day-night cycle working properly.

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I most expect with 3DS hacking is GBA and SNES emulators.

Although it wasn't perfect, playing SNES on PSP was so amazing, although it couldn't handle ports of the most recent versions of snes9x, since 3DS is quite more powerful than PSP,
I hope it can handle it. But anyway, if it get's as good as PSP's SNES emulation I'll be happy.

Since GBA has a somewhat different aspect ratio, it doesn't get fullscreen on DS, and if you also play a GBA emulator on a DS flashcard on 3DS, you'll be limited to a very small part of
the screen. If we get a GBA emulator working in 3DS mode it can use the top screen, wich is 16:9, making it possible to use most of the screen.
It will also be possible to zoom it to 16:9 ratio losing very few of the original image.
It would be also possible to simulate a cable link and play multiplayer games wireless.
There are some games lke pokémon that would benefit from the 3DS clock, having a day-night cycle working properly.
I hope that will come to pass, but first we need ARM11 support...

Reactions: LegendaryFighter

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan @I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu...