Homebrew Development

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by aliak11, Jan 16, 2014.

1. ShroomKing

ShroomKing Mr. Nice ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    in bed
    Sorry by "use code blocks" i meant: use code formatting blocks in your messages, it makes it easier to read the code and people reading the thread don't have to scroll as much.
    (CODE)
    //your code
    (/CODE)
    like this but with [ ] instead of ( ).

It really doesn't matter what editor/IDE you use, as long as you're comfortable with it.
    I personally use vscode with the Microsoft C/C++ addon, it's very helpful and also easy to configure for "homebrew" development.

Last edited by ShroomKing, Nov 20, 2019
  2. RyuShinobi500

RyuShinobi500 Coder

Oct 25, 2019
    United States
    Okay cool sorry for the mix upB-)

3. RyuShinobi500

RyuShinobi500 Coder

Oct 25, 2019
    United States
    Sorry to bother you again but I was wondering say I wanted to make a sprite move should I make a t3s file for each frame or should I put all the frames in a single t3s file thanks

4. AHB

AHB Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2016
    United States
    If I'm using citro3D and/or libctru, is it possible to change the format of a render target's frame buffer mid-program, or would I need to delete the render target and recreate it with the desired frame buffer format? If it is possible, what specifically would I need to do?

5. elhobbs

elhobbs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 28, 2008
    United States
    It depends. It will likely depend on the size of you sprites and how much memory you have available. Large sprites may require their own texture. Lots of smaller sprites can be packed into a single texture. If the sprites are of a uniform size you may be able to use a simple grid aligned allocation. If they are not uniform in size and you are running low on memory then you may need to get a little more aggressive and use a texture atlas.
    The simplest approach is probably a single texture for each sprite. I would go with the simplest approach until you know you need to do something different.

6. RyuShinobi500

RyuShinobi500 Coder

Oct 25, 2019
    United States
    Okay thanks I have figured out a way to animate the sprites but they now move faster then the eye can see I am trying to add a 0.5 second intermission between frames

7. catlover007

catlover007 Developer

pip Developer
    Oct 23, 2015
    Germany
    this method doesn't take account if the fps drop <60 but it's the simplest method. You have a frame counter, once it reaches thirty you move to the next frame and reset the counter.

8. RyuShinobi500

RyuShinobi500 Coder

Oct 25, 2019
    United States
    I will try it thanks!

9. Confusion_18

Confusion_18 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2019
    Canada
    Is there any way to control 3ds volume with code?

10. RyuShinobi500

RyuShinobi500 Coder

Oct 25, 2019
    United States
    Hey would anyone know how to install devkitPro on Linux? thanks

11. catlover007

catlover007 Developer

pip Developer
    Oct 23, 2015
    Germany
    afaik that would be quite hard and would require modifications of the os itself.
    it's detailed here as for every other platform: https://devkitpro.org/wiki/Getting_Started

if you use a distro which uses pacman as it's default packet manager, you only need to add the appropriate package sources. Otherwise you need to install pacman.

12. RyuShinobi500

RyuShinobi500 Coder

Oct 25, 2019
    United States
    Thank you

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Would anyone know what 3d model software to use to create my own assets for 3ds homebrew

13. catlover007

catlover007 Developer

pip Developer
    Oct 23, 2015
    Germany
    for 3d modeling in general blender is a good choice, it's free and open source and even rivals commercial programs, though it has a steep learning curve. Also you don't have an engine on the 3ds, so you probably have to write your own model loader/integrate one someone else has already written.

14. RyuShinobi500

RyuShinobi500 Coder

Oct 25, 2019
    United States
    Okay thank you i will look into a model loader

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted