Hacking Homebrew Challenge: Switch with no SD slot

Kafluke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have several Switches. Some hacked and some virgin. I have one that is hackable and already has autoRCM enabled on 6.2. It has a busted SD connector. It's not the modular SD slot. It's the actual connector for the modular SD adapter on the motherboard. It's been broken off the main board so I cant simply replace it. I was provided with alternate solder points but they are too small to solder correctly for my skills and tools.

I had planned on using it for parts but it would be cool to have it usable for homebrew. What do you guys think?

Switch on OFW 6.2
Fuses burned to match 6.2
Nand backup from 5.1
SX OS license (but no good since no SD)
Hekate works fine
SD card not an option
Extra official dock to go with it
Banned

Any way to ever load homebrew on this thing again or scrap it for parts?

Edit: forgot to mention its banned

Last edited by Kafluke,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have several Switches. Some hacked and some virgin. I have one that is hackable and already has autoRCM enabled on 6.2. It has a busted SD connector. It's not the modular SD slot. It's the actual connector for the modular SD adapter on the motherboard. It's been broken off the main board so I cant simply replace it. I was provided with alternate solder points but they are too small to solder correctly for my skills and tools.

I had planned on using it for parts but it would be cool to have it usable for homebrew. What do you guys think?

Switch on OFW 6.2
Fuses burned to match 6.2
Nand backup from 5.1
SX OS license (but no good since no SD)
Hekate works fine
SD card not an option
Extra official dock to go with it

Any way to ever load homebrew on this thing again or scrap it for parts?
No idea, but it's still good for legit use if it's not banned and you have a clean NAND backup. I don't even have a MicroSD in my Switch, I buy physical whenever possible and bought a bunch of eShop exclusives as well with room to spare, if someone like me was low on money and wanted a Switch that'd be a cheap way to get one.
Someone would for sure give you around 100 bucks for just the console itself on eBay. Someone with better soldering skills than yours would also be able to solder on a new connector. Or you can send it in to someone who can repair it such as TronicsFix: https://tronicsfix.com/products/nintendo-switch-repair
They charge $99 for simple repairs like that.

loler55

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No idea, but it's still good for legit use if it's not banned and you have a clean NAND backup. I don't even have a MicroSD in my Switch, I buy physical whenever possible and bought a bunch of eShop exclusives as well with room to spare, if someone like me was low on money and wanted a Switch that'd be a cheap way to get one.
Someone would for sure give you around 100 bucks for just the console itself on eBay. Someone with better soldering skills than yours would also be able to solder on a new connector. Or you can send it in to someone who can repair it such as TronicsFix: https://tronicsfix.com/products/nintendo-switch-repair
They charge $99 for simple repairs like that.
no idea why he should say that the sd reader is broken
except honesty

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
last time i have tryed the sd reader it works like a charm and now? nothing right

but better to sell such things on other local platforms

people like you is why i really appreciate ebay's & paypal's protection, any seller who asks for bank transfer instead he is 100% up to no good,another one just like you

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Look at the source for atmosphere's loading stages (fusee primary & secondary), see if you could modify them to load files from the nand instead of the sd? Then use memloader to put the files in place?

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Look at the source for atmosphere's loading stages (fusee primary & secondary), see if you could modify them to load files from the nand instead of the sd? Then use memloader to put the files in place?
You would need to modify gpt partition table, cut user partition down and put a fat32 partition on the nand.

Then point fusee primary to this so it can use fusee secondary. Make a new memloader ini once you have partitioned.

Then put it all together.

Easiest to Repair the SD reader or replace. Replace btb connector if damaged. Thinking it's a hirose. It isn't a molex.

Or do the "get out of jail" method and do it with wires. I've posted elsewhere how to do this bit.

kylum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would look for someone local to replace/ resolder the connector. Anyone with a hot air or IR rework station and some experience should be able to fix it with ease as long as there is no lifted pads or broken traces.

If I still messed around with SMD rework and you brought me the connector and board(I didn’t have to tear it down). Then I would do it for $20 or $30. Possibly even just a 12 pack of beer. Unfortunately I sold my setup.

I do think that getting it repaired is the best option. Then you could sell a 100% working unit if you decided you didn’t need several switches. If you do sell it not repaired please disclose what is wrong with it completely. Someone with know how will buy it and repair it correctly.

Kafluke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would look for someone local to replace/ resolder the connector. Anyone with a hot air or IR rework station and some experience should be able to fix it with ease as long as there is no lifted pads or broken traces.

If I still messed around with SMD rework and you brought me the connector and board(I didn’t have to tear it down). Then I would do it for $20 or $30. Possibly even just a 12 pack of beer. Unfortunately I sold my setup.

I do think that getting it repaired is the best option. Then you could sell a 100% working unit if you decided you didn’t need several switches. If you do sell it not repaired please disclose what is wrong with it completely. Someone with know how will buy it and repair it correctly.
Yeah I wasnt that careful. I cleaned it up and threw the connector away. I've done some microsoldering but as i grew old my hands aren't that stable anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.