Homebrew and Original games

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by akke92, Feb 11, 2015.

1. akke92
    OP

akke92 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2015
    Hey GBAtemp users!

As you probably already have noticed im very new to this forum so pardon me if the questions asked in this posts might already exist somewhere else on the forums.

So i got the Nintendo Wii U updated to the latest system update, its just a couple of months old and no soft nor hard mods or any other modifications have been done to it. It's on factory firmware.

And i'm wondering.. If i Install homebrew to the console will it prevent me from playing online on game's like Mario kart 8 or Super smash bros? Cause these games i've purchased and i dont feel like loosing the best experience in these games?

Also, am i able to update the system when updates are available? or do i have to stay on the same update as i installed the homebrew on? Cause if not then that would mean i cant even play the games i have purchased for the Wii U, right?

The second question is, Is there any risks of getting a banned console by installing homebrew on it?

Sorry again if i've asked questions that already exists on the forums..
    Thank you!

Cheers.

2. JVC2

JVC2 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2014
    Ecuador
    There is no risk from installing homebrew on it on even the newest FW so go ahead.

3. LysergCooltyp

LysergCooltyp I don't know why the microwave burns

Nov 4, 2011
    You can still go online with the games you bought, however future firmwares might prevent you (temporary) from using homebrew.

4. akke92
    OP

akke92 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2015
    But once there is new System updates coming, how do i update without loosing the homebrew? do i have to reinstall the homebrew to the console or?
    Sorry for being noobish :P

5. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Turn off standby and automatic downloads, and whenever an update is announced, look here before updating. There will always be a fairly detailed cover of what the update does and what it affects in this sub-forum. If it affects vWii homebrew in any way, don't update until a solution is presented, but so far its looking like its never going to (there was one update that bricked the update feature, but it was unintentional on Nintendo's part because it only happened if users patched a vIOS, as long as you don't screw with system files you should be fine)

6. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    Are you asking about vWii (wii mode)bhomebrew or wii u homebrew (once the kernel exploit is out and a good dev community stems from it?

The answer varies significantly depending on what you're asking about...

7. akke92
    OP

akke92 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2015
    I have Wii U and i want to homebrew the vWii on it! :)

8. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
  9. akke92
    OP

akke92 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2015
    But it says that it supports 2.1.0/2.1.3/3.0.1/3.1.0/4.0.0/4.0.2/4.0.3
    but i have 5.4.3 FW? :O

10. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    That info's outdated, it works on all FWs

Wait... 5.4.3? Not 5.3.2??

11. akke92
    OP

akke92 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2015
    Sorry, i meant to write 5.3.2 :P
    So it works on that FW? Well then all i need to get is a 2gb SD-card and i'm good to go i suppose. Oh, and i need some original wii game!
    But sticking to the first question, I can still play my pruchased games onlline and so on right? :)

Oh and i read somewhere that you should block some ip's so that the Wii U wont update automaticly, is that needed?

12. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    You're fine, Nintendo can't even detect what goes on in vWii mode, supposedly. As for IP addresses, read the stickies and they will tell you. That's not required if you are just modding the vWii, though

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  13. akke92
    OP

akke92 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2015
    Alright!
    Thank you very much dude. :)

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.