Hacking Home menu editing

Phratt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you press the home button, it shows the menu that lets you goto the SM or return back to what you were doing.

Would it be possible to redirect that button that goes to SM to HBC instead?

So if I bricked my Wii, I could load a game via savemii frii and then goto the home menu, and click the button thats supposed to bring you to System menu but instead goto Home brew channel. It would essentially tighten up the already tight brick protections.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I actually think that's in the game.

(If you have the first Wii Sports edition, the one that doesn't have the Wiimote jacket warning, the Home menu is different than say, Super Smash Bros Brawl or Mario Kart Wii)

Phratt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
franky86 said:
i think arm is right.

i have a few wiiware games that each have different 'home' menus.

Really?

Oh, so that'd make the whole point of this moot, seeing as if someone was going to make an ISO to boot up, it mind as well just be homebrew.

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No i believe the home menu is on the ios the game uses because when you load an out of region game such as bleach versus crusade the home menu is in english not japanese or do the games in japanese have a english home menu. i ask that because while playing some games for the wii in japanese it has some words in english.
P.S. I MIGHT BE WRONG

icefireicefire

GBATemp Fails.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
blitzer the reason is that it uses the console's language setting.

The home menu is in the games/channels. You can edit it, but it would be pointless and difficult.

Mrkinator

Neil Peart Wannabe
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
icefireicefire said:
blitzer the reason is that it uses the console's language setting.

The home menu is in the games/channels. You can edit it, but it would be pointless and difficult.

Not really, when I was going through RB w/ trucha, I found the homemenu files. They were only .txt files
tongue.gif

friknfrak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "Home Menu" is a menu running in memory at all times the system is in Wii mode (not in GC mode - GC mode turns off the wiimotes).
It's held in memory and uses it's own process thread to be available at any time while in Wii mode.
The structure of the "Home Menu" is coded to the NAND and runs based on basic settings in place, it "seeks" alternate settings from the application (process) proceeding it (EG: a game disc, wiiware, program) and provides the addidtional options based on what it finds from said config.

Yes. The home menu can be modified, well some of it can. You can safely modify it's visual presentation of Buttons and Text. But beyond that, you need to be able to edit the core html layout and good luck doing that with our current collective knowledge
smile.gif

Good luck
smile.gif

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
Wow... how many more (wrong) answers can possibly be posted here?

To clarify: The Home Button Menu is neither part of the System Menu, the IOS or any other system title.
Every game has its own HBM, even the implementation differs between games. However, every game includes HBMs for all languages, even if that game is not supposed to run in that language. For example, the USA version of Tales of Symphonia: DotnW has HBMs in English, the 5 additional European languages, Chinese and Korean, although the game is in English only. If I run it on my (German) Wii System, the HBM will be in German, because it always honors the language setting, while some games do not.

Of course, older games don't have the HBMs for all languages (Korean and Chinese language support was probably not yet planned).

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
That would be cool.. if you could change the language of the console to whatever on the spot along with whatever video mode/region in this homebutton feature at the system menu.

I know that would probably never happen... but man would it be cool...manually on-th-fly region/language changing...

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
friknfrak said:
The "Home Menu" is a menu running in memory at all times the system is in Wii mode (not in GC mode - GC mode turns off the wiimotes).
It's held in memory and uses it's own process thread to be available at any time while in Wii mode.
The structure of the "Home Menu" is coded to the NAND and runs based on basic settings in place, it "seeks" alternate settings from the application (process) proceeding it (EG: a game disc, wiiware, program) and provides the addidtional options based on what it finds from said config.

Yes. The home menu can be modified, well some of it can. You can safely modify it's visual presentation of Buttons and Text. But beyond that, you need to be able to edit the core html layout and good luck doing that with our current collective knowledge
smile.gif

Good luck
smile.gif
Wow, you really sound like you know what you're talking about, but I'm pretty sure the home menu is stored on the game disc, not NAND. Can you prove your theory, or provide a link?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
friknfrak said:

smile.gif

Good luck
smile.gif

proofs ? which structure ?

the menu is more probably common code included with the official devkit and programmers need to integrate it in their program as "HOME" button callback

this was commonly used by most companies to provid easy-to-use routine to their licensed developpers (for example, intro logo)

anyway, there is no hard-coded button callback in the Wii so it's the coder who have to code the routine which :

1/ read the wiimote HOME button status
2/ call the appropriate function which display the HOME menu

finally, as already said, Starlet can NOT access the VIDEO hardware so it's highly doubtable that the Home Menu code is in IOS

It is included in the System Menu code as HOME button handler, like in any other application but the Game Application code can not launch System Menu code directly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill